Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

Default Let's Talk Miking Drums

On a Van Halen hit I heard the same thing [as this Kansas song], the snare drum is isolated from everything else [maybe some type of squelch?]. I assume this is done as not to capture any other noise? The cymbals appear to be isolated by frequency. Is this often done? Is it done during or after recording? You would never know it unless you heard the multi-tracks!...

Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son (1 min.)
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...es/drum-ks.mp3

And here's the best sounding version of Ticket To Ride, hand-clapping included! You're not going to hear that on the Beatles 2009 Remasters! Genuine Stereo. Made In The USA!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...es/ticket3.mp3

Thanks!

Jack :-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

JackA wrote:
On a Van Halen hit I heard the same thing [as this Kansas song], the snare =
drum is isolated from everything else [maybe some type of squelch?]. I assu=
me this is done as not to capture any other noise? The cymbals appear to be=
isolated by frequency. Is this often done? Is it done during or after reco=
rding? You would never know it unless you heard the multi-tracks!...

Odds are you probably have tracks that somebody has processed to increase
the separation.

It's very common for the snare to be spotmiked, but unless you're going
for a Phil Collins thing it's not normal for the snare to be gated.

Cymbals might be spotted or they might just rely on overheads for them,
but if you are hearing any real isolation you're hearing something that
someone has pre-equalized or gated.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 12:46:15 PM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
JackA wrote:
On a Van Halen hit I heard the same thing [as this Kansas song], the snare =
drum is isolated from everything else [maybe some type of squelch?]. I assu=
me this is done as not to capture any other noise? The cymbals appear to be=
isolated by frequency. Is this often done? Is it done during or after reco=
rding? You would never know it unless you heard the multi-tracks!...

Odds are you probably have tracks that somebody has processed to increase
the separation.

It's very common for the snare to be spotmiked, but unless you're going
for a Phil Collins thing it's not normal for the snare to be gated.

Cymbals might be spotted or they might just rely on overheads for them,
but if you are hearing any real isolation you're hearing something that
someone has pre-equalized or gated.

I feel it's gated!! Probably when there is singing they (cymbals) becomes problematic.

Jack

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

1. Whoever was the drummer on that Kansas track, could well serve as Ringo's bell boy, to fetch him some ciggies, or whatever.

2. Ticket to ride. What did you do? Generaal panning is reversed, drums and
(one of the )guitar(s) switched sides, but still drums are all on one side.
What's the point of such action?
Bass, originaly mixed on the side forming coherent and powerfull combo with
drums, is moved to the center, isolated and weak. Guess, at least partly, it
was due to hard filtering artefacts, from the process of isolating bass, and
lousy attempt to keep those artefacts less noticable.

The other guitar that was almost middle, now is on the same side with previously
mentioned one, fighting for space not only sonicaly, but literarly.
Where and when in your life you saw 2 guitar players sit on eacch other's head for the whole length of a song?

As already mentioned, bass portion of the mix is raather shy, thus in
disproportion with treble side, so as oposed to the poster in other topic, I don't think it's passable, at all.

Have to add, though, all your mixes, if they were of some original music of
your's, they could all pass and be accepted as artistic statement. They are
not unpleasant for listening. Your music, your mixes ..., nobody will tell you
what is good for you! I can accept that and actually I live by that rule with
my own music and mixes for personal use.
However, when treating other people's artistic products you don't have any
right to change their vision. You may enhance it, but not distort it, or ruin
it. And that's exactly what you do, you are ruining perfectly good mixes of
perfectly concieved and executed pop songs.
I can guarantee you, not one member of The Beatles, or their producer, anybody, wanted weak and muffled bass guitar, with two 6 strings fighting for space,
It could be they'd prefer it in the middle, but technology woulddn't permit.

Hope you get the difference.

Not to mention Debbie so abaove the backing, or Clem's drums so low and weaak, with out of ontrol synth pad swooshes.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/02/2015 8:02 a.m., Rick Ruskin wrote:

Gating the snare was quite common. Collins & Peter Gabriel got in the
habit of gating the snare's reverb. I think that's what you are
referring to as the "Phil Collins thing."

Which can get quite tiresome .....

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Rick Ruskin wrote:
On 16 Feb 2015 12:46:10 -0500, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
JackA wrote:
[...]

By the eighties, gating the snare was very common, just to try and keep
out leakage and get that sharp attack and decay. It was a popular PA
thing too. Not so a decade earlier, when there were generally fewer
drum tracks available to begin with.

The Phil Collins thing with the gated reverb on the snare is an exaggerated
example of the kind of sharp attack and decay.

These days I see a lot of people gating the snare to reduce the amount of
snare rattling from the kick. I think this is a misguided idea but I
understand why folks do it.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Monday, February 16, 2015 at 1:40:03 PM UTC-5, Luxey wrote:
1. Whoever was the drummer on that Kansas track, could well serve as Ringo's bell boy, to fetch him some ciggies, or whatever.

2. Ticket to ride. What did you do? Generaal panning is reversed, drums and
(one of the )guitar(s) switched sides, but still drums are all on one side.
What's the point of such action?
Bass, originaly mixed on the side forming coherent and powerfull combo with
drums, is moved to the center, isolated and weak. Guess, at least partly, it
was due to hard filtering artefacts, from the process of isolating bass, and
lousy attempt to keep those artefacts less noticable.

Dig this false start!!!...
http://www.angelfire.com/empire/abps...cket3-hold.mp3

Is it real or is it Memorex!!??

You may notice, if you hearing is up to par, that the tambourine [false start] is somewhat obliterated. George Martin in action again. Probably why the Beatles songs aren't considered audiophile material.

But, really, either I'm a genius or the whole world is filled with goofy people that takes things for granted. For decades I asked myself why a lot of Beatles tunes had weird, lopsided stereo. Guess what, I found the answer without an ounce of help! You may share this information with anyone you wish! Impress someone for a change!!!

Jack :-)

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 17/02/2015 1:01 p.m., JackA wrote:

You may notice, if you hearing is up to par, that the tambourine
[false start] is somewhat obliterated. George Martin in action again.
Probably why the Beatles songs aren't considered audiophile
material.

Que ?!!

But, really, either I'm a genius or the whole world is filled with
goofy people that takes things for granted. For decades I asked
myself why a lot of Beatles tunes had weird, lopsided stereo. Guess
what, I found the answer without an ounce of help! You may share this
information with anyone you wish! Impress someone for a change!!!

There is a third option. You really don't get it, do you. Not even
after having had it explained in simple terms many times over.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Luxey Luxey is offline

уторак, 17. фебруар 2015. 06.59.47 UTC+1,
geoff је написао/ла:
On 17/02/2015 1:01 p.m., JackA wrote:

...what, I found the answer without an ounce of help! You may share this
information with anyone you wish! Impress someone for a change!!!

There is a third option. You really don't get it, do you. Not even
after having had it explained in simple terms many times over.

He still don't get what a piece of information is.

What is going on with the miking here? Nate Najar Pro Audio 9 January 1st 14 03:51 PM
MS miking help needed Nate Najar Pro Audio 9 February 19th 07 11:49 PM
OH miking Tom Backus C.A.S. Pro Audio 2 March 13th 06 06:02 PM
Drums miking question ! [email protected] Pro Audio 7 December 8th 05 07:53 AM
Album Release: Head Full Of Drums "Drum The Drums" GEAR LIST Head Full Of Drums Pro Audio 2 June 12th 05 07:19 PM