MD

Default Grado cartridges - pick up too much noise

Seems like the Prestige cartridges pick up external noise to easy? (TT
motor etc)

Are there quieter cartridges - Oritfon, Goldring?
Uptown Audio

There are shielded cartridges but they do not necessarily sound
better. Grado has a huge following of enthusiasts and many will settle
for using nothing else. Most motors can be shielded usung Mu-metal,
which is an additional expense, but many find the benefits that the
Grado cartridges bring to be more than worth the cost. I like the
sound of them and don't find external noise pick-up to be a
significant issue considering their excellent sound and cost. It can
annoy some people in the most quiet passages (pauses in classical
music for instance) at higher listening levels. Most people that hear
the cartridges perform in person laugh once they hear how little noise
the naysayers are complaining about as it has been blown way out of
proportion.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"MD" wrote in message
Seems like the Prestige cartridges pick up external noise to easy?
(TT motor etc)

Are there quieter cartridges - Oritfon, Goldring?

MD

"MD" wrote in message

Seems like the Prestige cartridges pick up external noise to easy?
(TT motor etc)

Are there quieter cartridges - Oritfon, Goldring?

Thanks for responding

I use MuMetal and it works well - to a point
The noise from the motor doesn't pop in until the end of the last song
and there is is barely noticeable - even at loud volume

The noise I am hearing is there with motor off and with the unit well
away from anything else. Grounding the table helps but not enough

Are Ortifon and Goldring quieter/shielded (I like brands with
replaceable styli)
Uptown Audio

Most people find that there is no noise until the very end of the
record at a reasonably high volume without using Mu-metal. Maybe you
don't have the Mu-metal configured for best performance, but it sounds
like you may have done the best that you can with it. I suppose
everyones idea of what is objectionably noisey varies and using very
high efficiency speakers will certainly make any slight noise much
more prominent. Other designs may be more quiet in terms of shielding
from magnetic fields but they may also suffer in other areas
sonically. The Kontrapunkt series from Ortofon are quite nice but
don't have user replacable stylus. The best sounding cartridges IMHO
are low output moving coil cartridges and they don't have user
replacable stylus. I would not limit my choices to those having that
as a feature if you are critical about sound quality. I have had MC
cartridges last ten years so it is not a bad value in my opinion. I am
using a Dynavector LOMC cartridge now.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"MD" wrote in message

Seems like the Prestige cartridges pick up external noise to easy?
(TT motor etc)

Are there quieter cartridges - Oritfon, Goldring?

Thanks for responding

I use MuMetal and it works well - to a point
The noise from the motor doesn't pop in until the end of the last
song and there is is barely noticeable - even at loud volume

The noise I am hearing is there with motor off and with the unit
well away from anything else. Grounding the table helps but not
enough

Are Ortifon and Goldring quieter/shielded (I like brands with
replaceable styli)

Harry Lavo

"Uptown Audio" wrote in message
[...]

They can last longer than that...I have an Accuphase AC-2 that has been in
continual use since the early eighties. However, one should take into
account that my phono use has been at most "moderate" since the early '90's
when I finally achieved decent CD sound.