Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
BOB URZ

Default Harpsichord sampling

Here's the pickle i am trying to figure out. I am working with
a tour that used a Roland C50 harpsichord. This was a 1989 vintage
unit that was a complete system with keyboard. The tone module was
disembowelled from it and used as a stand along module (midi
controlled). This module has took a dump. It looks like it cannot be
revived in time for the tour. Now, i have access to another unit
(cannot take it on tour) that i could sample. I think this 1989 vintage
module had no velocity, after touch and the other nicy nice things
modern keyboards have now. So, what are the chances of sampling
the module and having it sound dam close to the original?
If this were possible, it would have to be a two rack space high
sampler unit. Any thoughts on this?

Bob
NSE

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
TimPerry

"BOB URZ" wrote in message
Here's the pickle i am trying to figure out. I am working with
a tour that used a Roland C50 harpsichord. This was a 1989 vintage
unit that was a complete system with keyboard. The tone module was
disembowelled from it and used as a stand along module (midi
controlled). This module has took a dump. It looks like it cannot be
revived in time for the tour. Now, i have access to another unit
(cannot take it on tour) that i could sample. I think this 1989 vintage
module had no velocity, after touch and the other nicy nice things
modern keyboards have now. So, what are the chances of sampling
the module and having it sound dam close to the original?
If this were possible, it would have to be a two rack space high
sampler unit. Any thoughts on this?

Bob
NSE

can you just record the track needed on the working unit and put a CD player
or something inside the broken one?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Bob Urz

TimPerry wrote:

"BOB URZ" wrote in message

[...]

Well, the only way to do it right from what i can tell is to sample each
midi note separately from a donor unit to a sampler. Roland still makes
one rack mount sampler. So far, i don't have the OK to move forward.
Have to see what happens. Talked to Roland and they seem to think it
might be possible to fix it. I would not make book on it.
The new sampler also has 5 harpsichord sounds in it. But no guarantees
they are clones of the 1989 PRE pcm unit.

Bob

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Dave H.

--------------8---snippety snip --------------------------------
So, what are the chances of sampling
the module and having it sound dam close to the original?
If this were possible, it would have to be a two rack space high
sampler unit. Any thoughts on this?

Bob
NSE

The harpsichord isn't a particularly dynamic instrument (the real thing
isn't velocity sensitive, having a jack and quill that picks the string with
a fixed relationship between the quill and string, some having two separate
manuals (keyboards) for piano and forte(ish)), so sampling a real instrument
or the remains of the module wouldn't be too long a job?

In the world of 2U samplers, the Yamaha A4000/A5000 is (in my humble but
partisan opinion) a good choice, although the user interface is a touch
hostile to those used to Akai etc and loading times from disc are terrible
(until you switch off "load and play") - it has the great advantages of one
of the best multi-effects units I've known built in, and truly wonderful
routing abilities that make it more a full sample-and-synthesis unit than
just a sample player. You should be able to pick one up for about $300 -
$500, if possible go for one with an IDE hard drive built in and the full
128Meg of RAM. If you can bear to read Yamaha manuals, the user manuals are
available online from Yamaha free and for nuffing to give you an idea what
it's capable of... as is the software upgrade that sorts a few of the bugs
from initial release! Once upgraded, it's damn reliable, mine hasn't let me
down (touches wood), and very versatile. 32-voice multi-timbal on the A5000
(16 on the A4000) and 128-note poly (64) too... There are a couple of quite
realistic harpsichords on the original CD set too, if you get it with the
sampler, although you'll need a SCSI CD-ROM drive to use 'em.

HTH,

Dave H.
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

Harpsichord sampling BOB URZ Pro Audio 3 April 17th 06 07:53 PM
sampling differences Nat Tech 7 November 25th 04 02:28 AM
sampling differences Nat Pro Audio 15 November 25th 04 02:28 AM
sampling differences Nat Pro Audio 0 November 22nd 04 03:33 AM
Newbe question: pitch and octave frequency ratio? Geoff Wood Tech 47 November 7th 04 08:12 AM