Wessel Dirksen

Default When is it necessary to cap couple line stages?

Hi Group.

I've noticed in a few designs that when cascading a grounded cathode
stage into a CPI that the coupling cap can be dropped. I realize that
it blocks DC from one stage to another and can also filter AC.
Obviously I'd love to leave out the cap.

Is there a simple logical rule of thumb when you can or cannot leave
the cap out between two line stages?

Thanks alot guys.

Wessel

Bob

On 24 Apr 2005 03:23:13 -0700, "Wessel Dirksen" wrote:

Hi Group.

I've noticed in a few designs that when cascading a grounded cathode
stage into a CPI that the coupling cap can be dropped. I realize that
it blocks DC from one stage to another and can also filter AC.
Obviously I'd love to leave out the cap.

Is there a simple logical rule of thumb when you can or cannot leave
the cap out between two line stages?

Thanks alot guys.

Wessel

If the voltage is the same at the two points you want to couple, you can leave
out the cap... generally...

If the voltages are close but not equal, you need to see if connecting them will
cause excess current, or will force the circuit to compensate.

Usually with a line stage you have only about 1ma of current to worry about, and
hundreds of thousands of ohms to play with, so it isn't too critical. You can
always test for frequency response and phase and noise between the 2
topologies...

Wessel Dirksen

Bob wrote in message . ..
[...]

Thanks for the response Bob,

I was thinking in in the same lines. I tried this the other day with a
current sourced, non bypassed with 5db ONF grounded cathode stage with
an 12AX7 (gain = 90 (40dB) with no ONF, Zout 220K(ouch)) going into a
CPI with both triodes of a ECC81 in parallel. (Rk and Ra = 14k) Both
tubes get a 450V main which shouldn't overcook anything. For both the
V(cath to plate) is close to 170V (+/- 5v). For the both grid bias
voltage calculates out to about -1.5V (+/- 0.1) The first stage
measures 150 volts DC at Ra.

Anyway, I fired it up with no cap in between and there was a strange
sounding pretty loud periodic sound, it has a higher than 50hz
fundamental main frequency (I'm guessing about 200 hz, I should
measure the freq, but didn't yet)It doesn't seem to osscilate out of
control but is unacceptable. When I put a 0.22 cap between it this
went away and sounded really quite good but still not quite enough
gain. My goal is to eliminate one of the 2 series grounded cathode
stages. I realize that this may be unrealistic but I'm stubborn and
learning.

Any ideas?

Wessel
Bob

On 26 Apr 2005 04:13:41 -0700, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
[...]

Well... first I would try it without the feedback loop... remember that a cap
adds some phase shift... so the lack of a cap will change your overall loop...

I don't like feedback in tube amps... but that's just me...

Did you monitor the supply in case you have a de-coupling problem?

Is there voltage across the coupling cap you put?

BTW I don't think your gain problem will be solved by removing the coupling cap!
Try increasing the plate load R and is the first stage cathode bypassed? Maybe
increase the cathode resistor and bypass it?

I need a schemagic!

Wessel Dirksen

Bob wrote in message . ..
[...]

What I described was without the global feedback. I added it later
once the cap was in there

I don't like feedback in tube amps... but that's just me...

I like a little (5db instad of the 15 or so you often hear about), so
we see to have the same general taste. I prefer the "none" sound but a
little tightens things up a bit with very little loss in imaging.

Did you monitor the supply in case you have a de-coupling problem?

I'm going to have plead ignorance on that one. Could you explain?

Is there voltage across the coupling cap you put?

Well DC no. When you measure the DC voltage on the grounded cath side
I'm getting 150 volts, on the other side nothing.

BTW I don't think your gain problem will be solved by removing the coupling cap!

I know. I guess I didn't make myself clear. I want some OFB but wish
to experiment with only one gain stage and a phase splitter driving 4x
El34's. So I hope to have one gain stage replace two of them in
series. Since I want to have feedback, bypassing Rk can't happen. I
have enough gain +/- 48 dB with a single ECC82 triode and ECC81 single
triode both grounded cathode in series with each other then into the
CPI. I'm trying to get one of the gain stages removed by using a 12AX7
instead. I'm getting about 40 dB of gain which just doesn't cut it.
I'm going to try a mu follower next but this should offer no better
gain, just a better Zout.

It sounds good. But I want to ditch the extra cap in between. I'm now
believing I won't get anymore gain out of it this way.

Try increasing the plate load R and is the first stage cathode bypassed? Maybe
increase the cathode resistor and bypass it?

I need a schemagic!

Well difficult to draw. I partially explained it above. Everything
gets 450v with a lot of buffer capacitance. The constant current
allows 0.8ma through the 12AX7 gain stage where Ra = 120K and Rk =
1.8K non bypassed. This goes into an ECC81 CPI where both triodes are
parallel. Ra and Rk are 14K. This feeds an output stage where 2
parallel El34's per side are in triode mode. Caps are 0.047 and RL =
220K (So I guess that is 0.1 micF and 110K to the CPI) THe stop
resistors are 2.7K. The output is biased to 60mA. The original recipe
recommended 50mA but 60 mA kicks butt.

Does that make any sense. Thanks for the input. I just hope to be able
to run it like this with no cap in between the gain and CPI stages.
I'm afraid I'll have to live with the just sub par gain.

Wessel

Bob

On 27 Apr 2005 15:47:00 -0700, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
On 26 Apr 2005 04:13:41 -0700,
(Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
[...]

I don't know how you wired the power, but most people use a series resistor and
capacitor to ground "pi" filter supply.... sometimes this causes feedback in the
stages due to a lack of capacity and 'current sharing', and the voltage on the
supply will vary with the 'thumping' of the bad stages. I wanted to know if you
looked at the supply when you had the problem to see if the voltage was varying.

You could always try another supply line to see if that helps... it has for me.
I always use a 'spider' positive!

Is there voltage across the coupling cap you put?

Well DC no. When you measure the DC voltage on the grounded cath side
I'm getting 150 volts, on the other side nothing.

Are you saying you get 150 to ground on one side of the cap and zero on the
other?? This is 150 across the cap! That would be bad if you short the cap out!
Velly velly bad!

[...]

How are you getting this 'constant current' ?? sounds dicey...

allows 0.8ma through the 12AX7 gain stage where Ra = 120K and Rk =
1.8K non bypassed.

I think you can get more gain from a 12AX7 using a 2.7k cathode resistor...
that's what I use sometimes... and try a bigger plate load too... 220k or 330 k
see what happens...

This goes into an ECC81 CPI where both triodes are
parallel. Ra and Rk are 14K.

Any reason to use this topology? I use a diff/amp config here, it gives me both
extra gain and a place to add feedback - even if I don't use it! And you
already have the 2 triodes...

This feeds an output stage where 2
parallel El34's per side are in triode mode. Caps are 0.047 and RL =
220K (So I guess that is 0.1 micF and 110K to the CPI) THe stop
resistors are 2.7K. The output is biased to 60mA. The original recipe
recommended 50mA but 60 mA kicks butt.

So this is class AB push pull output? You must have a weird output tranny!

Does that make any sense. Thanks for the input. I just hope to be able
to run it like this with no cap in between the gain and CPI stages.
I'm afraid I'll have to live with the just sub par gain.

Or change the circuit... I just finished building a P-P EL84 18 watt amp that
I'm VERY happy with!

Bob

Wessel Dirksen

Bob wrote in message . ..
On 27 Apr 2005 15:47:00 -0700, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
On 26 Apr 2005 04:13:41 -0700,
(Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
[...]

Ok, I see what you mean. The PS is straight forward I think. Full wave
bridge to 450V DC. A small value but high power resistor of 10 ohm
after the rectifier, then 1600 micF of ballast capacitance. With the
original config described above, there is a further tap off resistance
to get the CPI supply to 350V with an extra 220micF balast, then a tap
again off this tap to get 250V also with an extra 220micF balast. Now
with this current experiment, because the gain stage uses one triode
as a current source, it wants more voltage, so I've made everything
(output + line stage) run off 450V with the 1600micF (the other 2
220micF are too low in power to run on 450V)

I can try to measure if there any substantial fluctuations. It's
always been very quiet, also quiet with the coupling cap there.

You could always try another supply line to see if that helps... it has for me.
I always use a 'spider' positive!

Could you explain what you mean by 'spider' positive? I love to hear
about new stuff I don't know.

Is there voltage across the coupling cap you put?

Well DC no. When you measure the DC voltage on the grounded cath side
I'm getting 150 volts, on the other side nothing.

Are you saying you get 150 to ground on one side of the cap and zero on the
other?? This is 150 across the cap! That would be bad if you short the cap out!
Velly velly bad!

Well, yeah that is what is happening. One side of the cap to ground is
150V DC, the other nada. If you remove (short) the cap you get the
weird sound but it still works. Why bad?

[...]

I'll try that option. I'm using a stategy for grounded cathode I found
in an older article on TUBECAD journal. There he recommends a sweet
spot. Your method is something I have also seen before. It sounds good
that way?

see what happens...

This goes into an ECC81 CPI where both triodes are
parallel. Ra and Rk are 14K.

Any reason to use this topology? I use a diff/amp config here, it gives me both
extra gain and a place to add feedback - even if I don't use it! And you
already have the 2 triodes...

That is indeed where I'll go next. You probably mean local feedback
too, I imagine. What I am doing is experimenting with all kinds of
concepts. This is an attempt to have only 2 line stages, and thus
hopefully only one series cap before the power tubes. But is it wise
to phase split the input of only 1 or so volts? If this can be done,
then I could run dual differential gain stages and still keep this
minimum approach alive.

This feeds an output stage where 2
parallel El34's per side are in triode mode. Caps are 0.047 and RL =
220K (So I guess that is 0.1 micF and 110K to the CPI) THe stop
resistors are 2.7K. The output is biased to 60mA. The original recipe
recommended 50mA but 60 mA kicks butt.

So this is class AB push pull output? You must have a weird output tranny!

Yes AB PP, I think pretty standard Plintron OPT though. Raa of 2700
ohm.

Does that make any sense. Thanks for the input. I just hope to be able
to run it like this with no cap in between the gain and CPI stages.
I'm afraid I'll have to live with the just sub par gain.

Or change the circuit... I just finished building a P-P EL84 18 watt amp that
I'm VERY happy with!

Cool! Yup, this is very fun stuff. I'm just getting started.

Bob

Bob

On 29 Apr 2005 03:50:16 -0700, (Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
On 27 Apr 2005 15:47:00 -0700,
(Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
On 26 Apr 2005 04:13:41 -0700,
(Wessel Dirksen) wrote:

Bob wrote in message . ..
[...]

I run all my positive wires direct to the cap, same as all negative wires run to
the star ground... I don't daisy chain positive wires around so it looks like a
spider...

Is there voltage across the coupling cap you put?

Well DC no. When you measure the DC voltage on the grounded cath side
I'm getting 150 volts, on the other side nothing.

Are you saying you get 150 to ground on one side of the cap and zero on the
other?? This is 150 across the cap! That would be bad if you short the cap out!
Velly velly bad!

Well, yeah that is what is happening. One side of the cap to ground is
150V DC, the other nada. If you remove (short) the cap you get the
weird sound but it still works. Why bad?

You are short circuiting 150 volts?! You have to ask? What is the short current?

[...]

I don't see why not... lots of designs run multiple differential stages.