Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics with acoustic piano

Old December 9th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
David Grant

Default Opera: Good acoustics with digital piano or bad acoustics with acoustic piano

I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have the
option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an
acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a roland
digital piano.

Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

Thanks,

Dave

Old December 9th 08, 07:29 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

David Grant > wrote:
>I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have the
>option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an
>acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a roland
>digital piano.
>
>Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
>church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
>recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

Nobody cares what the piano sounds like, they care what the singer sounds
like. If the piano sounds a little funny or a little bit fake, it's a
lot better than the singer sounding less than perfect. Go with the good
room.

Old December 9th 08, 08:13 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers

David Grant wrote:
> I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have the
> option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an
> acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a roland
> digital piano.

> Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
> church,

Either way it's going to be a compromise but my gut feeling is that you
could end up with a better recording in your home than in the church.
Since the piano is going to be playing out of a speaker it may not do
all that well in the church. And the church might have too long a
reverberation time for a single singing voice.

Go to your room! Experiment to find a good place for the singer. Hang up
a couple of blankets or quilts if you need to deaden a wall.

me he
)
Old December 9th 08, 09:31 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger

"David Grant" > wrote in message

> I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's
> audition cd. I have the option of doing the recording in
> my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an acoustic baby
> grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
> roland digital piano.

Just because it is an electronic piano, doesn't eliminate the possibility of
it sounding good.

Very much depends on how it is mixed and what the speakers at church sound
like.

> Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice
> would seem to be the church,

Not so obvious if the presentation of the Roland is suboptimal.

> but as I have no past
> experience doing opera in my livingroom or recording
> digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

One thing to watch out for is that churches as a rule are much more live
than concert halls.

The heavy reverb can be good news because the reverb may conceal some of the
differences between the Roland and a good acoustic piano.

Old December 9th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:31:51 -0500, "Arny Krueger" >
wrote:

>> I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's
>> audition cd. I have the option of doing the recording in
>> my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an acoustic baby
>> grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
>> roland digital piano.

>Just because it is an electronic piano, doesn't eliminate the possibility of
>it sounding good.
>
>Very much depends on how it is mixed and what the speakers at church sound
>like.

Not for this project. Opera accompaniment demands a real piano that
does all the real pianistic things. It's still just a different
animal.
Old December 10th 08, 12:19 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
jtougas[_3_]

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 14:13:42 -0500, "David Grant"
> trained 100 monkeys to jump on the
keyboard and write:

>I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have the
>option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom with an
>acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a roland
>digital piano.
>
>Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
>church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
>recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

I would suggest the church.
--
jtougas

"listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go" - e.e. cummings
Old December 10th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Laurence Payne[_2_]

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:19:16 -0500, jtougas
> wrote:

>>Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
>>church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
>>recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

>I would suggest the church.

If this matters, why not get it completely right? There are more than
two rooms, two pianos in town.

Alternatively, if it's not a critical project maybe there's time to
experiment. Try both. If neither are good enough, start scouting for
other locations.
Old December 10th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

"David Grant" wrote ...
> I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have
> the option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom
> with an acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
> roland digital piano.
>
> Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
> church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
> recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!

Interesting question and good reduction to the critical tradeoff decision.

As others have observed, a lot comes down to the nature of the keyboard.

Since this is the *singer's* audition recording, certainly their choice
would heavily weight any final decision. My guess would be that
the singer would prefer performing in an acoustically comfortable
space. Certainly their accompanist should also have some say,
especially if your keyboard is not a classically weighted model.

Even if the singer has little (or no) recording experience, you should
be able to lay out the tradeoffs for them as clearly as you have done
here and let them decide what is best for them.

Old December 10th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Keith.

"David Grant" > wrote in message
> I'm doing an opera recital recording for my client's audition cd. I have
> the option of doing the recording in my not-so-hot sounding livingroom
> with an acoustic baby grand or at a local church with nice acoustics but a
> roland digital piano.
>
> Since the vocalist is the feature, the obvious choice would seem to be the
> church, but as I have no past experience doing opera in my livingroom or
> recording digital pianos I'd love a bit of reassurance!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

I think that the volume of an Opera voice plus piano is going to bring out
any negative living room acoustics and I really doubt that the singer would
feel comfortable singing at the required volume in the closed in intimacy of
a living room.
An Opera audition CD should simulate as close as possible the volume and
acoustically reflective conditions of an Opera theatre. So it looks like the
Church is a close to those conditions as you will get. A sympathetic
audience will help with sound absorption and may make the singer and pianist
more at ease.
Were there any guidelines given about the recording space?.
I ask because a standardised theatre resonance would help with those that
are judging the audition.

Keith.