New Shure mics vs. old

Old May 16th 18, 05:16 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

Default New Shure mics vs. old

I have both an old Shure SM-57 and SM-58 left over from my college rock
band in the '70s. I never liked the sound of them on my voice (they
sound dull to me), but they do have the advantage of being practically
indestructible. I've heard them used by lots of other people and they
sound just fine for a stage mike. I've always assumed that those mics
just don't flatter my particular voice, though I've also heard that
they were finicky about what preamp they were used with, so maybe I
just didn't pair them well.

But then I read recently (on the Shure web site, I think) that they had
actually redesigned the mics a few times over the years (different
transformers, maybe?) and that new ones don't sound like the old ones.

Does anyone have more information about that? I'm wondering if it would
be practical or useful to "upgrade" them or buy new ones, or if it will
make any difference at all.
Old May 16th 18, 06:51 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

On 16/05/2018 4:16 PM, Nil wrote:
> I have both an old Shure SM-57 and SM-58 left over from my college rock
> band in the '70s. I never liked the sound of them on my voice (they
> sound dull to me), but they do have the advantage of being practically
> indestructible. I've heard them used by lots of other people and they
> sound just fine for a stage mike. I've always assumed that those mics
> just don't flatter my particular voice, though I've also heard that
> they were finicky about what preamp they were used with, so maybe I
> just didn't pair them well.
>
> But then I read recently (on the Shure web site, I think) that they had
> actually redesigned the mics a few times over the years (different
> transformers, maybe?) and that new ones don't sound like the old ones.
>
> Does anyone have more information about that? I'm wondering if it would
> be practical or useful to "upgrade" them or buy new ones, or if it will
> make any difference at all.

Yeah - for the last 20 years or more they sound like being stung in the
ear by a wasp. But not as much as a C1000 !

Old May 16th 18, 07:12 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

On 16 May 2018, geoff > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> Yeah - for the last 20 years or more they sound like being stung
> in the ear by a wasp. But not as much as a C1000 !

All kidding aside... are you saying the new ones are brighter or
harsher than the old ones? Was this a gradual change, or was there some
major design change that did it, and when? My mic is about 40 years
old.

Brighter or harsher might not necessarily be a bad thing in some
situations for my voice, which tends to be soft-toned (not necessarily
volume-wise) and can have trouble cutting through. I would also be
using them on an electric guitar amp. I figure for that, "bright" can
be controlled by placement.
Old May 16th 18, 11:20 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil Allison[_4_]

Nil wrote:

> All kidding aside... are you saying the new ones are brighter or
> harsher than the old ones? Was this a gradual change, or was there some
> major design change that did it, and when?

** Shure have made no major design changes to the SM57 or 58.

You may be confusing them it with the Beta 57/58 or Beta 57/58A models. The Beta 58 had no transformer and numerous other changes but was not a success and was soon dropped to be replaced by the Beta 58A.

> My mic is about 40 years old.

** The foam sock under the grill and disk on top of the capsule turn into crumbles a lot sooner that that. Take a good look.

..... Phil
Old May 16th 18, 12:50 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Nil > wrote:
>I have both an old Shure SM-57 and SM-58 left over from my college rock
>band in the '70s. I never liked the sound of them on my voice (they
>sound dull to me), but they do have the advantage of being practically
>indestructible. I've heard them used by lots of other people and they
>sound just fine for a stage mike. I've always assumed that those mics
>just don't flatter my particular voice, though I've also heard that
>they were finicky about what preamp they were used with, so maybe I
>just didn't pair them well.
>
>But then I read recently (on the Shure web site, I think) that they had
>actually redesigned the mics a few times over the years (different
>transformers, maybe?) and that new ones don't sound like the old ones.
>
>Does anyone have more information about that? I'm wondering if it would
>be practical or useful to "upgrade" them or buy new ones, or if it will
>make any difference at all.

SM-57 and SM-58 haven't changed, except that the consistency has improved
and they moved production to Mexico some time in the late 1980s.

Fletcher and a few others claim that the sound of the US-made ones is better
than the sound of the Mexican ones, but I could never tell the difference
really.

The SM-57 and SM-58 have the same capsule inside, but sound totally different.
I find the SM-58 dull because of the foam ball, but the SM-57 is a remarkably
useful mike.

Now, there have been a lot of variants on those designs, such as the 556
and the Beta 57 and so forth, but they aren't the same.

Old May 16th 18, 12:52 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

geoff > wrote:

>Yeah - for the last 20 years or more they sound like being stung in the
>ear by a wasp. But not as much as a C1000 !

Don't blame the mike for that. They were designed to be loaded by a
transformer input. Put them into a modern transformerless preamp and they
will ring like mad.

Paul Stamler's trick of adding a 600 ohm shunt resistor in a barrel connector
fixes the issue.
Old May 16th 18, 01:51 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Nil[_2_]

On 16 May 2018, Phil Allison > wrote in
rec.audio.pro:

> ** The foam sock under the grill and disk on top of the capsule
> turn into crumbles a lot sooner that that. Take a good look.

Been there, done that! Over the years the foam had turned to a gummy
tar-like mass. I scraped the crud out and used it for a few years with
just the bare metal ball, sometimes with an external foam thing. A few
months ago I discovered that you can get OEM grills for cheap, and I
did.
Old May 16th 18, 02:25 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers[_2_]

On 5/16/2018 7:50 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
> The SM-57 and SM-58 have the same capsule inside, but sound totally different.
> I find the SM-58 dull because of the foam ball, but the SM-57 is a remarkably
> useful mike.

A friend of mine who's selling off some of his mics decided to keep two
of his four SM-57s that he's acquired over about nearly a 50 year
period. He compared the four on a single voice (for convenience) and
found one that was considerably better than the rest. That was an
American made one.

Possibly there could be a difference in assembly or components, or just
the life that it (and the others) had led.

Old May 16th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message news
<snippage>

The SM-57 and SM-58 have the same capsule inside, but sound totally
different.
I find the SM-58 dull because of the foam ball, but the SM-57 is a
remarkably
useful mike.

Scott,
I know this has been discussed in length, but in your opinion would taking
the foam out of a 58 make it a 57 (outside of the physical design)?

Poly

---

Old May 16th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

In article >, polymod > wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message news >
><snippage>
>
>The SM-57 and SM-58 have the same capsule inside, but sound totally
>different.
>I find the SM-58 dull because of the foam ball, but the SM-57 is a
>remarkably
>useful mike.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>Scott,
>I know this has been discussed in length, but in your opinion would taking
>the foam out of a 58 make it a 57 (outside of the physical design)?

You have to remove the metal grille too, but yes, if you do this it sounds
pretty much like an SM-57. However, with the grille removed it's very delicate
and easy to break.

Still, when the rental company gives you a box of SM-58s and you need a mike
for a guitar cabinet, it's a good plan.

Shure 556S Mics mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 6 May 3rd 11 06:02 AM
4 mics compared, Schoeps, Shure, and CAD Fran Guidry Pro Audio 59 July 6th 09 11:30 PM
Shure MX393 Tabletop Mics apa Pro Audio 0 April 6th 09 05:48 PM
Older Shure mics Doug S Pro Audio 20 March 13th 08 12:07 PM
Shure Wireless Mics TS Pro Audio 2 November 17th 03 11:12 PM