Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] erigby@batelnet.bs is offline

Default The financial health of the high end industry

How are the major high end companies fairing in the present USA and world =
economic climate?
I am thinking of companies such as Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, JBL, McI=
ntosh, Wilson Audio and non USA companies such as QUAD, Magico and MBL.=20

Just recently I contacted QS&D the USA distributor for QUAD to purchase an =
esl63 panel. Randy the co-owner with whom I had built an excellent relation=
ship since 1991, told me that sadly QS&D closed their doors w.e.f Jan 1st 2=
014. A major cause was the continuing inability of QUAD to supply product o=
n anything approaching a timely basis.

ESTG/

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Olafur Gunnlaugsson[_2_] Olafur Gunnlaugsson[_2_] is offline

Žann 18.6.2014 17:04, skrifaši :
How are the major high end companies fairing in the present USA and world economic climate?
I am thinking of companies such as Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, JBL, McIntosh, Wilson Audio and non USA companies such as QUAD, Magico and MBL.

Just recently I contacted QS&D the USA distributor for QUAD to purchase an esl63 panel. Randy the co-owner with whom I had built an excellent relationship since 1991, told me that sadly QS&D closed their doors w.e.f Jan 1st 2014. A major cause was the continuing inability of QUAD to supply product on anything approaching a timely basis.

ESTG/

Quad the company has not existed for something like 20 years, the
current brand owner IAG is a humongous Chinese company that in addition
to manufacturing hi-fi, MI, pro-audio and lighting products under its
own brands like Mission, Wharfedale, Castle, Leak and Audiolab, owns
companies such as Luxman and manufactures as a contract manufacturer and
OEM for companies such as Korg et al. And more recently have started
manufacturing Yachts for some reason.

I am not aware of any supply problems with QUAD products, I am willing
to bet that the problem with the USA distribution were more local than
your source was willing to say.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
How are the major high end companies fairing in the present USA and world=

economic climate?

A few things are happening:

a) Those of exceeding wealth will always have places to indulge themselves.=
And well past the point of diminishing returns.=20
b) Those who wish only to listen to great sound and have no need for any at=
tendant excess will also have places to indulge themselves. And get excelle=
nt value for their money as well.=20

That being written, it is also my belief that anyone with patience and a li=
ttle bit of luck can do extremely well on the vintage/used market with litt=
le or no compromise on the ultimate results. I also believe that in the typ=
ical +/- 4,500 c.f. listening room, pinnacle results should be achievable f=
or far less than $10,000. Pure blind luck and $5,000 will do it absolutely.=
Exceptions, of course, would be individuals who are dedicated to vinyl, an=
d therefore are willing to spend huge funds on turntables. I generally make=
exceptions for moving parts. I spent three years as a machinist, and I ver=
y much appreciate how much labor may be entirely invisible to the naked eye=
..=20

So, those companies that make good stuff at a fair price (Grado, Magnepan a=
nd many more - but not all of those - on this list: http://windhaming.com/a=
merican-made-audio-list/ ) will continue to survive and thrive. Those that =
sold on price (and many did and still do) will (hopefully) crash and burn a=
s it should be. Along with the entire esoteric cable industry...=20

There is only but so much time, value and design that can go into any given=
piece of equipment. At which point any additional cost is pure BS. Full st=
op.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20