Schizoid Man

Default Question about Phono input stages

What exactly is the difference in the input stages between Phono and Aux for
regular stereo receivers?

Will I damage my speakers if I connect an Xbox to the phono inputs? I only
have one Aux and that is being used by the cable box.

Arny Krueger

"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

What exactly is the difference in the input stages between Phono and
Aux for regular stereo receivers?

Phono inputs have far more gain, and also have frequency-dependent gain to
compensate for the recorded characteristics of the LP

Aux inputs have far less gain, and have nearly flat frequency response.

Will I damage my speakers if I connect an Xbox to the phono inputs?

It should sound pretty weird - very loud and bass-heavy.

I only have one Aux and that is being used by the cable box.

Use an external switch to connect more than one source to one of your Aux
inputs.

Schizoid Man

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"Schizoid Man" wrote in message

Will I damage my speakers if I connect an Xbox to the phono inputs?

It should sound pretty weird - very loud and bass-heavy.

It did sound rather harsh and quite horrible.

I only have one Aux and that is being used by the cable box.

Use an external switch to connect more than one source to one of your Aux
inputs.

Sander deWaal

"Schizoid Man" said:

What exactly is the difference in the input stages between Phono and Aux for
regular stereo receivers?

Yep. Aux will accept any line signal, like a tuner, CD player or
tapedeck.
Phono will accept only tiny signals from a turntable cartridge.
It is designed to handle signals in the 1...5 mV range and has a
so-called RIAA equalization.
So the phono input can't be used to connect a line signal to.

Note: you can build a little circuit like given in the link below to
convert a line signal in an acceptable format for your phono input.
The text is in Dutch, but all you really need is the schematic:

http://www.circuitsonline.net/circuits/view/86

Will I damage my speakers if I connect an Xbox to the phono inputs? I only
have one Aux and that is being used by the cable box.

If you set the volume at normal listening levels, the sound will be
extremely loud and full of bass. Not recommended.

--
Sander de Waal
" SOA of a KT88? Sufficient. "