Posted to rec.audio.pro
Alice D Alice D is offline

Default g2 wireless transmitter repair

anyone know how easy/difficult it is to fit one of these tiny membranes?

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/evolu...-main-pcb.html

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 12:43:50 PM UTC-5, Alice D wrote:
anyone know how easy/difficult it is to fit one of these tiny membranes?

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/evolu...-main-pcb.html

How difficult it is to access is beyond my knowledge. But, to me, it looks like a surface mounted (an soldered) component, so it SHOULD be easy to replace.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/7/2015 6:43 PM, Alice D wrote:
anyone know how easy/difficult it is to fit one of these tiny membranes?

Not without seeing it, but since you're asking, I gather you haven't
opened up the transmitter yet. If you can't figure out how to do that,
you probably shouldn't be trying to repair it.

I'd try to take a look at it but I poked around on the Sennhieser web
site and can't find anything about a G2 system. It must be discontinued.
If the switch is on a body pack transmitter, it shouldn't be too
difficult to replace. If it's in a hand-held mic, that might be a real
puzzle to disassemble.

Any factory service is expensive, but Sennheiser's isn't outrageous, at
least in the US. You might contact their service department, describe
your problem, and see what they say.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"JackA" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 12:43:50 PM UTC-5, Alice D wrote:
anyone know how easy/difficult it is to fit one of these tiny membranes?

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/evolu...-main-pcb.html

How difficult it is to access is beyond my knowledge. But, to me, it looks
like a surface mounted (an soldered) component, so it SHOULD be easy to
replace.

Jack

No it will not be easy at all.

If the OP is not skilled in removing and replacing SMD components, the most
likely scenario will be a written off PCB with no way of mounting the switch
any more.
If they were capable of such a repair they would not be asking this
question.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Alice D Alice D is offline

Thanks guys i have the parts already and found a step by step tutorial and
no it just gets stuck to the board

no soldering

i also saw an easy youtube video on how to dissemble its really
straightforward.

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/7/2015 10:23 PM, Alice D wrote:
Thanks guys i have the parts already and found a step by step tutorial
and no it just gets stuck to the board

no soldering

i also saw an easy youtube video on how to dissemble its really
straightforward.

So, what was your question, if you already knew the answer? Did you try
what you saw in the video and that didn't fix the problem?

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Gareth Magennis wrote:

"JackA" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 12:43:50 PM UTC-5, Alice D wrote:
anyone know how easy/difficult it is to fit one of these tiny membranes?

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/evolu...00-300-500-tx/
surface-mount-tactile-switch-on-main-pcb.html

How difficult it is to access is beyond my knowledge. But, to me, it looks
like a surface mounted (an soldered) component, so it SHOULD be easy to
replace.

No it will not be easy at all.

If the OP is not skilled in removing and replacing SMD components, the most
likely scenario will be a written off PCB with no way of mounting the switch
any more.
If they were capable of such a repair they would not be asking this
question.

Gareth.

As one who knows where that switch goes and for what it is used I
concur. Find a tech or let Sennheiser repair it.

(Ain't it grand when a reply opens with the admission that the poster
knows nothing about this, but then decides this should be easy.)

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gareth magennis gareth magennis is offline

"Alice D" wrote in message
o.uk...

Thanks guys i have the parts already and found a step by step tutorial and
no it just gets stuck to the board

no soldering

i also saw an easy youtube video on how to dissemble its really
straightforward.

Er, no desoldering or soldering a SMD tactile switch?
Don't think so.

Oh, I just found that tutorial too. Here it is:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairi...3+button/17440

Seems you just have to rip the old switch off the pads it is soldered to,
without apparently ripping the solder pads off the PCB in the process.
And then you stick the new switch on using sticky tape.

Classic piece of Internet ****e.

Good luck with that one.

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

To the op
If the switch contacts are part of the pwb and you really just have to
Replace the snap action metal, without soldering
like in a tv remote control, you might
Be able to do it.

But if the switch is surface mount soldered to the pwb
Unless you have the tools and experience to do that kind of tiny soldering
Work, you will probably not be able to do it.

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Yes, in the pictures it seems the switch is Soldered to the pwb
I would be surprised if you can just pull it off the pwb without
A soldering iron

But it doesnt look too hard for someone that is experienced with smt
Soldering. I suggest you find such a person to assist.
Mark

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
Yes, in the pictures it seems the switch is Soldered to the pwb
I would be surprised if you can just pull it off the pwb without
A soldering iron

But it doesnt look too hard for someone that is experienced with smt
Soldering. I suggest you find such a person to assist.

It looks awfully crowded. It doesn't look terrible... I'd give it a
shot. But I'd want to use a headworn magnifier. If you have hot
tweezers, this would be a good application for them but a normal
temperature-controlled iron with a 1/32" chisel would do it.

If you have never done SMT rework before, this would not be a good
place to start, but if you have done only a little bit before it
might not be bad. The key is to always use more flux than you think
you will need.... suck up the old solder, then glue the new switch
down with flux so it doesn't shift and then SLOWLY bead a little solder
onto the pad so it climbs up the leg. Watch the fillet carefully with
10x magnification or so... it should not be bulging, it should be concave.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 5:38:50 PM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"Alice D" wrote in message
o.uk...

Thanks guys i have the parts already and found a step by step tutorial and
no it just gets stuck to the board

no soldering

i also saw an easy youtube video on how to dissemble its really
straightforward.

Er, no desoldering or soldering a SMD tactile switch?
Don't think so.

Oh, I just found that tutorial too. Here it is:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairi...3+button/17440

Seems you just have to rip the old switch off the pads it is soldered to,
without apparently ripping the solder pads off the PCB in the process.
And then you stick the new switch on using sticky tape.

Classic piece of Internet ****e.

Good luck with that one.

But it is made in Germany!! Used to admire German made electronics, but I agree with you. Probably why my Sennheiser headphones failed me.

Now, if it were silver contacts, you might be successful at repairing without soldering. The nice thing about silver is, any oxide formation is still conductive. At least that's what a licensed electrical engineer (RIP) told me!!

Jack

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Klay Anderson[_2_] Klay Anderson[_2_] is offline

Yes it's soldered in and yes it needs to be oriented correctly for proper contact closure. Easy to do IF you have SMD experience and the RIGHT tools. No you cannot fix it with sticky tape.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hagar the grout Hagar the grout is offline

oh man

sorry i asked now lol

did you read the replies?

no one else soldered and one person had been using it a year since

theres also an australian guy on you tube who shows you how to repair the
receiver using much the same method and he identifies almost everything on
both pcb`s

so thats good enough for me

i aint paying 240 quid for someone to stick a 74p part on a board thats for
sure

i dont use this for business or money and its a cosmetic repair as i can
still scroll one way but since i paid peanuts for both units why shouldnt i
have a go

duh!!

such snobbery gareth you get the prize for being the asshole of the thread

thanks to the polite members for their help and wisdom, its classic speak i
suppose for anyone in business ....next you`ll be telling me i should only
ever use the manufacturers batteries accessories etc ROTFLMFAO

thats the sentiment you portray..... internet snobbery at its worst.....

not sure which one of you is furthest up their own asp

over and out

aLiS D

"Klay Anderson" wrote in message

Yes it's soldered in and yes it needs to be oriented correctly for proper
contact closure. Easy to do IF you have SMD experience and the RIGHT tools.
No you cannot fix it with sticky tape.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/8/2015 11:41 PM, Hagar the grout wrote:
no one else soldered and one person had been using it a year since

theres also an australian guy on you tube who shows you how to repair
the receiver using much the same method and he identifies almost
everything on both pcb`s

so thats good enough for me

i aint paying 240 quid for someone to stick a 74p part on a board thats
for sure

Let us know how your repair came out, when you've completed and tested
it, and a year later.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Hagar the grout wrote:
oh man

sorry i asked now lol

did you read the replies?

no one else soldered and one person had been using it a year since

Well, try it. But if it becomes intermittent an some inopportune moment
don't say we didn't warn you.

i aint paying 240 quid for someone to stick a 74p part on a board thats for
sure

Then learn how to solder! It is a useful skill that will help you enormously
in the long run, and it's not a hard skill to pick up. It just takes practice
and care.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_10_] Chuck[_10_] is offline

On Sun, 8 Feb 2015 22:41:11 -0000, "Hagar the grout"
wrote:

[...]

I work on these. What I would suggest is using Chip Quick to remove
the switch without damaging the pads. Use solderwick to remove the
chipquick and use a small point conical soldering iron to solder the
new switch in place. If this looks too daunting, I'd take it to a
professional.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 4:08:12 PM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:
"JackA" wrote in message

On Saturday, February 7, 2015 at 12:43:50 PM UTC-5, Alice D wrote:
anyone know how easy/difficult it is to fit one of these tiny membranes?

http://spares.sennheiser.co.uk/evolu...-main-pcb.html

How difficult it is to access is beyond my knowledge. But, to me, it looks
like a surface mounted (an soldered) component, so it SHOULD be easy to
replace.

Jack

No it will not be easy at all.

If the OP is not skilled in removing and replacing SMD components, the most
likely scenario will be a written off PCB with no way of mounting the switch
any more.
If they were capable of such a repair they would not be asking this
question.

True. Probably just a momentary switch. From the looks of the solder joints after prying off the defective one, the solder pads look unharmed, my guess, it may not have been soldered. Notice the contacts are recessed......
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/236893.html

Jack

Gareth.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

wrote:

[...]

Thing is, Chuck, we have no idea what material switch case is made of. One MAY destroy the switch by soldering. If it pried off that easy, with no harm whatsoever to the PCB traces, I've drawn my conclusion that it wasn't soldered.

Jack

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 2/10/2015 12:28 AM, JackA wrote:
If it pried off that easy, with no harm whatsoever to the PCB traces,
I've drawn my conclusion that it wasn't soldered.

Maybe the reason why the switch failed is because it was supposed to be
soldered, but wasn't.

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 7:55:30 PM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 2/10/2015 12:28 AM, JackA wrote:
If it pried off that easy, with no harm whatsoever to the PCB traces,
I've drawn my conclusion that it wasn't soldered.

Maybe the reason why the switch failed is because it was supposed to be
soldered, but wasn't.

Even General Electric made the mistake of using those membrane type switches on their clothes dryers and had premature failure and would quickly send you a total PC board replacement! Now you know why they sold off their appliance division! :-)

I really can't see how it could be [easily] soldered, the contacts are recessed on the switch.

Jack

--
For a good time, visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro

No one said it was easy
In fact we said the opposite
Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 9, 2015 at 8:16:45 PM UTC-5, wrote:
No one said it was easy
In fact we said the opposite
Mark

What I TRIED to say, not easily soldered during manufacturing. The contacts appear recessed, and for a surface mounted component, hoping the automated soldering would bridge the gap, is a candidate for failure.

Jack
Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

Thing is, Chuck, we have no idea what material switch case is made of. One
MAY destroy the switch by soldering. If it pried off that easy, with no
harm whatsoever to the PCB traces, I've drawn my conclusion that it
wasn't soldered.

Have you considered just shutting the **** up when you really don't know
the the hell you're talking about? It's a concept we enjoy here. You are
replying to someone who has done this repair. Your mouth seems much
larger than your brain.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 10/02/2015 12:28 p.m., JackA wrote:

Thing is, Chuck, we have no idea what material switch case is made
of. One MAY destroy the switch by soldering. If it pried off that
easy, with no harm whatsoever to the PCB traces, I've drawn my
conclusion that it wasn't soldered.

Oh ****. Now you're an electronics expert too.

It is a coomon-or-garden surface-mounted tactile switch. It has solder
contacts. It needs to be soldered in place. It's not rocket-surgery.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chuck[_10_] Chuck[_10_] is offline

wrote:

[...]

Well the difference between you and me is that I've been a
professional in the electronics and IT industry since 1971 and the
university I work for has many of this particular wireless microphone
in service so I might know a tad more about them than you.

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 3:44:37 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 10/02/2015 12:28 p.m., JackA wrote:

Thing is, Chuck, we have no idea what material switch case is made
of. One MAY destroy the switch by soldering. If it pried off that
easy, with no harm whatsoever to the PCB traces, I've drawn my
conclusion that it wasn't soldered.

Oh ****. Now you're an electronics expert too.

Actually, look up Walter Jung. From (one of his) his Op-Amp book, I made his HQ phono cartridge preamp, designed (CAD) and etched the PC boards!!

Have done computer programming, too!

Jack

It is a coomon-or-garden surface-mounted tactile switch. It has solder
contacts. It needs to be soldered in place. It's not rocket-surgery.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

wrote:

[...]

You have no idea who I am, but you're quick on the trigger to judge.
Welcome to usenet.

Jack

---

Posted to rec.audio.pro

JackA wrote:

You have no idea who I am, but you're quick on the trigger to judge.
Welcome to usenet.

You are rather easily judged by your behavior and your posts here. You
got a head full of **** and it keeps running out your mouth.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/02/2015 17:24, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 3:44:37 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:
On 10/02/2015 12:28 p.m., JackA wrote:

Thing is, Chuck, we have no idea what material switch case is made
of. One MAY destroy the switch by soldering. If it pried off that
easy, with no harm whatsoever to the PCB traces, I've drawn my
conclusion that it wasn't soldered.

Oh ****. Now you're an electronics expert too.

Actually, look up Walter Jung. From (one of his) his Op-Amp book, I made his HQ phono cartridge preamp, designed (CAD) and etched the PC boards!!

Have done computer programming, too!

That ain't no big thang....

I'd done all that while I was still at school in the 1960s. I also
designed stuff, and so did everyone else in my class. One lad even
designed a noughts and crosses game computer using TTL logic that was
guaranteed never to lose a game unless you cheated.

While I was in college in the early 1970s, I built a calculator from a
chipset and a circuit diagram, as well as a complete portable disco
unit. However, I won't even try to touch SMCs on 0.05 in track pitch
boards without spending real money on a workstation. I know my limits.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/02/2015 6:17 AM, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 9:22:35 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
Well the difference between you and me is that I've been a
professional in the electronics and IT industry since 1971 and the
university I work for has many of this particular wireless microphone
in service so I might know a tad more about them than you.

You have no idea who I am, but you're quick on the trigger to judge.
Welcome to usenet.

Nobody cares who you are on usenet, we judge you by what you post. You
have already proven you know less about it than Chuck, so get over it.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:53:32 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 11/02/2015 6:17 AM, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 9:22:35 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
Well the difference between you and me is that I've been a
professional in the electronics and IT industry since 1971 and the
university I work for has many of this particular wireless microphone
in service so I might know a tad more about them than you.

You have no idea who I am, but you're quick on the trigger to judge.
Welcome to usenet.

Nobody cares who you are on usenet, we judge you by what you post. You
have already proven you know less about it than Chuck, so get over it.

Usenet is and always will be a power struggle, who knows more than the next..
Just look at the comment the original poster made, poor guy(gal), EVERYONE who NEVER replaced one of these switches claimed it HAD TO BE SOLDERED. Just like a group of mockingbirds [just like the "warm" sound of vinyl]. You drive people away from usenet; that's a fact, sir.

IT people never have and probably never will impress me.

Thanks!

Jack

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/02/2015 10:30 AM, JackA wrote:
IT people never have and probably never will impress me.

Doesn't appear you are impressing anyone here either! :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 6:51:13 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 11/02/2015 10:30 AM, JackA wrote:
IT people never have and probably never will impress me.

Doesn't appear you are impressing anyone here either! :-)

Trevor.

You 'Aussie people are slowly getting on my nerves!!

Behave or it's Port Arthur for you!!!

Jack :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 11/02/2015 11:30 AM, JackA wrote:
On Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 6:51:13 PM UTC-5, Trevor wrote:
On 11/02/2015 10:30 AM, JackA wrote:
IT people never have and probably never will impress me.

Doesn't appear you are impressing anyone here either! :-)

You 'Aussie people are slowly getting on my nerves!!

Now you know how other feel about you then.

Behave or it's Port Arthur for you!!!

Nice little tourist area these days. :-)

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/02/2015 12:30 p.m., JackA wrote:

Usenet is and always will be a power struggle, who knows more than
the next.

Certainly a struggle for JackAss

Just look at the comment the original poster made, poor
guy(gal), EVERYONE who NEVER replaced one of these switches claimed
it HAD TO BE SOLDERED.

Which just happens to be correct, as confirmed by somebody who regularly
services this exact model.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Probably because you can't operate a proper newsreader. IT **** is way
the **** over your skull.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com
YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 11/02/2015 5:45 p.m., Frank Stearns wrote:

Oh, ah, relationship to audio in this post... in our current government there's a
whole lotta noise and very little usable signal.

First incumbancy(?) for a decade there has been any signal that the rest
of the world respects.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 12/02/2015 4:04 AM, Don Pearce wrote:
On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 14:29:14 +0000, John Williamson
wrote:
On 11/02/2015 13:22, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
I thought "McDonald" was Scottish?

It's not an unbroken rule, but MacDonald with an "a" (Or any other Mac$
surname) is normally Scottish, while McDonald without the "a" (Or any
other Mc$ surname) is normally Irish, or at least they were a few
generations back. The problem is that there has been so much
intermingling and movement in both directions that it's now only a rough
guide.

Mac and Mc mean "son of" in all versions of Gaelic.

Better not get started on comparing Scottish and Irish Whisky/Whiskey
then. :-)

Trevor.