Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fredbob Jackson Fredbob Jackson is offline

Default setting up laptop with 896HD Firewire

Looking for a quick guide for setting up a simple stereo recording
with Cool Edit via a MOTU 896HD. Attempted to do this last night but
couldn't get it to work in the time allotted, so had to go to Plan B.
I don't have the MOTU documentation, unfortunately. The laptop is
running under Windows XP. I am attempting to record via the 896HD's
Firewire output.

I couldn't find the magical combination (assuming there is one) for
accomplishing this. I was using Input channels 1 and 2 on the MOTU
box, routing them to some of the various output choices, and trying to
match the selected output choice to something on the list of choices
for Recording Device under Audio Properties in the Control Panel.

One of the Recording Device choices on the PC is MOTU Mix 1. So if I
select that, and route MOTU channels 1 and 2 (called Bus 1 in the
console setup app) to the Main Output (I assume the MOTU's Firewire
output comes off of its Main Output), it seems that would do the
trick. But nothing. In haste, I was trying various combinations of
MOTU Bus 1 outputs and Recording
Device inputs, nothing showed any input whatsoever when recording with
Cool Edit. Que pasa?

What does the Firewire output of the 896HD tap off of? That is not
selectable in the console setup; I assume it taps off of the Main
Output.

Are any front panel switches on the 896HD involved in this?

The choices for the Recording Device a

MOTU Mix 1
MOTU Analog
MOTU ADAT