Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Remixing Tip #2

Although Trevor may not agree, if you mix tracks utilizing headphones, you should check the mixes with speakers, too. I had an out-take stereo track that I couldn't get to sound right w/ headphones. When I checked it with speakers, I found one stereo channel was inverted!

Anyway, this has an audiophile quality about it (soft and loud passages); I refer to it as Genuine Remastering (Remixed/Enhanced). Feel the, "More Than A Feeling..." passages are duplicated. It has rough edges, blending things together, but my ears like it!!...

Boston - More Than A Feeling 1976
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...es/more160.mp3

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 16/02/2015 12:56 PM, JackA wrote:
Although Trevor may not agree, if you mix tracks utilizing
headphones, you should check the mixes with speakers, too.

Since that is what I already said I always do MANY times, I guess you
can't read, which explains your ignorance of subjects you profess to
understand I guess.

I had an
out-take stereo track that I couldn't get to sound right w/
headphones. When I checked it with speakers, I found one stereo
channel was inverted!

That says a lot about you I guess, since nobody I know in the business
would have had that problem.

Trevor.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 9:52:22 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 16/02/2015 12:56 PM, JackA wrote:
Although Trevor may not agree, if you mix tracks utilizing
headphones, you should check the mixes with speakers, too.

Since that is what I already said I always do MANY times, I guess you
can't read, which explains your ignorance of subjects you profess to
understand I guess.

I had an
out-take stereo track that I couldn't get to sound right w/
headphones. When I checked it with speakers, I found one stereo
channel was inverted!

That says a lot about you I guess, since nobody I know in the business
would have had that problem.

Again, what do they really know? None of the "audio engineers" on YouTube have impressed me. About the only thing one of them said, that I firmly believe, get your mix as close as possible. For example, I mixed some songs, shy in bass, and I could never recover it with a parametric equalizer!

Jack

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 9:36:52 PM UTC-6, JackA wrote:

Again, what do they really know? None of the "audio engineers" on YouTube have impressed me. About the only thing one of them said, that I firmly believe, get your mix as close as possible.

Well, of all the mixes I've heard, this is certainly one of them. No matter where you're at, there you are. When you get to the fork in the road, take it.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

PStamler wrote:

Well, of all the mixes I've heard, this is certainly one of them. No
matter where you're at, there you are. When you get to the fork in the
road, take it.

The fork's in his ass, but he ain't quite flipped over. He's done.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Sunday, February 15, 2015 at 11:27:04 PM UTC-5, hank alrich wrote:
PStamler wrote:

Well, of all the mixes I've heard, this is certainly one of them. No
matter where you're at, there you are. When you get to the fork in the
road, take it.

The fork's in his ass, but he ain't quite flipped over. He's done.

You "people" aren't very nice!! Need to find nicer people. Maybe Isis has an audio group!!!

Jack

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/02/2015 04:34, JackA wrote:
You "people" aren't very nice!! Need to find nicer people. Maybe Isis has an audio group!!!

I usually find that when a lot of people think I'm doing it wrong
(Whatever it is), they're usually correct.

You've just boasted that you made an error that almost everybody here
has made once or twice in their career, early on, by flipping a switch
in error, or using an inverting cable on a microphone by accident.

You also seem to have "discovered" that it makes sense to listen to your
mix on as many systems as possible before releasing it into the public.

Now, take your remixes, and listen to them several times on a good
system in a decent room (If it cost less then $5000 excluding room
treatment, it's not good enough), a boombox or ghetto blaster, a car
stereo, and a pair of cheap earbuds, tweaking as required, and if ever
they sound good on all those, then you'll be getting close.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:44:13 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/02/2015 04:34, JackA wrote:
You "people" aren't very nice!! Need to find nicer people. Maybe Isis has an audio group!!!

I usually find that when a lot of people think I'm doing it wrong
(Whatever it is), they're usually correct.

You've just boasted that you made an error that almost everybody here
has made once or twice in their career, early on, by flipping a switch
in error, or using an inverting cable on a microphone by accident.

Hands up, don't shoot! I didn't create the (stereo) recording, others did!

You also seem to have "discovered" that it makes sense to listen to your
mix on as many systems as possible before releasing it into the public.

Now, take your remixes, and listen to them several times on a good
system in a decent room (If it cost less then $5000 excluding room
treatment, it's not good enough), a boombox or ghetto blaster, a car
stereo, and a pair of cheap earbuds, tweaking as required, and if ever
they sound good on all those, then you'll be getting close.

Sounds extreme! I'll stick to my 11+ year old laptop and headphones.

Thanks!

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/02/2015 15:16, JackA wrote:
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:44:13 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
Now, take your remixes, and listen to them several times on a good
system in a decent room (If it cost less then $5000 excluding room
treatment, it's not good enough), a boombox or ghetto blaster, a car
stereo, and a pair of cheap earbuds, tweaking as required, and if ever
they sound good on all those, then you'll be getting close.

Sounds extreme! I'll stick to my 11+ year old laptop and headphones.

It's the only real way to make sure a mix is good. If you can't hear
what's there, then you can't correct the problem. This may be why the
mixes you post here sound so awful. Your system won't reveal the
problematic parts when you are listening and mixing.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 11:36:32 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/02/2015 15:16, JackA wrote:
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:44:13 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
Now, take your remixes, and listen to them several times on a good
system in a decent room (If it cost less then $5000 excluding room
treatment, it's not good enough), a boombox or ghetto blaster, a car
stereo, and a pair of cheap earbuds, tweaking as required, and if ever
they sound good on all those, then you'll be getting close.

Sounds extreme! I'll stick to my 11+ year old laptop and headphones.

It's the only real way to make sure a mix is good. If you can't hear
what's there, then you can't correct the problem. This may be why the
mixes you post here sound so awful. Your system won't reveal the
problematic parts when you are listening and mixing.

SOUND AWFUL? How about I send you multi-tracks, I'd LOVE to hear your mix.
It's funny, everyone, well not really, but many usenet people say my mixes sound poor. But outside of usenet, others think they sound great!!

I'll stick to what I'm doing since you mentioned nothing specific.

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/02/2015 16:44, JackA wrote:
SOUND AWFUL? How about I send you multi-tracks, I'd LOVE to hear your mix.
It's funny, everyone, well not really, but many usenet people say my mixes sound poor. But outside of usenet, others think they sound great!!

Shrug The *professionals* you ask on here don't like them, and they're
possibly listening on good sounding systems and are used to listening
critically. Are the others that you claim to like them listening on
decent sounding systems or on laptops, earbuds and phone speakers, and
do they make a living working with sound?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

JackA writes:

[...]

Well, how about this... "Ticket to Ride" is passable EXCEPT everything below, say,
200 hz. There's not necessarily too much or too little, it's just that what is
there is a mushy mess -- no bass line is distinct.

Now, back in the day, folks often didn't record (or mix) bass very well so it's
possible the source isn't all that great -- even from big time folks like the
Beatles and Sir Martin. (Dunno -- did he produce this one?)

HOWEVER, with today's tools it should well be possible to do a better cleanup than
this. I might start by trying to identify the bass line -- pick out what's really
key (no pun) and use 2 or 3 very narrow Q boosts (perhaps at the fundamentals,
perhaps at the second harmonics) to try to bring out at least a few root notes of
the line. It's possible then that a slight shelving cut from 200 on down might be
required to keep things in line (and also push down the residual mush leaving the
boosted notes to pop through).

I might then run that through an SPL Vitalizer which, for pop music, has a fairly
effective low-end compressor/shaper. It's not always a miracle of blinding white
light, but it can help.

YMMV.
Frank
Mobile Audio

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:08:09 PM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote:
On 16/02/2015 16:44, JackA wrote:
SOUND AWFUL? How about I send you multi-tracks, I'd LOVE to hear your mix.
It's funny, everyone, well not really, but many usenet people say my mixes sound poor. But outside of usenet, others think they sound great!!

Shrug The *professionals* you ask on here don't like them, and they're
possibly listening on good sounding systems and are used to listening
critically. Are the others that you claim to like them listening on
decent sounding systems or on laptops, earbuds and phone speakers, and
do they make a living working with sound?

I do not hear any of their audio work, professional or not. I am not shy.
I do not ask for opinions on my mixes; I know what sounds best.

Jack :-)

Jack

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/02/2015 5:44 a.m., JackA wrote:

SOUND AWFUL? How about I send you multi-tracks, I'd LOVE to hear your
mix. It's funny, everyone, well not really, but many usenet people
say my mixes sound poor. But outside of usenet, others think they
sound great!!

Maybe they don't really have a clue, or maybe they just want to avoid
getting
into a long-winded and pointless debate with you.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 2:52:08 PM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 17/02/2015 5:44 a.m., JackA wrote:

SOUND AWFUL? How about I send you multi-tracks, I'd LOVE to hear your
mix. It's funny, everyone, well not really, but many usenet people
say my mixes sound poor. But outside of usenet, others think they
sound great!!

Maybe they don't really have a clue, or maybe they just want to avoid
getting
into a long-winded and pointless debate with you.

I am an asset to this group!

Jack

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!

Said the turd to the punch bowl.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:28:36 PM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
JackA writes:

[...]

I mix music the way I remember it sounding. Actually, before, I didn't have enough high frequencies. I wanted it to emulate the sound of the lopsided stereo mix.
I don't think you questioned it, but I only have a so many tracks to mix stereo, so Ringo's drums is to the right, vocals centered, bass center-left and guitar left. I really do not care how it was original mixed, if I did, you'd never hear the hand-clapping!! This is what people do not know about mixing, why I question if they have even attempted it.

I do everything manually. I enjoy shaping sound.

But, anyway, I should at least thank you for the passing C grade!!

Thanks!

Jack

[...]

.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA writes:

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:28:36 PM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
JackA writes:
=20
On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 11:36:32 AM UTC-5, John Williamson wrote=

:
On 16/02/2015 15:16, JackA wrote:

snips

I'll stick to what I'm doing since you mentioned nothing specific.

=20
Well, how about this... "Ticket to Ride" is passable EXCEPT everything be=

low, say,=20
200 hz. There's not necessarily too much or too little, it's just that wh=

at is=20
there is a mushy mess -- no bass line is distinct.

I mix music the way I remember it sounding. Actually, before, I didn't have=
enough high frequencies. I wanted it to emulate the sound of the lopsided =
stereo mix.
I don't think you questioned it, but I only have a so many tracks to mix st=
ereo, so Ringo's drums is to the right, vocals centered, bass center-left a=
nd guitar left. I really do not care how it was original mixed, if I did, y=
ou'd never hear the hand-clapping!! This is what people do not know about m=
ixing, why I question if they have even attempted it.

I do everything manually. I enjoy shaping sound.

But, anyway, I should at least thank you for the passing C grade!!

Actually, I'd give it an "incomplete".

If you're serious about this, you have to do more than just make it "sound pretty"
to you. That's often a component, yes, but you still have to be musically aware not
only of what might be "the issues" with a mix, but also what your mind might be
"glossing over" or "filling in" -- such as the problematic low end here. What it
sounded like before might or might not have any bearing.

You can get used to crud as is; you give it a pass in your mind's ear. You can
concentrate on one aspect to the detriment of others. In reality, there are problems
with this mix. Good monitoring, diversified monitoring (phones, different speakers
and environments), knowing something about music and arranging, stepping away for a
few days or weeks and coming back fresh -- along with plain old experience -- go a
long way in crossing the gulf between a bad mix and a good mix.

I'd suggest another try at it.

Frank
Mobile Audio
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 7:25:28 PM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
JackA writes:

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:28:36 PM UTC-5, Frank Stearns wrote:
JackA writes:
=20
[...]

Come on teacher, Frank, you passed me with a C grade now I have to do detention because I didn't put enough bass where it belongs!! I didn't really put much effort in it, some distortion is apparent, that even I, top dog remixer, can't repair!

Seriously, Frank, very few even give a damn about sound quality! That's something else no one talks about here. I mean, they break their behinds, thinking everything is perfect sounding, but sound quality never sold music. That, sir, is a fact.

I shall try again later, or try the version with a false start I posted at Luxey or whatever his handle is.

The point is, it is the loudest singing (centered vocals) you'll get from a stereo version! That's a whole discussion by itself.

Chinese food is here! Your time has expired!

Jack :-)

Frank
Mobile Audio
--
.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!

What makes you say that?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 8:06:56 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!

What makes you say that?

Because I can soft solder better than you.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!

What makes you say that?

Because I can soft solder better than you.

Which specs and which certs? Show the certs or keep your mouth closed.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!

What makes you say that?

Because I can soft solder better than you.

Which specs and which certs? Show the certs or keep your mouth closed.

Demands. I always wondered some of your groupies considered you the King Bee here.

Clam down. I know electronic, too. We can coexist, I'm sure. I'd recommend that you don't write degrading comments to visitors, like making a person feel like a smacked behind because he/she couldn't soft solder. I never knew there were necessary prerequisites to join a usenet group.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 8:06:56 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!
=20
What makes you say that?

Because I can soft solder better than you.

=20
Which specs and which certs? Show the certs or keep your mouth closed.

Demands. I always wondered some of your groupies considered you the King Be=
e here.

Clam down. I know electronic, too. We can coexist, I'm sure. I'd recommend =
that you don't write degrading comments to visitors, like making a person f=
eel like a smacked behind because he/she couldn't soft solder. I never knew=
there were necessary prerequisites to join a usenet group.

So, in fact you have no soldering certs.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 17, 2015 at 7:01:37 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
JackA wrote:

I am an asset to this group!
=20
What makes you say that?

Because I can soft solder better than you.
=20
Which specs and which certs? Show the certs or keep your mouth closed.

Demands. I always wondered some of your groupies considered you the King Be=
e here.

Clam down. I know electronic, too. We can coexist, I'm sure. I'd recommend =
that you don't write degrading comments to visitors, like making a person f=
eel like a smacked behind because he/she couldn't soft solder. I never knew=
there were necessary prerequisites to join a usenet group.

So, in fact you have no soldering certs.

NSA!!!

National Soldering Association!!! :-)

Peace, Scott!!

Jack