donaldjcecil

Default Im exited

I am building my first DAW! The computer will be:

`AMD 64Bit 3200+ 1600MHz FSB
`Asus A8V-E Deluxe [VIA Chip,8 USB,1 FIREWIRE,3 PCI,2 SATA]
`NZXT Nemesis Case
`480Watt Thermaltake Silent Pure Power Supply
`1024MB PC3200 DDR400
`Dual 160GB SATA 7200RPM w/ RAID 1 Configuration
`Sony D26A DL 16x DVD +/- R/RW

Audio interface:

`E-MU 1820M [
http://www.emu.com/products/product....category =754
]

Monitors:

`KRK RP5 Rokit Powered 2-Way Active Monitors [
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp5.asp ]

*Phew* I sure hope I am doing this right.
David Grant

*Phew* I sure hope I am doing this right.

Nice,

how good's your room though?

Pooh Bear

donaldjcecil wrote:

I am building my first DAW! The computer will be:

`AMD 64Bit 3200+ 1600MHz FSB
`Asus A8V-E Deluxe [VIA Chip,8 USB,1 FIREWIRE,3 PCI,2 SATA]
`NZXT Nemesis Case
`480Watt Thermaltake Silent Pure Power Supply
`1024MB PC3200 DDR400
`Dual 160GB SATA 7200RPM w/ RAID 1 Configuration
`Sony D26A DL 16x DVD +/- R/RW

Audio interface:

`E-MU 1820M [
http://www.emu.com/products/product....category =754
]

Monitors:

`KRK RP5 Rokit Powered 2-Way Active Monitors [
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp5.asp ]

*Phew* I sure hope I am doing this right.

Are you getting excited simply over the *technology* ?

If you want to hear nice sound listen to a good acoustic band. They don't need no damb
'puters you know !

Graham

Don Nafe

You might want to consider a third hot swap / USB / Firewire backup drive
for safety

Otherwise it should be a real smoker....but then I know squat about
computers

Don

"donaldjcecil" wrote in message
I am building my first DAW! The computer will be:

`AMD 64Bit 3200+ 1600MHz FSB
`Asus A8V-E Deluxe [VIA Chip,8 USB,1 FIREWIRE,3 PCI,2 SATA]
`NZXT Nemesis Case
`480Watt Thermaltake Silent Pure Power Supply
`1024MB PC3200 DDR400
`Dual 160GB SATA 7200RPM w/ RAID 1 Configuration
`Sony D26A DL 16x DVD +/- R/RW

Audio interface:

`E-MU 1820M [
http://www.emu.com/products/product....category =754 ]

Monitors:

`KRK RP5 Rokit Powered 2-Way Active Monitors [
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp5.asp ]

*Phew* I sure hope I am doing this right.

EADGBE

Yes, but what version of OS X will it run?

Just a joke! Sorry, I couldn't resist!

:-)

donaldjcecil

Pooh Bear wrote:
donaldjcecil wrote:

[...]

I happen to like technology. And music. Now I get to work with both at
my own leisure.
donaldjcecil

Don Nafe wrote:
You might want to consider a third hot swap / USB / Firewire backup drive
for safety

Otherwise it should be a real smoker....but then I know squat about
computers

Don

The RAID 1 configuration is the backup. There are two hard drives, but
with RAID 1 everything is automatically written to the second drive as a
backup. So you basically have one drive. It's commonplace to see that
setup on servers, but I feel it is also important to incorporate it when
you are dealing with someone's art.
jtougas

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:51:38 -0700, donaldjcecil
wrote:

I am building my first DAW! The computer will be:

`AMD 64Bit 3200+ 1600MHz FSB
`Asus A8V-E Deluxe [VIA Chip,8 USB,1 FIREWIRE,3 PCI,2 SATA]
`NZXT Nemesis Case
`480Watt Thermaltake Silent Pure Power Supply
`1024MB PC3200 DDR400
`Dual 160GB SATA 7200RPM w/ RAID 1 Configuration
`Sony D26A DL 16x DVD +/- R/RW

I'd highly suggest using a separate drive for the OS (an IDE drive'll
do fine, and they're cheap) and use the RAID for the audio data.
Especially if you're going to be using any sampling software.

Other'n that, it's looking nice. :-)
jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings

jtougas

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:01:40 GMT, "Alex Coluzzi"
wrote:

I second this suggestion. And doubling the RAM would not hurt, memory is
cheap...

Not a bad idea, but if you do, splurge and go for 1GB chips. That
way, if you ever buy more RAM for the system, you're not throwing away
two 512MB chips, you're just adding two more 1GB chips (which will
presumably be cheaper in the future).

jtougas

listen- there's a hell of a good universe next door
let's go

e.e. cummings
Bob Cain

donaldjcecil wrote:

The RAID 1 configuration is the backup. There are two hard drives, but
with RAID 1 everything is automatically written to the second drive as a
backup. So you basically have one drive. It's commonplace to see that
setup on servers, but I feel it is also important to incorporate it when
you are dealing with someone's art.

Removable is still good. What if you have a fire,
earthquake, monster hurricane, tsunami, lightning strike, etc.?

Having a backup kept remote from where you work is a
comforting feeling. Sure, both can take a hit from the same
"act of God" but the probability is lower nonetheless.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Bob

djeeezz, let the kid be excited man, WTF's wrong with that? Cheers,
Bob
"Pooh Bear" schreef in bericht
donaldjcecil wrote:

[...]

David Grant

*Phew* I sure hope I am doing this right.

how good's your room though?

WHat he's supposed to do this in a room? You mean like plug in
microphones and record actual musicians creating art?

Nah it's all supposed to be done with loops and amp simulators and all
that dreck. Whaddaya want a room for? HE can wonk out in his bedroom
with his headphones on and create music nobody will ever hear. Oops
maybe that's the problem, we're hearing too much o' that stuff.

Even computer-generated music needs to be mixed properly and the only way to
do that is in a good room. Not my style of music either really, but some
people obviously like it.

Dave

David Grant

Pooh Bear wrote:
donaldjcecil wrote:

I am building my first DAW! The computer will be:

`AMD 64Bit 3200+ 1600MHz FSB
`Asus A8V-E Deluxe [VIA Chip,8 USB,1 FIREWIRE,3 PCI,2 SATA]
`NZXT Nemesis Case
`480Watt Thermaltake Silent Pure Power Supply
`1024MB PC3200 DDR400
`Dual 160GB SATA 7200RPM w/ RAID 1 Configuration
`Sony D26A DL 16x DVD +/- R/RW

Audio interface:

`E-MU 1820M [

http://www.emu.com/products/product....y=754&maincate

gory=754
]

Monitors:

`KRK RP5 Rokit Powered 2-Way Active Monitors [
http://www.krksys.com/v3/rokit_rp5.asp ]

*Phew* I sure hope I am doing this right.

Are you getting excited simply over the *technology* ?

If you want to hear nice sound listen to a good acoustic band. They

don't need no damb
'puters you know !

Graham

I happen to like technology. And music. Now I get to work with both at
my own leisure.

Just be aware, and try not to fall into the same trap so many have: The
fastest computer in the world with the most expensive equipment is capable
of creating the crappiest music if the person using it lacks the necessary
skills.

donaldjcecil

Pooh Bear wrote:

donaldjcecil wrote:

[...]

I was given the resources to build this as a gift from the richer side
of my family, and I am currently going to school for "digital audio
production" and "recording arts." I am definitely forturnate to have
this edge over the other students, but I don't plan on taking this
lightly/for granted. I feel very privlaged, and I plan on using this
privlage. I will try not to fall into that "trap" . Im just an honest
student learning to be a recording artist.

Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2005 04:59:44 GMT

dave wrote:
how good's your room though?

WHat he's supposed to do this in a room? You mean like plug in
microphones and record actual musicians creating art?
Nah it's all supposed to be done with loops and amp simulators
and all that dreck. Whaddaya want a room for? HE can wonk out
in his bedroom with his headphones on and create music nobody
will ever hear. Oops maybe that's the problem, we're hearing too

much o' that stuff. Even computer-generated music needs to be mixed
properly and the only way to do that is in a good room. Not my
style of music either really, but some people obviously like it.

YEs it does, with a knowledge of how things mied on your monitors
translate to the real world.
STill wonder if he's exited as in "ELvis has exitedthe building" or
excited.
either way a good control room is a must, and hopefully a good
tracking space if he plans on making real music.

Richard Webb,
Electric SPider Productions, New Orleans, La.
REplace anything before the @ symbol with elspider for real email

--

"Standing in the Glare of Quantization" Watch for it on
Empty-Vee.--- Hank Alrich
Pooh Bear

Bob wrote:

djeeezz, let the kid be excited man, WTF's wrong with that? Cheers,
Bob

Nah , he said exited ! ;-)

I can understand some enthusiam over getting his new toy. I hear less about what he's
going to do with it.

Graham

donaldjcecil

dave wrote:
[...]

I would like to hear a definition of "real music." And I will be honest,
I haven't given much consideration to acoustics, as I don't think it
would be very probable in my situation. I rent a house. I plan on
putting the unit in the garage, but I don't think the landlord would
take kindly to me putting up large scale room acoustics. Maybe you can
give me some advice? Are there any quick fixes I can do to remedy my
control room?
donaldjcecil

Pooh Bear wrote:
Bob wrote:

djeeezz, let the kid be excited man, WTF's wrong with that? Cheers,
Bob

Nah , he said exited ! ;-)

I can understand some enthusiam over getting his new toy. I hear less about what he's
going to do with it.

Graham

I plan on recording an all brass band. Seriously though, it is kind of a
toy, and kind of a gift, and to me a great privlage, because I will have
this unit while I go to school for recording arts. It may not be the
best setup in many respects, but I am still going to make the best use I
can out of it.
Pooh Bear

donaldjcecil wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
Bob wrote:

djeeezz, let the kid be excited man, WTF's wrong with that? Cheers,
Bob

Nah , he said exited ! ;-)

I can understand some enthusiam over getting his new toy. I hear less about what he's
going to do with it.

Graham

I plan on recording an all brass band.

Just that ? You weren't looking wider afield so as to gain experience in a broad variety of
situations ? Your proposal is way too limited.

Seriously though, it is kind of a
toy, and kind of a gift, and to me a great privlage,

If it's a gift, that's fine. If however you plan to make a career in recording you'll find
it tough ! Nice toys notwithstanding. It'll be obsolete in a few years anyway.

because I will have
this unit while I go to school for recording arts. It may not be the
best setup in many respects, but I am still going to make the best use I
can out of it.

What school ? There are plenty out there just pampering to ppls' vain hopes and desires of
'making it work out' in audio. For every *real job* in audio there are probably (
conservatively ) 10 times that number being trained by 'schools'.

To be successful you have to be damn good ! I suggest you start with a basic trainer in
acoustics since you mentioned that, as there are probably more jobs available in acoustic
control than will ever be there for recording engineers.

Failing that, look at film and video production as interesting related areas. Heck, you
might even become a rich porn producer !

Graham

David Grant

I suggest you read http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Too help you understand the importance of good room acoustics, first read
the quote below taken from the site above(something I wish I'd done right
when I was starting up and not several years after):

"What's the point in buying a microphone preamp that is ruler flat from DC
to microwaves when the acoustics in your control room create peaks and dips
as large as 20 dB throughout the entire bass range? How important really are
jitter artifacts 110 dB below the music when standing waves in your studio
cause a huge hole at 80 Hz exactly where you placed a mike for the acoustic
bass? Clearly, frequency response errors of this magnitude are an enormous
problem, yet most studios and control rooms suffer from this defect. Worse,
many studio owners have no idea their rooms have such a skewed response!
Without knowing what your music really sounds like, it is difficult to
produce a quality product, and even more difficult to create mixes that
sound the same outside your control room. "

wrote:
dave wrote:
[...]

David Grant

"Pooh Bear" wrote in message
donaldjcecil wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:
Bob wrote:

[...]

I'd agree, but he has a "rich side" of his family, so maybe making money's
not really his concern. Perhaps this is just a really expensive hobby, in
which case your warnings aren't really of much consequence to him. Heck if
he's got lots of money he can probably pay bands/musicians (if need be) to
come in and record, until he gets the experience he needs - am I wrong?

donaldjcecil

David Grant wrote:
"Pooh Bear" wrote in message

donaldjcecil wrote:

Pooh Bear wrote:

Bob wrote:

[...]

believe me, i am in no way rich, and making money is a concern. I would
like to pursue a career in music. what I want to do yet, I dont know. In
the meantime I will just work a stable job while I'm attending community
college for my preliminary music courses (and if anyone is familiar with
the name Mira Costa then you know it's has a relatively exceptional
music program). I am 22 years old, so it's not as if I'm in a big hurry.

I was shocked to get help from that side of my family, seeing as for my
Highschool graduation they gave me $25, and for christmas a medium size
shirt (I wear a XXL). So needless I was wide-eyed, and I know I'm
privlaged to have this extra leverage when I'll be taking my classes.

Interesting you mention acoustics as a career. I never really thought of
that as a specialization, but someone's got to do it I suppose. That's
definitely something else to look into.