Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean B Sean B is offline

Default Zarathustra SACD/DSD

Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

Thanks,

Sean B
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris K-Man Chris K-Man is offline

On Saturday, May 8, 2021 at 4:36:39 PM UTC-4, Sean B wrote:
Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

Thanks,

Sean B

______

This version moves me to tears every time I
hear it.....!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 5/8/2021 4:36 PM, Sean B wrote:
Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

Thanks,

Sean B

OK, I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for... but ages ago I found this
awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
[I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]
Anyway, I put it in my dropbox.
~~
Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfv21c6ybg...0bluegrass.wav

--
==
Later...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 08/05/2021 9:41 pm, Ron C wrote:
On 5/8/2021 4:36 PM, Sean B wrote:
Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach)
Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version
for its tempo and interpretation.Â* Has this ever been released on SACD or as a
DSD file?Â* The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

Thanks,

Sean B

OK, I'm sure this isn't what you're looking for... but ages ago I found this
awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
[I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]
Anyway, I put it in my dropbox.
~~
Dropbox link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfv21c6ybg...0bluegrass.wav

Too cool!! Who's playing Dobro on this?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/8/2021 10:41 PM, Ron C wrote:
I found this
awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
[I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]

Nope, it wasn't from me. Unusual, for sure.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 5/10/2021 8:33 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/8/2021 10:41 PM, Ron C wrote:
I found this
awesome Bluegrass version from someone in this newsgroup.
[I seem to recall it was Mike Rivers, but may be wrong.]

Nope, it wasn't from me. Unusual, for sure.

Hmm, I'm going to have to dig deep in my archives to
find the source and details. I found that clip 20++ years
ago in a Recording Magazine extra stuff CD.
I seem to recall it was attributed to someone on
this group.
Damn, that was a while ago...
~
If/when I find more I'll post it.
--
==
Later...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] joe@mich.com is offline

On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:36:36 -0700 (PDT), Sean B wrote:

Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.

https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Also-.../dp/B000003FE9
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sat, 8 May 2021 13:36:36 -0700 (PDT), Sean B wrote:

Hello,

I've been searching for the best recorded version of (Also Sprach) Zarathustra, by Richard Strauss, and I really like the 1973 Karajan version for its tempo and interpretation. Has this ever been released on SACD or as a DSD file? The CD version has some very screechy strings.

Are there any other versions of this piece that people like?

The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.

https://www.amazon.com/Strauss-Also-.../dp/B000003FE9

_______
I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/05/2021 13:14, Chris K-Man wrote:
On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.

I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'

Not according to Imdb.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Music by Richard Strauss
Performed by Wiener Philharmoniker (uncredited)
Conducted by Herbert von Karajan (uncredited)

Kubrick and Clarke used commercial recordings for the music track, as
they had run out of money for a realm orchestral sound track. As it
happened, it worked very well.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 10:03:27 AM UTC-4, John Williamson wrote:
On 10/05/2021 13:14, Chris K-Man wrote:
On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 7:01:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:

The 1954 recording by Reiner conducting Chicago Symphony is considered by many to be the standard to which others are measured.

I wonder if that's the version that was used in the score for '2001: A Space Odyssey'

Not according to Imdb.

Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Music by Richard Strauss
Performed by Wiener Philharmoniker (uncredited)
Conducted by Herbert von Karajan (uncredited)

Kubrick and Clarke used commercial recordings for the music track, as
they had run out of money for a realm orchestral sound track. As it
happened, it worked very well.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

______

Do we have a year for that version? 1960s?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 10/05/2021 23:19, Chris K-Man wrote:
[...]

It took me almost a minute to find out that Karajan and the Wiener
Philharmoniker only issued one recording of that piece.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

SACD vs SACD or DVD Audio player Edmund[_2_] High End Audio 6 September 24th 09 09:54 PM
SACD & DSD Tiagahsong Tech 7 July 9th 07 03:56 PM
SACD AL High End Audio 8 November 24th 05 07:20 AM
SACD Chicken Legs General 2 October 23rd 04 07:51 PM
SACD + DVD-A PostLot Audio Opinions 1 June 10th 04 12:47 PM