Patrick Turner

Default 27W PP TRIODE AMP May 2005.

I just posted a schematic for a PP class AB1 PP triode amp
at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

It has several features to explain ideas I use all the time.

There are two different CCS, each one using npn or pnp transistors,
and an LTP driver using trioded EL84 with a CT choke and additional RL
to keep the impedance of the DC supply elements very
high between 50Hz to above 20 kHz .

The CCS used for an active load for the 12AU7 will reduce thd by at
least
8 db over a plain R load.

The CCS used for the CCS from common k of the EL84 LTP
to the negative supply will balance the LTP automatically.

All the possible LF and HF phase tweaking gain tailoring networks are
shown for stabilising the amp
without compromising the HF performance and without
causing any stage to saturate between 16 Hz and 65 kHz at full power
providing the OPT is a half decent.

It is possible to use up to 12 output tubes in parallel PP
with exactly the same input and driver tubes.

Possibly a pair of 6H30 could be used in lieu of the EL84
in the LTP, perhaps at 10 mA per tube, not 12mA, as i suggest,
and with R18 and R19 increased somewhat.

Patrick Turner.

Yves

"Patrick Turner" a écrit dans le message de news:
[...]

Hi Pat !

Someone MUST start to comment your job since gurus seem ignoring that thing
wich not uses a 300b nor even a 6SN7, but rather relies on tiny noval ****s,
not to tell about incongruate SS ;))

So, I pull the choke and turn the key.

Great job.
The only eye scratching is the huge negative supply where the CCS returns.
I undertand that it is somewhat "already available" for biasing the PP, but
at much lower current !
A dozen of volts is more than enough and don't really need to be "well
filtered", this could reduce the heat generated by the CCS.
On the other hand, with more than 70v accross, perhaps an hi perveance
pentode could do the job ? Dunno !

In true, this was just to tell something, the only point I wish you enlight
is the detail of building this "TURNER SPECIAL" center taped choke.

Cheers, Yves.

Tom Schlangen

Hi Patrick,

I suppose the center tapped choke has an inductance of
100H-CT-100H?

Just for the records and since I am looking for a very
wide swing PP frontend, what peak-peak swing could be
reasonably expected from this LTP?

Tnx2u,

Tom

--
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
Tom Schlangen

Just for the records and since I am looking for a very
wide swing PP frontend, what peak-peak swing could be
reasonably expected from this LTP?

Looking at the plate curves and assuming an almost
horizontal load line due to the choke, this would be
in excess of 300 Vpp even when allowing for a -Vg1
safety margin.

But since the load line is not horizontal in real
world due to the load being driven, I am wondering
wether a few more mAs, say, 20 for each EL84, would
reduce THD even more?

Tom

--
The first rule of magick is simple: Don't waste your time
waving your hands and hoping, when a rock or club will do.
Patrick Turner

Yves wrote:

[...]

So, for those who like DHT, let them use
2A3 for the LTP, and 300B for the outputs.

But the input would need to have more gain....

Really clever dicks would have a choke + R from LTP cathodes to 0V
in place of a CCS.

And maybe they could use paraphase drive to one of the LTP triodes,
to make more gain, rather than ground one grid like I have.

All sorts of things are possible!

So, I pull the choke and turn the key.

Great job.
The only eye scratching is the huge negative supply where the CCS returns.
I undertand that it is somewhat "already available" for biasing the PP, but
at much lower current !

Well its easy to find a small tranny with 50v, or use a doubler of 25vrms to
get -70v at up to say 100 mA; that's only 7VA.

Instead of using small cap values for the -70v supply,
I recommend CRC filter with 470 uF, a choke of 2H, and another 470 uF.

The CCS supply needn't be completely filtered since the CCS tail is megohms
of R, and the common cathode Rin is hundreds of ohms, so PS noise does not
get into the LTP.

A dozen of volts is more than enough and don't really need to be "well
filtered", this could reduce the heat generated by the CCS.
On the other hand, with more than 70v accross, perhaps an hi perveance
pentode could do the job ? Dunno !

The single bjt is sonically silent, effective, simple, and cheap.
The larger the Re for the bjt, the higher the value of actual collector
resistance; its far higher than using any damn pentode.

In true, this was just to tell something, the only point I wish you enlight
is the detail of building this "TURNER SPECIAL" center taped choke.

The 'Turner LTP' name tag has been attatched to my way
of building an LTP.
The choke is an ungapped choke with a CT.
Its quite easy to get a sufficient amount of inductance without a gap.
The CT chokes I used in my 300 watters
has 25mm stack of 25mm tongue GOSS material, µ max = 5,000,
taken from some old trannies I stripped down.

The bobbin is a preformed plastic type with a divider in the centre
as commonly used for small mains trannies wound with
primary one side and secondary on the other.
I placed an equal number into each space using 0.2 mm dia wire,
using random winding carefully built up to fill the bobbin.

I got over 200H of L, plenty when Ra is so low.
The load the EL84 have due to the 8.2k and L
is over hundreds of kohms at 1 kHz, so the main load the EL84 see is
the 100k following grid bias R. the bias R could be lower, but then
the coupling caps of 0.47 may need increasing to 2 uF.

The 8.2k R act to give at least 8K2 load at DC and HF, where the
Lp and Cshunt would otherwise cause a 90 degree phase shift.
The 8k2 prevent the ultimate phase shifts occuring, and a large amount
of NFB can be used.

But where NFB isn't to be used, or only 6 dB of NFB, the 8k2
may be be omitted.

When that is done the output Z of the LTP is lower, since the two anodes are
coupled
closely and magnetically.

The inductance of the choke varies like all ungapped chokes with
applied voltage and F, like a primary of an OPT.
So the more turns one uses, the greater the L, and in fact
if both lots of turns and a large core is used the choke can be gapped anyway,
and this makes the choke have a more stable value of L.

The choke I used had about 2,500 turns to each 1/2 bobbin section.
So L max was about 650H.
At 100Hz the ZL = 400kohms.

I also used chokes on my latest 8585 amp
which EL84 LTP with a choke using about 8,000 turns of 0.15 dia wire around
10mm stack of 25mm tongue, and that works just fine.

The 0.2 mm dia thicker wire I recommend makes the choke more rugged.
If a tube saturates the 8k2 resistors develop a maximum
short circuit I = 55mA, and the coil won't burn out.

0.2 mm wire is rated for 94 mA at 3 amps per sq.mm.

This LTP will have much lower 3H compared to all normal
LTP using the same tubes and current.
Like all LTP, the Ro of each half is high when measure separately,
so if such an arrangement is used to drive an AB2 amp
the use of another CF stage is neccessary.

But then the need to have fairly high idle current in the LTP gain block is
reduced since Cin of a CF stage is very low, so ordinary R loaded LTP is OK.
The same choke can then be used to drive an output pair with each
1/2 winding having is own bias voltage to each grid of the OPV, thus eliminating

the RC grid coupling.
The CF drive with a choke gives good regulation of the bias voltage in fixed
bias AB2 amp,
and can cope very well with grid current.
Since the Ro of the CF is so low, the LF phase shift caused by the
choke does not occur until an extremely LF is reached.

There must be 50 ways to build a driver.....

Another way to use EL84 in an LTP is to run them in pentode,
which would make their gain over about 150, and then use NFB to the
"idle" input grid from a R divider taken from the appropriate following grid
bias R.

Instead of increasing gain like one does with a normal paraphase phase inverter,

which really is an application of a mild amount of local positive feedback,
one can apply local NFB, and reduce the gain to around what one enjoys
with the simpler triode connection.
The pentodes without NFB would be terrible, since the thd and gain
would be quite excessive.

Also 6EJ7 in triode would be rather good.

Patrick Turner.

Cheers, Yves.

Patrick Turner

Tom Schlangen wrote:

Hi Patrick,

I suppose the center tapped choke has an inductance of
100H-CT-100H?

I reckoned 650H a-a max, but 100H a-a is ok.

My other post has more about the details.

Just for the records and since I am looking for a very
wide swing PP frontend, what peak-peak swing could be
reasonably expected from this LTP?

About 110vrms, or 300V p-p.

The trioded EL 84 are operating like they would in a class A power amp
with a very high a-a RL.
The possible low thd V swing is gi-normous.

Patrick Turner.

Tnx2u,

Tom

--
The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. But the
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
- Niels Bohr

Patrick Turner

Tom Schlangen wrote:

Just for the records and since I am looking for a very
wide swing PP frontend, what peak-peak swing could be
reasonably expected from this LTP?

Looking at the plate curves and assuming an almost
horizontal load line due to the choke, this would be
in excess of 300 Vpp even when allowing for a -Vg1
safety margin.

But since the load line is not horizontal in real
world due to the load being driven, I am wondering
wether a few more mAs, say, 20 for each EL84, would
reduce THD even more?

The load on the EL84 in this case is about 90k for each tube,
so the load line is nearly flat, and
there is little to be gained by using more Ia.

Patrick Turner.

Tom

--
The first rule of magick is simple: Don't waste your time
waving your hands and hoping, when a rock or club will do.

Yves

"Patrick Turner" a écrit dans le message de news:

[ . . . ]
[...]

Duh ? the inductance varies with F ?

So the more turns one uses, the greater the L, and in fact
if both lots of turns and a large core is used the choke can be gapped

anyway,
and this makes the choke have a more stable value of L.

The choke I used had about 2,500 turns to each 1/2 bobbin section.

So far so good !
Now I have a starting point, Tnx2u

So L max was about 650H.
At 100Hz the ZL = 400kohms.

I also used chokes on my latest 8585 amp
which EL84 LTP with a choke using about 8,000 turns of 0.15 dia wire

around
10mm stack of 25mm tongue, and that works just fine.

Even smaller than I expected !

[ . . . ]
The same choke can then be used to drive an output pair with each
1/2 winding having is own bias voltage to each grid of the OPV, thus

eliminating

the RC grid coupling.
The CF drive with a choke gives good regulation of the bias voltage in

fixed
bias AB2 amp,
and can cope very well with grid current.
Since the Ro of the CF is so low, the LF phase shift caused by the
choke does not occur until an extremely LF is reached.

There must be 50 ways to build a driver.....

Plus 1, of course !
I was just wondering to put the CT choke in the grids of the output stage,
single ended driven (thru a cap) by a triode feeded by a single resistor or
a CCS.
In fact, a classic auto tranny PI !
I hope it has less stringent requirements than a real tranny.
(Someone asked me how to drive a 6C33 PP ;))

[ . . . ]

Patrick Turner.

Cheers, Yves.

Patrick Turner

Yves wrote:

[...]

Yes.

The µ of the iron is at a maximum at some low F, around 30 Hz,
and then it falls away to almost nothing above 10 kHz.

L = ( 1.26 x Np squared x Afe x µ ) / ( 1,000,000,000 x ML )

L in in henrys,
1.26 is a constant,
Np is the turns around the core,
Afe = stack height x tongue width = sq.mm,
µ = iron µ from the data on the iron for the F concerned,
1,000,000,000 is a constant,
ML is the magnetic path length around an ungapped core.

The impedance of an inductor does not vary upwards
in direct proportion to the rise in F.
µ falls as F rises, so at 1 kHz, L will be a lot less than at 30 Hz.

But the impedance of the inductor, or the reactance, Z,
expressed in ohms
= L in henrys x 2 x pye x F.
= L x 6.28 x F.

So if L = 50H at 1 khz,

Z = 50 x 6.28 x 1,000 = 314kohms, a very high figure for a load on the EL84
triode.

L also varies with applied voltage, so that at 1v a-a, the choke above may have
only
20H at 30 Hz, not 650H at say 200 vrms a-a in the LTP.

So the inductance appears to be a non linear impedance during each
wave cycle, and its Z is lowest at the zero crossing point of the sine wave.
The result is that the tubes will see a slightly varying load with voltage, and
that means
some 3H distortions, usually below 0.03% at the worst at say 5 vrms output, at
the choke.
However, the Ra of the triodes is so low, and we have the 8k2 "buffer
resistors"
in series with the choke, so although there may indeed be considerable 3H at
the ends of the choke
winding present, the low Ra of the triodes of around 2.2k each will divide the
3H down from
a high amount to a low amount of say 0.01% worst case at the triode anodes,
and at least less than the triode distortion of say 0.01% at 5 vrms output.
At 80 vrms output from each anode of this LTP its possible to see
less than 0.3 % thd, mostly 3H, since the 2H mostly gets cancelled.
despite the problems with iron distortions and its non linear behaviour,
it still acts with great benefits in this type of circuit.

With a CF dribing a choke, Ra from EL84 inn triode is effectively
reduced to perhaps 150 ohms, and this shunts the non linear impedance of the
iron,
which varies from 10kohms to maybe 500kohms, which does not matter because
whatever ZL is, its a far higher, and unable to affect the low Ro of
the CF, or indeed the Ra at the anodes from the LTP.

So the more turns one uses, the greater the L, and in fact
if both lots of turns and a large core is used the choke can be gapped

anyway,
and this makes the choke have a more stable value of L.

The choke I used had about 2,500 turns to each 1/2 bobbin section.

So far so good !
Now I have a starting point, Tnx2u

So L max was about 650H.
At 100Hz the ZL = 400kohms.

I also used chokes on my latest 8585 amp
which EL84 LTP with a choke using about 8,000 turns of 0.15 dia wire

around
10mm stack of 25mm tongue, and that works just fine.

Even smaller than I expected !

It took time to wind though.

And its easy to break 0.15 wire.

I had little room to place the chokes into the 8585.

But they work well.

[ . . . ]
[...]

Where little or no global NFB is used, the
CT choke becomes really like the primary of an OPT,
and both anodes of a PP driver are locked magnetically together.
One can wind a 1:1 IST, with P and S windings each with 5,000 turns,
although a larger window is needed in the core, but same total Afe
of about 600 sq.mm will do.
The P and S windings can be divided into 4 quarter windings, with one
CT primary taken to B+ and anodes,
and the other CT secondary taken to 0V and the grids.
The OPV are cathode biased for class A.
The ends of the P and S windings have 2 uF caps to shunt the
leakage inductance and you have an excellent PP driver for
any PP output stage. GE proposed all this back in 1957.

If Ra is low enough, and Lp high enough, its possible to make an amp without
coupling caps at all and use only magnetic coupling.

Ths way the amp can be made to have no proplems with grid current charging up
coupling caps, and class AB2 is easy.

What I am proposing is for hi-fi amps, and strictly class AB1 only.
For grid current you really always need a CF driver stage.

Patrick Turner.

[ . . . ]

Patrick Turner.

Cheers, Yves.

Thanks for sending the schematic, Patrick.

If you insist on speakers requiring massive amounts of power, like 27W,
you will definitely need an amp like this! I thought it was nicely
developed, though I would have tried, for no good technical reason,
merely because people are prejucdiced, to hold NFB down to 10dB. I'm
very keen on constant current loads by MJE 350 myself; note that I call
it a load. It sinks current only when applied to the cathode, as in
your MJE340 example. I also like the idea of an EL84 as a driver very
much. A sweet little tube.

I'm not so keen on fixed bias with adjustment, even in DIY hands. One
of the great things about autobias is that the amp is essentially
service-free until the power tubes give up the ghost. Fixed bias,
except by battery for small signal tubes, should be reserved for bass
freaks and other street corner boomboxers.

I understand that you essentially present this schemo as a teaching
exercise to explain stages you use all the time; to that purpose it is
a comprehensive success. However, viewing it as an amp someone serious
could build I have to conclude that, overall, this is a tremendous
amount of engineering that I wouldn't have done if I were you. Since
you know how to design and wind your own transformers, and there are
already two pieces of iron in the signal chain on this amp, why not
avoid all that engineering and design and components and make the
entire thing all iron, zero caps, very few resistors? For instance a
step up/splitter transformer into the EL84 grids and another beefier IT
with secondaries to the KT88 grids and bingo, the circuit is incredibly
simplified, more value has been added, a higher price can be demanded.
Your split choke is clever but a full IT would be even cleverer.

Brian Sowter many years ago gave me an all-iron coupled PP 211 design
which was said at the time to be Kondo's personal favourite, not the SE
Ongaku which got all the publicity. Studying that circuit, I understood
why. Costing the transformers I grasped much more quickly why more
people don't do it!

Andre Jute

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

John Stewart

" wrote:

Yo, Patrick:

This sounds interesting but it isn't on the ABSE available to me
(Syracuse U). Can you please send the schemo to my mailbox:

Thanks.

Andre Jute

Same at this location. After several daze still nothing at ABSE. Not sure
why.
Please send along your schemo. Thanx, John Stewart

Patrick Turner

" wrote:

Thanks for sending the schematic, Patrick.

If you insist on speakers requiring massive amounts of power, like 27W,
you will definitely need an amp like this! I thought it was nicely
developed, though I would have tried, for no good technical reason,
merely because people are prejucdiced, to hold NFB down to 10dB. I'm
very keen on constant current loads by MJE 350 myself; note that I call
it a load. It sinks current only when applied to the cathode, as in
your MJE340 example. I also like the idea of an EL84 as a driver very
much. A sweet little tube.

I have found the dynamics to be truly crisp and real with EL84 in triode.
Its almost exactly equal to 5 x half sections of 6SN7/6CG7.
27 watts is a massive amount of power for some, but for others its barely
enough.

The LTP all works fine without any grid current.

Now as i said, one could deploy less than 12 dB of NFB.
In one of my other posts i went on to describe Ro without NFB with 2 x
KT88/6550.

Ra-a is about 2,200 ohms while operating in class A, which is all we need
to worry about here
because the AB operation where Ro increases the amp has little function,
since
90% of users will only use 2 watts average, and won't make much use of the
AB working ability.

So with a 6k to 6 ohm OPT, ZR = 1,000:1, so without NFB Ro = 2.2 ohms.
( one needs to add winding losses, not much if kept to a nice low 5% )

KT90 used as triode will have lower Ra-a, so maybe Ro = about 1.5 ohms.

Using a quad of EL34, or the better 6CA7 with no change to the OPT ZR,
Ra-a will be about 1,200 ohms, so the Ro will also be around equal to 2 x
KT90
or around 1.5 ohms.

In such a case the power output won't increase much, maybe to 35 watts,
but you get slightly more class A and less thd, and more current ability.

10 dB NFB would be fine, and as everyone should know,
Ro varies as 1 / ( µ x ß ), not 1 / ( gain x ß ), so
10 dB will reduce Ro about 3 times, and thus a DF of nearly 10
is attained even with 2 x KT88/6550.

Now of course if we used 300B, we would perhaps use Ea = 420 v max,
and about the same PP power is possible, but the Ra-a is like
KT90 = 1,600 ohms and considerably lower than KT88/6550.

300B in PP are quite nice.

I'm not so keen on fixed bias with adjustment, even in DIY hands.

I agree entirely, and cathode bias is a valid option.
In my other circuits the bias voltage is fixed, and only the balance is
altered, and a two transistor circuit senses out of balance DC of more than
4 mA
in the OPT, and a led turns on if it unbalances.
There is a balancing pot with a small knob, and a user sees a glowing led,
and adjusts
the balance until it is extinguished, and thats that, no meter, no
measuring, no worry either.

If he runs out of travel and an led won't turn off, the tubes or something
else is wrong,
and active protection takes care of over-currenting in the tube,
ie, twice the bias current for more than 4 seconds.

So imbalance in bias current is seen across the room.
Plenty of warning, and no sudden Mt Vesuvious in the loungeroom,
with a lawsuit to follow.

The biasing as I have drawn it is optional.

Even though fixed bias is the best performing bias method
when testing with a sine wave in an AB1 amp, testing with pink noise
or busy rock music with clipping just starting to occur
on the peaks usually doesn't cause much change in the Ek of either
output triode with cathode bias.

Of course such biasing isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Allen Wright would scoff at cathode bias, and tell us
to have commoned cathodes of the output tubes
and use a constant current sink ( a power transistor of some kind )
and no bypass caps, rather like the way my PP driver tubes are set up.

Thus one gets ONLY class A from such output tubes, and the very
maximum of 2H current cancellations, and Allen says it always sounds
better.

Ppl are welcome to try these options.

One
of the great things about autobias is that the amp is essentially
service-free until the power tubes give up the ghost. Fixed bias,
except by battery for small signal tubes, should be reserved for bass
freaks and other street corner boomboxers.

I agree, but I have sold a few FB amps and with the active balance
indicators,
and active protection, I have had no customer problems.

[...]

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying, and I suggest ppl try
things.

The step up tranny phase inverter idea is quite nice.
But with any global NFB, there could be LF/HF instability
since you have time constants caused by LR, rather than much lower
and predictable CR time constants.

The design as presented uses a CT choke made using 5,000 turns
of 0.2 mm dia wire around a core with 25 stack x 25 tongue wasteless,
but suitable C-cores would be ideal if one found some.
By the GOSS E&I are not that uncommon, and almost
any DIYer could make the CT choke.

The chokes is isolated from the EL84 anodes, so the coupling
to the output tube grids is very pure, direct, without the effects of
LL and shunt C and Lp that one would get with an IST, not to mention
the trimming one has to do with a zobel to get the response to be flat, not

peaked due to resonances at HF, all rather difficult for a DIYer without a
CRO,
and hardly any knowledge of filter theory.

I might at that as drawn, the LTP has anode loads on each EL84 of around
80 kohms at 1 kHz, and its these loads which cause the balance in the
circuit
while the RL seen by each tube is equal.
In my 300 watters, which need about 75 vrms from each EL84 anode,
the anode loads are each 6 x 120k in parallel, or 20k,
and the choke + 8k2 load together so high it has negligible loading effect,

thus the balance is excellent, and thd very low and the
grid bias R low enough to control the phenomena of grids slowly
going a bit positive in relation to the actual applied grid bias.

Therefore, in hindsight, using say 2 uF coupling caps from the EL84 anodes
and say 33 k output tube grid bias R would be quite OK and
give a pole at 2.4 Hz, instead of the 3.3 Hz using 0.47 uF and 100k.

Brian Sowter many years ago gave me an all-iron coupled PP 211 design
which was said at the time to be Kondo's personal favourite, not the SE
Ongaku which got all the publicity. Studying that circuit, I understood
why. Costing the transformers I grasped much more quickly why more
people don't do it!

PP 211 in class A1 can make around 40 watts without grid I.
And a heck of a lot more po with class AB2.

The voltage supply to the grids is easy while in A1, or AB1, but
as soon as AB2 is considered, the Ro of the driver amp has to be
very low, and a pair of CF driving the IST or some such arrangement
would become necessary.
I have not dallied with 211, or seen what Sowter suggest,
but yeah, a good IST can be worth a good OPT.

For AB2 drive, an IST with 1:1 ratio makes sense, because
there can be two equal windings, each with a CT, or with a secondary with
2 halves, each taken to a bias voltage for each tube,
while the active ends of P and S windings can be capacitor shunted
using typically 10 uF, which will shunt the leakage inductance
between P&S windings, so that at HF the drive does not have the
problems of phase shift and response droop caused by
the instaneous grid current load applying itself.

Usually 1:1 ratio IST have less response problems than 1:2 designs;
so we must be able to produce the full output tube Vswing,
but I would always insist that this isn't problematic
knowing what we do today, and while we keep away from the
low fidelity low performance bean counter inspired designs of 60 years ago.

I will try to find time to draw up a few more ideas on the subject
tomorrow.

One fundemental reason why one *needs* to keep the driver stage
of a PP amp as linear as possible is that the thd will mostly
be 3H of the wave crest flattening type, so any
3H of the driver adds to that of the output stage.

One a;lternative to a choke is to use a much higher B+
for the driver stage than I have indicated, and use larger value
DC anode supply resistors.

To that purpose, if the PSU has a pair of diodes from a CT HT winding
so that say 370-0-370vrms is rectified to make +500v at the output of the
CLC
filter, then it is possible to make +1,000v using a voltage doubler
riding on top of the main anode PS and this 1,000v
can be CRC filtered down to about +600v, and
if Ea of the EL84 = +250v, then the DC RLs can each be 35k
if we also creep the Ia of each EL84 down to 10 mA each.
The 35k to each anode is sufficiently low value to
make sure good balance is possible due to the cathode CCS.
The the bias of the output tubes can be as i have shown and RL
of each EL84 anode = 26k, or over 10 x Ra, so thd will
remain in the very low zone, and we have not had to
wind a darn choke. But we still will have needed to
create the highish voltage supply, which is nervous nelly time for diyers.

I have done exactly this type of extended supply B+ driver supply
for one of my amps which has a sixpack of class AB1 6CA7 driven with
a pair of 6SN7 in the LTP, one paralleled tube each side of the LTP.
( 6V6 in triode is terrific also ).

While an EL84 or maybe 6V6 is as cheap as a 6SN7, or better
grade 6CG7, I reckon there is great value with EL84,
which will always be with us at least for the rest of my lifetime.

If one is determined to make an all iron coupled PP amp,
then the IST is a must.
but I still think some R damping or termination of the secondary
may be needed, and if so, one R of the two can be used to
provide the positive feedback to make the PP
input stage into parafeed, so making the amp twice as
sensitive as where one uses an LTP with single input.
Parafeed with a CCS cathode I supply is still best.

If one wants to get rid of the usual input tube, then the driver
can be made using your cherished 417A, or perhaps
a pair of 12AT7, with both halves paralleled.
12AT7 will thus havev µ = 55, Ra = about 10k for
10 mA in the total of two triodes, so a circuit gain
of 45 is realizable, so only 2 vrms input is needed to make
90 vrms a-a output.
But 12AT7 isn't the most linear driver when making such highish
output voltages, and we could wonder that using an input stage
like I have shown with medium µ triode LTP is a better approach,
since for one thing, the input tube buffers the LTP input from the source.

Then the preamp doesn't have to have such high gain, or be necessary at
all,
just a gain pot will do, unless we have vinyl.
But certainly no line stage preamp is needed with a 3 stage power amp.

One further way of building an LTP with better linearity using
tubes such as 12AT7 is to use an R divider to derive NFB from the opposite
tube that one normally takes the positive FB drive to make a paraphase
circuit.
The CCS must stay, to get balance, and RL of each tube must be equal,
but the gain can be reduced from say 45 to 15, and the thd also reduced.
Its still bothersome for the DIYer to get right, so I prefer the
simplicity of the LTP with drive to one side only and the use of medium µ
triodes.
The Miller C with the LTP I have shown is the static Cg-a x gain,
which I think is about 12pF x 9.5 = 114pF for triode connection,
so there is a fair amount of Cin.
The 12AU7 Ra of around 5k will make a pole at about 300kHz,
and even higher with C7,R8 stepping networks added....so not a worry.

Patrick Turner.

Andre Jute

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

I must go cook shortly, so I'll leave all the side issues you raise for
the others to discuss.

That design Brian Sowter gave me for PP all-IT 211 was not his design
but drawn by Kondo as a companion amp for the Ongaku; I imagine Sowter
got it from Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note UK; Peter sent me, many years
ago, a stack of truly eye-opening designs that Kondo (or someone on his
staff, more likely) collected in Japan. My own experience with 211 is
nowhere near as agreeable as with the superficially similar 845. I
think the 845 is a fundamentally better-sounding tube, well worth the
contortions required in the drivetrain to get it to work.

I wondered about replacing the KT88 with EL34 in your design, a
possibibility you now volunteer. Whether the American version is truly
better is a matter of opinion. My father-in-law worked for Mullard and
I still have a few of the best EL34 ever made left. I can also order
good quality EL34 for next-day delivery right out of the RS catalogue,
which is a definite consideration.

Replacing a 12AU7 with a 12AT7 will affect the sound of the finished
article, make it more precise and dryer, given of course that the
difference is not swamped in NFB (another thing I have against NFB, its
homogenizing tendency). Whether you consider that an improvement is a
matter of taste. I happen to like the 12AT7, a far superior tube
sonically speaking to the wretched waffling 12AX7 that a whole
underclass of designers reach for as a conditioned reflex. I also like
the 12AU7 for its warmth.

Your remark about the EL84 being so many parallel 6SN7 puts it a
civilized yet precise tube in perfect perspective. This unassuming
little power tube is one of the great class acts of the world.

Are you saying, towards the end of your post, that your centre-tapped
choked was chosen over an IT merely because it is easier to wind for
some notional DIYer? Or are you saying it is fundamentally superior to
an IT?

Andre Jute

Patrick Turner wrote:
" wrote:

[...]

So with a 6k to 6 ohm OPT, ZR =3D 1,000:1, so without NFB Ro =3D 2.2

ohms.
( one needs to add winding losses, not much if kept to a nice low 5%

)

KT90 used as triode will have lower Ra-a, so maybe Ro =3D about 1.5

ohms.

Using a quad of EL34, or the better 6CA7 with no change to the OPT

ZR,
Ra-a will be about 1,200 ohms, so the Ro will also be around equal to

2 x
KT90
or around 1.5 ohms.

In such a case the power output won't increase much, maybe to 35

watts,
but you get slightly more class A and less thd, and more current

ability.

10 dB NFB would be fine, and as everyone should know,
Ro varies as 1 / ( =B5 x =DF ), not 1 / ( gain x =DF ), so
10 dB will reduce Ro about 3 times, and thus a DF of nearly 10
is attained even with 2 x KT88/6550.

Now of course if we used 300B, we would perhaps use Ea =3D 420 v max,
and about the same PP power is possible, but the Ra-a is like
KT90 =3D 1,600 ohms and considerably lower than KT88/6550.

300B in PP are quite nice.

[...]

if Ea of the EL84 =3D +250v, then the DC RLs can each be 35k
if we also creep the Ia of each EL84 down to 10 mA each.
The 35k to each anode is sufficiently low value to
make sure good balance is possible due to the cathode CCS.
The the bias of the output tubes can be as i have shown and RL
of each EL84 anode =3D 26k, or over 10 x Ra, so thd will
[...]

12AT7 will thus havev =B5 =3D 55, Ra =3D about 10k for
10 mA in the total of two triodes, so a circuit gain
of 45 is realizable, so only 2 vrms input is needed to make
90 vrms a-a output.
But 12AT7 isn't the most linear driver when making such highish
output voltages, and we could wonder that using an input stage
like I have shown with medium =B5 triode LTP is a better approach,
[...]

medium =B5
triodes.
The Miller C with the LTP I have shown is the static Cg-a x gain,
which I think is about 12pF x 9.5 =3D 114pF for triode connection,

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Ian Iveson

"Patrick Turner" wrote

I just posted a schematic for a PP class AB1 PP triode amp
at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

It has several features to explain ideas I use all the time.

There are two different CCS, each one using npn or pnp
transistors,
and an LTP driver using trioded EL84 with a CT choke and
additional RL
to keep the impedance of the DC supply elements very
high between 50Hz to above 20 kHz ....

I spent some time explaining the faults of this "design" to Patrick,
and got foul-mouthed in return, as is usual if anyone questions his
"ideas". I have asked for elucidation and got the usual evasive
waffle and random babbling...quotations from RDH, I assume.

He sold the prototype regardless, as usual, as if it were proven or
even properly tested.

Simulation confirms it is just what it seems: a pathetic
embarrassment to anyone with even half a notion of circuit design.

Patrick's unique selling point is his claim to wind decent
traditional chokes and transformers. Convincing daft Australians to
shell out for an extra 200H to no real purpose is a nothing but a
cynical ploy.

Tired of arguing, and less eager now to help a grasping fool.
Perhaps that's obvious.

So, anyone else prepared to defend the use of two EL84, 200H of
differential mode choke, and an SS current source, as a general
purpose splitter / driver?

cheers, Ian

Ian Iveson

"Yves" wrote

Hi Tom,
There is a square root missing, but where ? Help Patrick !!

Two windings in series on the same core. Inductance is proportional
to square of turns, hence

2^2=4

4*50=200

cheers, Ian

From the negation of the negation arises new truth...Hegel, more or
less.

Patrick Turner

" wrote:

I must go cook shortly, so I'll leave all the side issues you raise for
the others to discuss.

That design Brian Sowter gave me for PP all-IT 211 was not his design
but drawn by Kondo as a companion amp for the Ongaku; I imagine Sowter
got it from Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note UK; Peter sent me, many years
ago, a stack of truly eye-opening designs that Kondo (or someone on his
staff, more likely) collected in Japan. My own experience with 211 is
nowhere near as agreeable as with the superficially similar 845. I
think the 845 is a fundamentally better-sounding tube, well worth the
contortions required in the drivetrain to get it to work.

Possibly you are right; superficially i see the 845 as a more triodic power
triode than an
845; low µ, low Ra, and far easier to wind an OPT for.

Maybe the difficulties of the higher RLa-a for PP 211 and the need for good
insulation
at B+ = 1250v, that ppl get lazt, and wind less than optimal OPTs, but I am
guessing a bit
about general traits....

I wondered about replacing the KT88 with EL34 in your design, a
possibibility you now volunteer. Whether the American version is truly
better is a matter of opinion.

The US version is really an EL34 imposter, since 6CA7 is a beam tetrode,
not a true pentode, like EL34, and its little nephews, EL84, EL86 etc.
But I think the 6CA7 is the best poor man's 6550 I have heard music with.

My father-in-law worked for Mullard and
I still have a few of the best EL34 ever made left. I can also order
good quality EL34 for next-day delivery right out of the RS catalogue,
which is a definite consideration.

Svetlana are supposed to be good.
Sovtek are making Mullard copies that look very close to the real thing
that was made in many countries; we had tube factories in Oz which churned
our
millions of tubes of many types, including EL34, and other ELxx family
members.

Replacing a 12AU7 with a 12AT7 will affect the sound of the finished
article, make it more precise and dryer, given of course that the
difference is not swamped in NFB (another thing I have against NFB, its
homogenizing tendency). Whether you consider that an improvement is a
matter of taste. I happen to like the 12AT7, a far superior tube
sonically speaking to the wretched waffling 12AX7 that a whole
underclass of designers reach for as a conditioned reflex. I also like
the 12AU7 for its warmth.

I agree entirely; I myself wouldn't ask more than 10vrms from any 12AX7.
I'd never use them as LTP halves like in the mullard 520.
I did use X7 as a paralleled input triode in an 8585, but
and it sounded warm and nice, but when I replaced it with 12AT7
to do the same job in the same place, the sound had more speed and
dynamics.
12AU7, like 6CG7, are OK for inputs and LTP.

Your remark about the EL84 being so many parallel 6SN7 puts it a
civilized yet precise tube in perfect perspective. This unassuming
little power tube is one of the great class acts of the world.

µ = 20, Ra = 2,200 at 14 mA, and if you had 5 halves of
6SN7 each with µ = 20, and Ra = 10k at 2.8 mA, then
the EL84 is like the 5 halves of SN7.

I would guess that if one considers the screen to grid1 to cathode
dimensions and the relative grid wire pitch, the relationship
would be remarkably similar to 6SN7.
The later versions of 6SN7 had about 25mm long folded box sections
for anodes, and two of these were crammed into a mini 9 pinner botle
to make the 6CG7, and all that changed was a screen between triodes, and a
derating on the maximum Pd.
Same tube otherwise though.
Telefunken made 6CG7 with plate structures of folded metal,
about 1/2 the size of the larger Mullard versions.
The Teles are the best I have heard; those germans knew
how to make great tubes.

If you can make a 6CG7 which has half the physical size to another brand,
yet Ra, µ, and gm are all the same, then one could make a larger plated
6SN7.
With slight fiddling with spacings, Ra can be lower, gm higher, and the
same
useful µ, and it seems that µ = 20 is about an optimal value for linearity.

Are you saying, towards the end of your post, that your centre-tapped
choked was chosen over an IT merely because it is easier to wind for
some notional DIYer? Or are you saying it is fundamentally superior to
an IT?

It depends how it is used of course.
The CT choke + CCS + RC coupling suits only class A1, AB1 amps where
no grid current flows to cause a dramatic rise in thd.

I cannot see any superiority in an IST over my arrangement.
One is linking the driver tube anode signal voltage as intimately
as possible to the output grids over the widest bandwidth.
One is isolating the effects of phase shift, iron distortions, shunt
capacitance
if one chooses to use R between choke ends and anodes.

The R-L-CT-L-R arrangement to convey the DC to the triode driver tube
gives the best possible advantages of both resistive and inductive
of the far simpler use of simple resistor loads for the same purpose.
The choke avoids the current change in such DC carrying resistors, and
where
I change is heavy in a triode, so to is thd, and if it is an LTP, that
means 3H.

Today I hauled out my breadboard prototype for this sort of LTP
and thoroughly tested it with a variety of loads and coditions of
PFB, as used in most paraphase concoctions,
and which I don't favour, and NFB, which then means the input voltage
has to be too large, so I don't much favour that either.
I will be drawing up the schematic I used and values and response results
and posting them when i get time.

the schematic I used has 4.7k in series at each anode instead of 8.2k.
When set up as a normal LTP but driven one side only with cap coupled
RL = 25k to each anode, I was able to get 150vrms from each anode
at 1 kHz, 3% thd / onset of clipping, Ea = 300, Iaq = 13 mA.
The measured Ro at each anode when measured seperately
when setting the output at 75vrms, and reducing Rl from 25k to 10k
on just one side of the LTP was 1.7k ohms, remarkably low.

Clearly, the choke isn't just acting as a choke, but
as an auto transformer, and when RL is reduced on one side of the LTP,
there is a reaction on the other side, which was a very slight increase in
Vo.
To make such a measurment, one keeps the input voltage constant.
VRL with 25k = 75.2v,
VRL with 10k = 68.6v,
V change = 6.6v,
IRL change = 6.686 mA - 3 mA = 3.86 mA.

Source Resistance, Ro, = 6.6 / 3.86 = 1.7kohms

One can calculate what Ro would be if the DC carrying RL
was 35 instead to each anode, and with no choke.
It'd always be a higher measurement compared to the above.

I don't care that my LTP idea is neither "fish nor feather"
as they might say about a platypus, but hey, even a platypus
has surprising addaptability in the inland Oz river systems.

So the LTP with a choke has wide bw, low thd, low Ro,
and the choke part is easy, not too critical, even if the turns
to each 1/2 of the choke are 10% different it won't affect the operation
much.
What more does one want?
Sorry, its not as simple as could be, but then Einstein said something
about everything needing to be as simple as possible, but no simpler.

The only better thing might be a current mirror.
But AAAAHHHHHH, I don't like such things; SS with a high voltage swing
is asking for early eventual failure, and SS does have the
capacity to lock the + and - v swings together, as is the case with the
magnetic element,
so that each side of the LTP output is driven by two tubes mutually.

T make the equivalent of a CT choke using discrete bjts isn't
impossible. It does mean that one would have some
interesting circuitry which woukd have to be more active than the
two arms of a current mirror. And the choke still allows a
voltage swing *above* the supply voltage, something a CCS cannot do.
The eternal mysterious beauty of the transformer is its capability
to send voltage going +ve and above a B+ supply as a result of
a linear release of magnetic energy powered by
a change of only voltage at the g1 of a tube.

I must draw and scan.

Patrick Turner.

Andre Jute

Patrick Turner wrote:
[...]

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote

I just posted a schematic for a PP class AB1 PP triode amp
at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

It has several features to explain ideas I use all the time.

There are two different CCS, each one using npn or pnp
transistors,
and an LTP driver using trioded EL84 with a CT choke and
additional RL
to keep the impedance of the DC supply elements very
high between 50Hz to above 20 kHz ....

I spent some time explaining the faults of this "design" to Patrick,
and got foul-mouthed in return, as is usual if anyone questions his
"ideas". I have asked for elucidation and got the usual evasive
waffle and random babbling...quotations from RDH, I assume.

He sold the prototype regardless, as usual, as if it were proven or
even properly tested.

There you go again Ian, on the train of discreditation.
You must be lonesome, because hardly anyone agreed with whatever
detailed
reasons you had for dismissing the ideas I put forward.

Maybe you would like to explain more in detail than I have, but just get
all your sums right,
ppl who don't are fair game around here.

Simulation confirms it is just what it seems: a pathetic
embarrassment to anyone with even half a notion of circuit design.

But I used NO simulation.

You are the one to simulate everything instead of going to your workshop
for
several hours to measure how it works.

Patrick's unique selling point is his claim to wind decent
traditional chokes and transformers. Convincing daft Australians to
shell out for an extra 200H to no real purpose is a nothing but a
cynical ploy.

Ah, so you belong also to the School of Mediocrity.

Williamson would have been overjoyed to hear you tell him that
a minimum of 100H in an OPT for a triode amp was a cynical ploy
and plain daft.
Lucky you weren't around in 1947, I know who would have been the
laughing stock
amoungst the real doers of the time.

Tired of arguing, and less eager now to help a grasping fool.
Perhaps that's obvious.

So, anyone else prepared to defend the use of two EL84, 200H of
differential mode choke, and an SS current source, as a general
purpose splitter / driver?

I don't care if nobody does. I am not worried if nobody is prodded to
think about their
tube craft which was the purpose of the info.

There are 50 ways to make a tube amp, and ppl are welcome to try
whatever ideas turn them on.

You are just as bad today as Oinky when he says we should throw out our
tubes and
build SS amps.

cheers, Ian

There is nothing cheerful in what you are saying.

You are being just a grumpy old fart, with nothing to contribute
to the discussion at all.

You need a good night's rest.

Patrick Turner.

John Byrns

In article , "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote

I just posted a schematic for a PP class AB1 PP triode amp
at alt.binaries.schematics.electronic.

It has several features to explain ideas I use all the time.

There are two different CCS, each one using npn or pnp
transistors,
and an LTP driver using trioded EL84 with a CT choke and
additional RL
to keep the impedance of the DC supply elements very
high between 50Hz to above 20 kHz ....

I spent some time explaining the faults of this "design" to Patrick,

You seem to have explained the faults of the design to Patrick in private
communications as I see nothing on this subject posted by you to the
entire group. Are you afraid that your comments won't hold up under the
intense scrutiny of the entire group? Why don't you post your
"explanations" for all to see, rather than slamming Patrick as if we are
all in agreement with your "explanations"? You do have an alarming
tendency to almost always get your "sums wrong" as Patrick would say.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/
Patrick Turner

John Byrns wrote:

In article , "Ian Iveson"
wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote

[...]

For some reason I think Ian is referring to when i first
brought the idea of a "Turner LTP" to the group a
considerable time ago, some years, I think.
But for want of a better name, mine may as well be used,
because I can't think of any other tube amp builder
publicizing the LR combined load and CCS.

Ian wasn't all that happy at the time with the T-LTP,
but I have satisfied myself that it works fine, and
all the explanations and simulations in the world don't really mean much
unless
one builds, measures, and uses something, and finds it has some
saving graces compared to the alternatives, which can't be perfect either.

The experiments I did today using EL84 and the primary of an ancient
and truly abominable OPT made for a very poor PA amp
using 6BM8, confirmed the benefits I know exist
with this concept.
The use of crummy inductors in prototypes tend to
reveal the problems of a basic design more obviously than starting
with a perfectly made L.
In this case the early onset of saturation of the core could be observed,
and the absense of such distortions in the outputs, thanks
to the series R betwen anodes and ends of the choke.

The 6BM8 opt had only 30H at 100 Hz, a long way short
of 200H which I think a circuit for hi-fi deserves.
In this case, 200H is very easily obtained; its far simpler than winding an
IST, or any OPT, and random winding can be used instead of
layered windings with paper between each layer, which I assure you
are real PITA to wind without the proper lathe.
Random wound field coil inductors were wound to make speaker magnets
before permanent magnets became economically viable.
They were subject to tube failures, excessive currents, but many still are
working
fine after 70 years in a radio, quite remarkable, considering
the wire enamel in 1935 wasn't as good as today's polyester-imide.

Patrick Turner.

Regards,

John Byrns

Surf my web pages at, http://users.rcn.com/jbyrns/