Harry Lavo

wrote in message
The only 'test' in the scientific sense that would have any value would
be to have a subject wear something resembling the equipment used for
lie detection.

The subject's bodily functions would be monitored while he listens to
two or more different cables, to a succession of musical selections
repeated several times with each cable. The order of presentation would
be randomized, so that he is not always listeing to a given cable
first. If there is a difference in the 'excitement' provided by one
cable over another, it may show up in the readings. Presumably, a
more-excited subject's physiological responses (heart rate, breathing,
galvanic skin response, etc.) would be elevated. If the product is
indeed more 'exciting', it should cause measurable differences in the
subject's responses.

http://www.trans4mind.com/psychotechnics/gsr.html

Or brain activity can be monitored directly. This is what Oohashi and his
group did in order to correlate with subjective ratings of sound pleasure in
the test they ran on inclusion of ultr-high frequencies in music (and they
did find a correlation).

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Aug 2005 00:11:54 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

The audio skeptic is asserting something of this general form. He
observes that Karl cannot discriminate between SACD and CD versions of
a song in an ABX test (any such test, quick-switch or otherwise). What
he claims is, for all we know, the following could be the case:

(1) there is some property x such that when Karl listens to the SACD
version in its entirety he hears it as having property x but when he
listens to the CD version in its entirety he does not hear it as having
property x, and

(2) there are properties of musical passages that are perceived only
when the subject hears an entire piece or song, not short excerpts, but
which fade in memory on consecutive time-distal presentations,
preventing effective comparison, and

(3) x is one such property.

Please note that all of (1), (2), and (3) are included in the scope of
"for all we know." The reason why (2) and (3) are included is because
they may be relevant to explaining why the difference doesn't get
picked up in the tests.

The skeptic is not asserting that he knows that there is such a
property x, or that he knows the nature of that property. He is simply
saying that for all we know, there could be such a property. What we
know doesn't entail that there isn't.

Is the skeptic wrong? Do we know that there is no such property? If
so, how do we know that?

As ever, you post hundreds of lines but fail to get to the point.

If x exists, then Karl will be able to listen both CD and SACD many
times, and will reliably report the presence of x at the end of each
performance via SACD. The important thing is that Karl must not *know*
which medium is playing each time that he listens.

If Karl is unable to do this, then ipso facto x does *not* exist in
the physical soundfield, although it may certainly exist *in his mind*
when he *knows* which medium is playing.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 5 Aug 2005 00:34:12 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 2 Aug 2005 15:52:16 GMT, Mark DeBellis wrote:

Various things are said to be known. "How do you know?" is not a
reasonable question?

Thousands of lines of agonising about it, without ever trying to find
out for yourself, is indicative of ego over interest.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

apparently without
ever considering that it's very simple just to go try it for yourself.

Not sure I get you here. Try what? An ABX test? Not sure what a
single result would establish.

Nothing - that's why you should try 20 results.

OK, so I take 20 ABX tests and I can't tell SACD and CD apart in those
tests. We know what to infer from this without theory?

We know that, to you in that system, they sound the same. No 'theory'
is required, and certainly no deep philosophical agonising. Sometimes
an egg is just an egg................

Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
On 31 Jul 2005 15:33:45 GMT, Keith Hughes
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

snip, in order to focus on issue being responded to

Give Karl a pencil
and paper, replicate the ratings test within the same/different
protocol, and all will be well.

No recording is needed. *HE CAN DIFFERENTIATE THE TWO* - He already
showed that.

In one test, Karl rates his satisfaction. He can differentiate A and
B in that test.

In the other test, Karl is asked, "Do these sound the same or
different to you?" He is asked to compare how A and B *sound*.

These are different tasks and psychologically different situations.

So when you say, "All Karl has to do is repeat *EXACTLY* what he did
above," that is putting the procedure of one test into another. It is
asking Karl to rate his satisfaction in response to each, to compare
his answers, and to use *that* as the basis of the differentiation.

There is no a priori assurance that if Karl completes the second test
in the normal, straightforward way, the result will be the same as in
the first test.

Retain what you choose, but to snip the basis for a statement is rather
poor form.

Exactly the reason and even the methodology for the monadic control test I
proposed.

snip, irrelevant to above

I fail to see why this is more scientific then listening alone tests. Why
assume those responses "excitement", maybe they are repulsion or dred. If
one wants to do this it is still required that which cable is in use is
not known. In fact an intresting test would be to use this setup and have
runs where it is known and others wher it is not, that would use the same
test to confirm that perceptions or "bodily functions" are a product of
knowing what the wire is just as it is when using listening. In any
case, this is speculation and the state of the art at present and the
nbenchmark for all others to compare are the results that hearing
difference disappears when wire being used is not known.. That one can
imagine alternatives is not the same as it being valid and doesn't replace
the current benchmark.

[...]

Quite different then suppporting wire makes a difference notions. Did
they exclude bone conduction and resonances thereof? One of the
"pleasures" of some is to have the music loud enough to "feel" it and
brain scans would no doubt confirm it.
Mark DeBellis

Keith Hughes wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Keith Hughes wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

On 2 Aug 2005 15:51:31 GMT, Keith Hughes
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

He identified blue each time, but at no point was he able to judge
*that* the colors were the same. The two perceptions didn't get
combined in the right way to produce a judgment of identity or
similarity. (You're denying that this can happen?)

In this context, certainly I'm denying it. Karl has an internal
reference for Blue. He identified A as Blue, and B as Blue. No he did
not compare A and B directly, but so what? He identified them,
separately, as "BLUE", and in doing so, defined the perceptions as same,
or similar. That's what identifying them as Blue *means*.

Identifying them *as the same* goes beyond categorizing each,
separately, in the same way.

Not in the context in which you couched the Karl scenario. You are
trying to postulate that Karl, listening for 'satisfaction', uses a
totally difference perceptual mechanism

I'm not postulating that the mechanisms are totally different, only
observing that the testing situations are psychologically different in
significant respects.

No, you are not "observing" that the situations are significantly
different, you are hypothesizing, sans evidence, that there *could* be a
difference. Not at all the same thing.

First of all, I am observing that the two kinds of tests we are
discussing (rating and same/different judgment) ask different questions
of the subject, or request him/her to perform different tasks. They
are different situations from a psychological standpoint.

Second, for something to be presented as a hypothesis does not mean
that it is asserted to be true, or that the person presenting it says
he knows is true. A hypothesis is something "submitted for your
consideration," a la Rod Serling. You have been arguing that I can't
know that certain things are true. But I haven't been claiming to know
that those things are true.(*) Rather, I am asking what evidence there
is, if any, that they're false. (If we don't know that they're false,
then, for all we know, they could be true.)

Whether I have evidence for the hypothesis is relevant only if I am
asserting it to be true. I do not have to already know it's true, or
claim to know it's true, in order to ask what evidence there is for it,
pro or con.

I mean, really. I am saying, what if? What if such and such were
true? Would it show up on the tests? If you want to tell me *why*
such and such can't be true, or why it *would* show up on the tests,
great. But you seem to be saying that you've resolved the matter when
you say that I've put the idea forward without having sufficient
evidence that it's true. It's a hypothetical question.

(*) Even if I think, and have argued, that you're wrong to say that
it's impossible to know that they are true.

than when listening for
'difference', and further that there is *no* overlap in the acquired
data (your problem with the misperception, IMO, that it's a "test within
a test" to say that the ability to differentiate satisfaction will
clearly result in an ability to differentiate the two systems).

I'm not getting what you're saying in parentheses. And, about this
"test within a test" issue, could you please explain your idea that
"All Karl has to do is repeat *EXACTLY* what he did above. He say's to
himself, 'Hmmmm, I like A better than B, logic dictates that they must
be different'" (Date: 26 Jul 2005 18:10:52 GMT, Message-ID:
). It sounds to me like that is simply
saying to enact the method of one test within another. If it isn't,
then what do you mean?

I'm unsure how you can be missing this point. Let's take it one step at
a time:

1. Karl is presented with some form of probe signal, "A", followed by a
second, "B". He's asked to rate them for enjoyment.

2. Karl enjoys A significantly more than he enjoys B. Karl *must* know,
at that point, that A and B are *not* the same. This is simple logic; if
AB = 1 (true), then A=B = 0 (false). This is the most basic form of a
truth table.

Possibly, Karl knows this only because he sees that he rated A a "7"
and B a "6." He does not necessarily, at the end of B, make a direct
mental comparison of the amounts of enjoyment. His knowledge that he
enjoys one more than the other depends upon his coding his enjoyment as
a rating, and comparing the ratings.

3. 1. Karl is presented with probe signal A, followed by B. He's asked
to determine if they are the same, or different. Barring stipulation of
intrusive test restrictions (re. listening times, manners, order of
presentation, time dista presentations, etc. - which *NO ONE* has
*ever* suggested here to my knowledge), Karl will evaluate the two,

Using the procedure of "rating them for enjoyment" as described above,
yes?

and will, as he has already demonstrated to be the case, enjoy A more than
B. Once again, the logic is irrefutable. If he enjoys one more than the
other, he *knows* they are not the same.

Yes, because the rating system enables him to know *that* he enjoys A
more than he enjoys B. But what are the chances that someone will
actually go about determining whether A and B are the same or different
in this way? Not high; why would a person even think of doing it that
way? It's more likely that they would compare the sounds and not think
about, or encode and keep track of the levels of, their enjoyment. But
unless Karl follows the procedure you outline, there is no assurance
that he will reliably discriminate between A and B even if he rates
them differently in the first test you describe. I am not saying that
there isn't *some* way of conducting a same/different judgment test
that would be equally sensitive as a ratings test (you have told us
what it is); I'm suggesting that a normally enacted same/different
judgment test might, for all we know, not be as sensitive, and so far I
haven't seen why that's wrong.

Patently, if you ask someone on consecutive mornings, what color tie
is this, he could answer "blue" both times, but not be able to tell
you, on the second day, that the ties were the same color (because on
the second day he doesn't remember what color he saw on the first).

Which is, again, irrelevant in the context you supposed. You showed the
same tie each day, he recognized Blue each day, and from that (for this
to be relevant to your Karl analogy), you presume could have "seen"
using two different mechanisms

I'm not assuming that two different mechanisms are involved. It could
be two instances of the same mechanism.

You absolutely are - in the context of the actual discussion. Otherwise
you would not think that the situations are 'psychologically different'.
Since the 'situation' cannot, in and of itself, be psychologically
different ("it" has no psyche, after all), you must be saying that the
situation elicits a different psychological response (i.e. different in
a mechanistic sense) from the subject.

I think we are getting mixed up between the two examples.
"Psychologically different" applies to the two tests example, "could be
two instances of the same mechanism" applies to the "blue--blue"
example.

on the *sole* basis that there's no
evidence that he didn't. This is simply looking for a cause with no
demonstrable effect in evidence. To call this skepticism is a misnomer.

If your view predicts otherwise, then it is psychologically
implausible.

Your view then is that Karl recognizing A as Blue, and B as Blue *does
not* mean that the perceptions were "the same, or similar"?

No, that's not my view. The perceptions are "the same, or similar."
But it doesn't follow from this that Karl can judge that A and B are
the same.

Again you ignore the context. Karl does not *necessarily* have to make
the determination that A and B are the same, but within the context of
the discussion, he *must*. He will be asked if they are the same or
different, forcing the comparison, and he will evaluate A vs. B, with
the result that A=blue, B=blue, therefore either A=B, or A~B. To refute
this you must assert that either Karl has *no* internal construct
containing the identification "Blue" against which Karl could associate
A and B, or that Karl has multiple constructs associated with "Blue"
(*not* shades of Blue, but Blue - that is the context) that he cannot
discriminate between, and about which he is unaware. Both cases are
implausible in the extreme.

Well, it sounds to me like you have just proved on the basis of your
theory that a person cannot fail to remember what they had for
breakfast, and that's open to a rapid reductio. Isn't it obvious that,
try as you like to "force the comparison," if he doesn't remember what
he saw yesterday then he can't reliably compare the things? Then he
can't judge them to be the same.

I'll ask you once more, since you are clearly loath to respond: Cite
*one* example, or *one* mechanism, whereby you can judge A to be
more/less/greater than/less than/more enjoyable than/less enjoyable
than, B without making a distinction, or differentiation between A and B.

Of course there is no such example,

Finally!

because judging that there is a
difference is a way of making a distinction.

No kidding. Thus enjoying A more than B is identifying difference, and a
distinction between A and B is established.

However, responding to A
one way and responding to B in a different way is not equivalent to
judging that A and B are different.

Of course it is.

Well, no, it isn't. The two things should not be identified with one
another.

We may as well make this an aural example. You and I both have perfect
pitch. On Tuesday morning you hear a pitch and say, "It's D." On
Wednesday morning you hear a pitch and say, "It's E." You are asked,
was it the same pitch both days? You say "No."

On Tuesday morning I hear a pitch and say, "It's D." On Wednesday
morning I hear a pitch and say, "It's E." I am asked, was it the same
pitch both days? I say, "I don't know because I don't remember what I
heard yesterday."

There is a psychological difference between us, one that is reflected
pretty clearly in our behavior. The main difference is that you can,
and do, judge that the pitches on the two days were different, whereas
I am unable to make such a judgment.

However, it is true to say of each of us that we responded to A one way
and responded to B in a different way.

Therefore responding to A one way and responding to B in a different
way is not equivalent to judging that A and B are different, since the
former is something I do but the latter is not.

And please forgo the "but if A was last year..."
hyperbole. Within the context of a properly constructed, time proximate
test, controlling for affective 'drift' in the subject, then a
differential response to A versus B *must* be the result of differential
perception. Other variables are controlled for. Appropriately
constructed interrogatories are part of a well constructed test, and it
would be relatively trivial to illicit a response of "different" from a
subject who clearly had differential perceptions of A and B.

Whether the subject *would* recognize the distinction, on his/her own,
under 'normal' circumstances, is irrelevant.
An integral part of any
test (the basic context after all) is the requirement for comparison,
forcing an evaluation of same/different. This is no different for blunt
Same/Different evaluation as for relative enjoyment, as a "level 5"
enjoyment of both A and B would elicit "same or similar", whereas a
'level 2' and a 'level 8' would elicit a response of "different". The
fact that 2 and 8 were assigned requires this to be the case.

OK. In general, how do you create a "properly constructed, time
proximate test" that forces a reliable same/different evaluation, if
what we are measuring, in the ratings test, is the subject's perception
of a temporally extended property of the signal? Comparing longer
excerpts will be prey to problems of memory. Suppose then we force
comparison of corresponding short portions of the signal in a
time-proximate way. How do we know that this will be sensitive to all
differences to which the ratings test is sensitive?

(In other words, there might be more than one sense in which a person
can be said to "make a distinction.")

Another irrelevancy. The key is to "make a distinction". Though there
may indeed be myriad ways to make a distinction, distinction=perceived
difference, as you just stated above.

I don't mean to quibble, but if for certain purposes or in certain
contexts the distinction between "differential response" and "judging
to be different" is not "relevant," or if it ends up that you always
have one where you have the other (in those restricted contexts),
that's one thing, but there is still a fundamental difference between
them. (And where there is a "perceived difference," things are judged
to be different; again, it's one *way* of making a distinction, it's
misleading to say "distinction=perceived difference" as you do above.)

There is an important psychological difference between the person who
is able to compare the contents of perceptions he enjoys at different
times and one who can't (as in the perfect pitch example above). That
difference is not "irrelevant" to psychology generally, even if it does
not arise, as I think you are saying, in the context of "properly
constructed tests." And if the discussion raises the question, "What
are the scope and limits of such tests?" then we can't know a priori
that such distinctions are irrelevant to the discussion.

Responding to A one way and responding to B another way is *not* the
same thing as judging that they are different; each of them is a
certain *way* of making a distinction. The terms should not be used
interchangeably, and it should not be assumed that they are the same
thing. At best, they coincide in the context of tests that are
constructed in a way that ensures that they do coincide (if I
understand you right). A distinction between them would not arise in
such contexts, just as "equilateral" and "equiangular" apply to the
same things when the discussion is restricted to triangles; though the
properties are distinct from one another, and do come apart when
applied to other figures.

The question of how the judgment of a similarity is related to
individual perceptions is one of the central questions that Kant wrote
about. The difference may tend not to arise in certain contexts
because of the way those contexts are designed, but that doesn't mean
they're the same thing.

Once a difference is perceived,
through whatever mechanism, or manner, one must be devoid of deductive
skill to be unable to apply the simple truth table, and determine
same=false, different=true.

The assumption that the person can recognize the identity between what
is contained in one perception and what is contained in another is a
substantive psychological assumption. People don't remember everything
they perceive, and they aren't logically omniscient. And not every
context is one of "properly constructed" testing. There is a lot of
idealization going on in your model of human abilities and behavior.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Keith Hughes wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

Keith Hughes wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:

You will agree that in most cases
in which a person hears a sound, the sound is perceived as having a
certain loudness. That is, on that occasion, for that listener, there
is a certain degree of loudness that the listener hears the sound as
having. (Loudness in this sense can be measured by psychologists, on
the phon scale for example. And by a degree of loudness I don't mean
a point with infinite exactitude; a fuzzy interval would do fine. No
measurement is exact.)

Suppose our friend Karl hears sound A, then a long string of random
noise, then sound B. There will be a degree of loudness he hears
sound A as having, call it x, and a degree of loudness he hears B as
having, call it y.

Now in a situation like this, if A and B are separated enough, it is
not unusual (yes?) for the subject not to be able to judge whether A
sounded louder than B, or B than A, or that they were the same. Let's
assume that that's the case with Karl. So his answer to the question
"Which, if either, sounded louder to you?" will be "I don't know" ...

How many times must I say the same thing for you to actually hear it
(metaphorically of course)??? Flawed test methdology = flawed data =
invalid test upon which no conclusion can be drawn. Got it?

In an earlier post, in response to my claim that "There is a difference
between something's being true (about Karl) and Karl's knowing it to be
true," you said, "No, there is not, not when Karls perception is the
subject at hand."[1] Here is an illustration of what I mean:

Either x and y (see above) are the same or they are different. If they
are the same, Karl doesn't know they are the same; hence, that they are
the same will be a fact about his perception he does not know to be
true.

Well, it is *NOT* "a fact about his perception" at all. It is a fact
(insofar as your stipulation of it is concerned) about an objectively
verifiable physical property - NOT Karl's perception of that property.

What we are talking about here is the degree of loudness Karl hears
each sound as having. So if the degree of loudness Karl hears sound A
as having is the same as the degree of loudness he hears B as having,
that is a statement that relates his perceptions to one another in a
certain way. It is a fact about his perception.

Again, for this to have relevance, you would have had to say "Karl
perceives them as the same, but doesn't know he perceives them the same,
so there is a fact about his perception that he doesn't know". Sounds
rather silly in the context of time-proximate presentations where Karl
is being asked to determine either preference, or same/different,
doesn't it?

Karl doesn't perceive them as the same. Rather, in the case at hand, x
is the same as y, where x and y are as defined above. Perhaps the
distinction between those two statements doesn't arise in certain
contexts, but there is no reason to generalize from such contexts to
others and thus to obviate a distinction that clearly exists.

If they are different, Karl doesn't know they are different;
hence, that they are different will be a fact about his perception he
does not know to be true. Either way, there will be some fact about
his perception he does not know to be true.

Same thing. You are assuming that Karl perceives all objective stimuli
accurately, with infinite precision. Here, you conflate physical reality
with perception.

Where on earth do I make that assumption? The example adverts to
perceived degrees of loudness from the very start. And about infinite
precision, I take pains to say (see above) that we don't have to
interpret degrees of loudness as points, but could regard them as
intervals.

Your statement "There is a difference between something's being true
(about Karl) and Karl's knowing it to be true," is equally flawed, in
that Karl can't have a perception without being aware of it. Since
Karl's conscious perception *is* the subject of your analogy, i.e. he is
participating in a *test* where *his perception* is the only variable of
interest, there is no "truth about Karl" that is relevant. The only
"something's being true" that is relevant, is what are Karl's conscious
perceptions relative to the test signals.

Relevant to what? If you don't accept the assumption that A has a
perceived loudness and that B has a perceived loudness, that's one
thing. But once you do, then it's just a fact of logic that they are
either the same or not the same. Whichever it is -- that they are the
same, or that they are not the same -- that will be a fact about Karl's
perception that he doesn't know to be true.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 2 Aug 2005 15:52:16 GMT, Mark DeBellis wrote:

Various things are said to be known. "How do you know?" is not a
reasonable question?

Thousands of lines of agonising about it, without ever trying to find
out for yourself, is indicative of ego over interest.

Thanks for the diagnosis.

apparently without
ever considering that it's very simple just to go try it for yourself.

Not sure I get you here. Try what? An ABX test? Not sure what a
single result would establish.

Nothing - that's why you should try 20 results.

OK, so I take 20 ABX tests and I can't tell SACD and CD apart in those
tests. We know what to infer from this without theory?

We know that, to you in that system, they sound the same.

If you are saying that a failure to distinguish in an ABX test implies
that in the context of normal listening there is no difference in the
perceptual information derived from the two sources, we do need theory
in order to know that to be true, and I'd be interested to know exactly
how we know that to be true.

No 'theory'
is required

Theory is always required. Data without a theory to interpret it is
meaningless. Otherwise why not just say, listen sighted and go with
what it tells you? It's theory that, rightly, backs you up when you
explain why sighted testing is unreliable.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

At least it's down to hundreds now. In an earlier post you had me at
thousands.

If x exists, then Karl will be able to listen both CD and SACD many
times, and will reliably report the presence of x at the end of each
performance via SACD.

Perhaps, if we know what question to ask, and if Karl is conscious of
x.

Suppose he does reliably report the presence of x in that way. Do we
know that if we conduct a different test, a quick-switch test where
Karl has to say if the two sources sound the same or different to him,
that he will reliably diferentiate them? If so, how do we know that?

The important thing is that Karl must not *know*
which medium is playing each time that he listens.

Yes, I agree that that's crucially important.

If Karl is unable to do this, then ipso facto x does *not* exist in
the physical soundfield,

Why should we think that? How do we know that if Karl perceives a
certain property of the signal, then he will be able to report that he
perceives that property? Does psychology assume that people are always
able to reliably report what they perceive? Wouldn't psychophysics be
a lot easier if that were true?

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Keith Hughes wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

[...]

*ever* suggested here to my knowledge), Karl will evaluate the two, and
will, as he has already demonstrated to be the case, enjoy A more than
B. Once again, the logic is irrefutable. If he enjoys one more than the
other, he *knows* they are not the same.

p.s. Let me try putting the question the other way round. If we were
seeking to determine whether Karl derives greater pleasure, blind, from
the SACD version of the song heard in its entirety than the CD version
heard in its entirety, and in particular to gain evidence that he
doesn't, what sort of test would be relevant? Clearly, you have given
an example of such a test, but would any sort of "same/different
judgment" test be adequate for this purpose if it *doesn't* incorporate
your suggestion that Karl "repeat *EXACTLY* what he did" in the
rating-of-enjoyment test?

Mark
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
[...]

Exciting is only one response, and probably not the proper one in many
situations. Music elicits many emotional responses...joy, sorrow,
melancholy, wistfulness, etc. Excitement per se is just one of them.
That's why if one is going to take measurements, it makes more sense to
monitor directly what is happening to the areas of the brain known to be
associated with emotions.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Aug 2005 15:20:28 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

That was then, this is now. Perhaps you are improving..........

If x exists, then Karl will be able to listen both CD and SACD many
times, and will reliably report the presence of x at the end of each
performance via SACD.

Perhaps, if we know what question to ask, and if Karl is conscious of
x.

Irrelevant. It's *your* postulation that Karl senses 'x', otherwise he
could not say that it is present.

Suppose he does reliably report the presence of x in that way. Do we
know that if we conduct a different test, a quick-switch test where
Karl has to say if the two sources sound the same or different to him,
that he will reliably diferentiate them? If so, how do we know that?

How do we know? We *test* him, of course, using the alternative
protocol. Have you forgotten that this is the entire premise of the
thread?

The important thing is that Karl must not *know*
which medium is playing each time that he listens.

Yes, I agree that that's crucially important.

Well, that's a start, I suppose.

If Karl is unable to do this, then ipso facto x does *not* exist in
the physical soundfield,

Why should we think that?

Because it is the logical conclusion.

How do we know that if Karl perceives a
certain property of the signal, then he will be able to report that he
perceives that property?

Because if he could not report it, he did not perceive it. I believe a
'duuh' should be inserted around here somewhere.

Does psychology assume that people are always
able to reliably report what they perceive? Wouldn't psychophysics be
a lot easier if that were true?

Psychology, if properly done, like any science, *assumes* nothing.
OTOH, psy is a notoriously 'soft' science, where nothing seems to be
truly certain, and certainly lacks significant evidence. It's a bit
like educational theories - they are as prolific as ani. And what the
heck is 'psychophysics'?

Stewart Pinkerton

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

No, we don't need theory. What we need is results from testing of
alternate methods. We have *lots* of those, and ABChr seems to be the
ultimate winner, but time-proximate ABX is a close second. Long-term
execises such as are often recommended by the 'subjectivists' don;t
seem to work in practice, while any kind of sighted test is
immediately thrown out due to massive expectation bias effects.

No 'theory'
is required

Theory is always required.

No, *facts* are required, *observations* are required, and
experimental *evidence* is required. Once you have those, you can then
hypothesise, and *test* your hypothesis against the experimental
results.

Data without a theory to interpret it is
meaningless. Otherwise why not just say, listen sighted and go with
what it tells you? It's theory that, rightly, backs you up when you
explain why sighted testing is unreliable.

No, it's the results of practical experiments which back you up.

_Dejan_

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

....snip...

And what the
heck is 'psychophysics'?

?!?
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/psychophysics

Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

You are entirely too modest.

If x exists, then Karl will be able to listen both CD and SACD many
times, and will reliably report the presence of x at the end of each
performance via SACD.

Perhaps, if we know what question to ask, and if Karl is conscious of
x.

Irrelevant. It's *your* postulation that Karl senses 'x', otherwise he
could not say that it is present.

Yes, if he doesn't perceive x then he won't be able to report it. But
that's not equivalent to what you said previously, which is the
inverse: if he does perceive x then he will be able to report it. And
why should that be the case? (See below.)

Suppose he does reliably report the presence of x in that way. Do we
know that if we conduct a different test, a quick-switch test where
Karl has to say if the two sources sound the same or different to him,
that he will reliably diferentiate them? If so, how do we know that?

How do we know? We *test* him, of course, using the alternative
protocol. Have you forgotten that this is the entire premise of the
thread?

OK, I am asking whether we have some theory that predicts that if Karl
reports a difference then the quick-switch test will also show a
difference.

If Karl is unable to do this, then ipso facto x does *not* exist in
the physical soundfield,

Why should we think that?

Because it is the logical conclusion.

What are the premises from which it follows as a matter of logic? I
mean deductively.

How do we know that if Karl perceives a
certain property of the signal, then he will be able to report that he
perceives that property?

Because if he could not report it, he did not perceive it. I believe a
'duuh' should be inserted around here somewhere.

What would you say about cognitive psychologists' theories of pitch
height and chroma (say), which they say listeners perceive; very few
people, if any, could *report* what they perceive in these terms. The
psychologists' route to knowing about them is far more circuitous than
through reliance on direct report.

Does psychology assume that people are always
able to reliably report what they perceive? Wouldn't psychophysics be
a lot easier if that were true?

Psychology, if properly done, like any science, *assumes* nothing.

Not sure what you mean by that.

OTOH, psy is a notoriously 'soft' science, where nothing seems to be
truly certain, and certainly lacks significant evidence.

That's unfortunate, because any claim about what audio tests tell us
about what people hear is basically a claim about, and relies on our
background knowledge of, human psychology.

It's a bit
like educational theories - they are as prolific as ani. And what the
heck is 'psychophysics'?

It's (part of) what's covered in the journal Perception and
Psychophysics.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 6 Aug 2005 15:19:45 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Theory is always required.

No, *facts* are required, *observations* are required, and
experimental *evidence* is required. Once you have those, you can then
hypothesise, and *test* your hypothesis against the experimental
results.

OK. Clearly you take a different view from that of many writers in the
philosophy of science, who argue that there is no such thing as
"theory-neutral" observation, e.g., N. R. Hanson and W. V. O. Quine. I
myself find that view pretty persuasive.

Mark
Harry Lavo

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 5 Aug 2005 00:34:12 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

snip, jump to relevant section to my comment

[...]

Why does that mathematician's comment at the HE2005 "debate" spring to
mind.....his comment that in his classes at MIT the engineers were always
separating themselves from the mathematicians and physicists by "jumping to
the end point" and failing to examine the underlying premises"?

Keith Hughes

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Keith Hughes wrote:

I'm not postulating that the mechanisms are totally different, only
observing that the testing situations are psychologically different in
significant respects.

No, you are not "observing" that the situations are significantly
different, you are hypothesizing, sans evidence, that there *could* be a
difference. Not at all the same thing.

First of all, I am observing that the two kinds of tests we are
discussing (rating and same/different judgment) ask different questions
of the subject, or request him/her to perform different tasks. They
are different situations from a psychological standpoint.

I understand that you are *asserting* that to be the case. To be true,
one has to accept that a subject can be able to enjoy A more than B
without being able to make a conclusion about same/difference. I believe
that I have describe, in detail, why I find this totally implausible.

Second, for something to be presented as a hypothesis does not mean
that it is asserted to be true, or that the person presenting it says
he knows is true. A hypothesis is something "submitted for your
consideration," a la Rod Serling.

An hypothesis is typically an explanation of observed phenomena, or a
set of assumptions to be tested by observation. An hypothesis must also,
to have any rigor, be falsifiable. Your 'hypothesis' is found wanting
against these criteria.

You have been arguing that I can't
know that certain things are true. But I haven't been claiming to know
that those things are true.(*)

No, you have been postulating non-verifiable, non-falsifiable, and
non-observable mechanisms to generate doubt about all existing test
methodologies.

Rather, I am asking what evidence there
is, if any, that they're false. (If we don't know that they're false,
then, for all we know, they could be true.)

Good lord man, is this really your position? That anything is possible
as long as we can't *prove* that it isn't?

Whether I have evidence for the hypothesis is relevant only if I am
asserting it to be true. I do not have to already know it's true, or
claim to know it's true, in order to ask what evidence there is for it,
pro or con.

If the hypothesis is not falsifiable, by its very construction, it is a
"position", or "belief", not an hypothesis.

I mean, really. I am saying, what if? What if such and such were
true? Would it show up on the tests?

Come, now...you were not saying "what if", you were using an analogy to
support what is obviously your opinion that the "typical" audio test
methods are deficient.

If you want to tell me *why*
such and such can't be true, or why it *would* show up on the tests,
great. But you seem to be saying that you've resolved the matter when
you say that I've put the idea forward without having sufficient
evidence that it's true. It's a hypothetical question.

Again, I have been trying to explain why, IMO, your *analogy* is not
relevant, for the myriad reasons discussed, in the context of supporting
your position. That is the only matter I'm saying is resolved (to my
mind obviously).

snip

I'm unsure how you can be missing this point. Let's take it one step at
a time:

1. Karl is presented with some form of probe signal, "A", followed by a
second, "B". He's asked to rate them for enjoyment.

2. Karl enjoys A significantly more than he enjoys B. Karl *must* know,
at that point, that A and B are *not* the same. This is simple logic; if
AB = 1 (true), then A=B = 0 (false). This is the most basic form of a
truth table.

Possibly, Karl knows this only because he sees that he rated A a "7"
and B a "6."

He doesn't *see* it, he *does* it. That's what the test is. I notice
you also use "6" and "7" presumably to imply small, subtle differences.
Another defect in this type of test - resolution. You need a very large
sample size, under controlled conditions, from each subject, to estimate
the precision of the test.

He does not necessarily, at the end of B, make a direct
mental comparison of the amounts of enjoyment. His knowledge that he
enjoys one more than the other depends upon his coding his enjoyment as
a rating, and comparing the ratings.

Well, you never tire of trying this contextual obfuscation do you? The
test *requires* him to make these comparisons, yet you keep wanting to
talk about what "might" be if it weren't a test, and extrapolate that to
support the idea that the same mechanism exists within the context of
the test. There *is* no "what if he doesn't compare" within the context
of a test for which comparison is the basis.

3. 1. Karl is presented with probe signal A, followed by B. He's asked
to determine if they are the same, or different. Barring stipulation of
intrusive test restrictions (re. listening times, manners, order of
presentation, time dista presentations, etc. - which *NO ONE* has
*ever* suggested here to my knowledge), Karl will evaluate the two,

Using the procedure of "rating them for enjoyment" as described above,
yes?

Yes, as a matter of course.

and will, as he has already demonstrated to be the case, enjoy A more than
B. Once again, the logic is irrefutable. If he enjoys one more than the
other, he *knows* they are not the same.

Yes, because the rating system enables him to know *that* he enjoys A
more than he enjoys B. But what are the chances that someone will
actually go about determining whether A and B are the same or different
in this way? Not high;

They don't need to "go about" comparing that way, its part of everyday
perception. Do you only enjoy something if you're being asked to rate
it? Do you need a pencil and paper to remember what you like better?

why would a person even think of doing it that
way?

They would have to think about *not* doing it that way, to some extent,
to not let their enjoyment or satisfaction become part of their
perception. You think my view mechanistic, yet you seem to think
perception is defined by a series of subroutines that are exclusive, and
do not execute concurrently.

It's more likely that they would compare the sounds and not think
about, or encode and keep track of the levels of, their enjoyment. But
unless Karl follows the procedure you outline,

It is not a *procedure*, it is a recognition of normal perception. It is
your proposition that enjoyment can *ONLY* be a factor in a ratings
test, which is patently ridiculous.

there is no assurance
that he will reliably discriminate between A and B even if he rates
them differently in the first test you describe.

There is every assurance that statistically valid discrimination in the
first test will result in the ability to discriminate in a
same/difference test. You are trying hard to find ways to
compartmentalize perception such that there can be no overlap in the
perceptual mechanisms involved in various forms of audio presentation.
Where's the evidence that such is the case?

I am not saying that
there isn't *some* way of conducting a same/different judgment test
that would be equally sensitive as a ratings test (you have told us
what it is); I'm suggesting that a normally enacted same/different
judgment test might, for all we know, not be as sensitive, and so far I
haven't seen why that's wrong.

The same argument is just as valid for assuming that we're descended
from space aliens. Just a matter of degree. Hence the falsifiability
requirement for a true hypothesis.

[...]

No confusion on my part...I'm saying that for the two test examples to
be psychologically different *within the context of the test parameters*
would require that the perceptual mechanisms employed must be different.

Well, it sounds to me like you have just proved on the basis of your
theory that a person cannot fail to remember what they had for
breakfast, and that's open to a rapid reductio. Isn't it obvious that,
try as you like to "force the comparison," if he doesn't remember what
he saw yesterday then he can't reliably compare the things? Then he
can't judge them to be the same.

Clearly you ignored the "Again you ignore the context" admonition,
because again we have the "but what if he forgot" hyperbole. An example
where Karl cannot judge same/difference between what he heard 50 years
ago and what he heard today has *zero* relevance to the discussion.

snip

However, responding to A
one way and responding to B in a different way is not equivalent to
judging that A and B are different.

Of course it is.

Well, no, it isn't. The two things should not be identified with one
another.

We may as well make this an aural example. You and I both have perfect
pitch. On Tuesday morning you hear a pitch and say, "It's D." On
Wednesday morning you hear a pitch and say, "It's E." You are asked,
was it the same pitch both days? You say "No."

On Tuesday morning I hear a pitch and say, "It's D." On Wednesday
morning I hear a pitch and say, "It's E." I am asked, was it the same
pitch both days? I say, "I don't know because I don't remember what I
heard yesterday."

Again, and analogy based on a supposition that has no place in any well
designed test. As we've discussed at length.

There is a psychological difference between us, one that is reflected
pretty clearly in our behavior. The main difference is that you can,
and do, judge that the pitches on the two days were different, whereas
I am unable to make such a judgment.

You clearly do not understand what a test is, and concomitant data
analysis methodology. "I don't know, I can't remember yesterday" is a
non-response. It is a clear indication of either a flawed methodolgy, or
an unsuitable subject. Whereas the inability to discriminate a
difference in a time-proximate test presentation, *is* indicative of
actual perceptual performance.

However, it is true to say of each of us that we responded to A one way
and responded to B in a different way.

And, of course, reminding you that yesterday you identified the sound as
"D" would clearly allow you to make a determination of "different".
Hence the analogy (the original Blue analogy) fails, since there is an
internal construct against which you've already made an identification,
and you *MUST* forget for you not to be able to make a distinction. Do
you fail to see how contrived this is?

Therefore responding to A one way and responding to B in a different
way is not equivalent to judging that A and B are different, since the
former is something I do but the latter is not.

If you ignore context, and impose an implausible range of constraints.

snip

OK. In general, how do you create a "properly constructed, time
proximate test" that forces a reliable same/different evaluation, if
what we are measuring, in the ratings test, is the subject's perception
of a temporally extended property of the signal?

You presuppose that such exists. As I've stated to Mr. Lavo on occasion,
you need only do a level matched, blind, test. Do it *any* way you want,
subject to the listed constraints, and do a sufficient number of trials
to get a statistically valid result. If you cannot differentiate, you
have no observation on which to form an hypothesis. To say "well, all my
listening says they sound the same, and analysis of the engineering
behind the articles/recordings/etc. indicate that relative to the
established thresholds of human hearing, they should sound the same, but
maybe they don't...I better speculate on what could be causing these
results", hardly even rises to the level of speculation.

Comparing longer
excerpts will be prey to problems of memory.

Yes, that's why it isn't done by serious people.

Suppose then we force
comparison of corresponding short portions of the signal in a
time-proximate way. How do we know that this will be sensitive to all
differences to which the ratings test is sensitive?

How do we know it is sensitive to all the difference that we imagine
might be there? That we have never observed? That there's absolutely no
basis for supposing? The germane question is "why would we care?". Only
in the presence of contravening data would the question have merit.

(In other words, there might be more than one sense in which a person
can be said to "make a distinction.")

Another irrelevancy. The key is to "make a distinction". Though there
may indeed be myriad ways to make a distinction, distinction=perceived
difference, as you just stated above.

I don't mean to quibble, but if for certain purposes or in certain
contexts the distinction between "differential response" and "judging
to be different" is not "relevant," or if it ends up that you always
have one where you have the other (in those restricted contexts),
that's one thing, but there is still a fundamental difference between
them. (And where there is a "perceived difference," things are judged
to be different; again, it's one *way* of making a distinction, it's
misleading to say "distinction=perceived difference" as you do above.)

Only out of the context of the test. Why must you always equivocate with
"for certain purposes" or "certain contexts"? We're only talking about
one context.

There is an important psychological difference between the person who
is able to compare the contents of perceptions he enjoys at different
times and one who can't (as in the perfect pitch example above).

Which is irrelevant, as discussed above.

That
difference is not "irrelevant" to psychology generally,

Which we are not adressing or discussing.

even if it does
not arise, as I think you are saying, in the context of "properly
constructed tests." And if the discussion raises the question, "What
are the scope and limits of such tests?" then we can't know a priori
that such distinctions are irrelevant to the discussion.

Clearly we can. That's what occurs in test construction. That is what
controlling for extraneous variables is all about. If relying on long
term memory is not efficacious, for example, then we exclude that from
the test method.

[...]

The responses are the same if the context is controlled, and the
boundaries constrained...the situation under discussion. Whether an
abstraction can be imagined in which the difference is intrusive is
irrelevant.

Once a difference is perceived,
through whatever mechanism, or manner, one must be devoid of deductive
skill to be unable to apply the simple truth table, and determine
same=false, different=true.

The assumption that the person can recognize the identity between what
is contained in one perception and what is contained in another is a
substantive psychological assumption. People don't remember everything
they perceive, and they aren't logically omniscient. And not every
context is one of "properly constructed" testing. There is a lot of
idealization going on in your model of human abilities and behavior.

No, my "model" is based on objectively verifiable phenomena, and
behavior. Your "model" is based on the assumption that if we are not
omniscient, we know nothing for certain. That if we do not fully and
completely understand every nuance of how a perception is generated,
that applying statistical interpretations of the objective results of
perception are of no use, because they cannot *prove* that there are,
and can be, no other interpretations. Fine for philosophical ponderings,
inimical to observational science.

Sorry, but I fail to see any value to either of us in continuing this
discussion. And, as I have too many protocols to write, and reams of
data to analyze, I'll bid you adieu with this post.

Keith Hughes

Harry Lavo wrote:

Why does that mathematician's comment at the HE2005 "debate" spring to
mind.....his comment that in his classes at MIT the engineers were always
separating themselves from the mathematicians and physicists by "jumping to
the end point" and failing to examine the underlying premises"?

Using the word "always" in this context is hyperbole.

Is he "always" correct just because he is a mathematician?
Keith Hughes

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

snip

Data without a theory to interpret it is
meaningless. Otherwise why not just say, listen sighted and go with
what it tells you? It's theory that, rightly, backs you up when you
explain why sighted testing is unreliable.

No, it's the results of practical experiments which back you up.

Why does that mathematician's comment at the HE2005 "debate" spring to
mind.....his comment that in his classes at MIT the engineers were always
separating themselves from the mathematicians and physicists by "jumping to
the end point" and failing to examine the underlying premises"?

Because that statement is about the difference between theory and
practice. Very similar to the difference between Newtonian and Quantum
mechanics. Newtonian physics are *facts*, and reflect the results
observable in the macro world. Properly applied Newtonian physics will
allow you to predict exactly what will happen in the macro world. It is
not *relavent* to the macro world that the underpinnings of the physics
and mathematics employed may comprise many mechanistic or probablistic
component effects that are not completely delineated. Certainly, that is
not to say that investigation into the micro-level effects is not
interesting, or illuminating. Neither you nor I understand gravity at
the most fundamental level, but clearly we can measure the acceleration
due to gravity, and we can can calculate, with 100% certainty, what the
effects of that acceleration will be (given that we understand the other
macro effects in the specific case of interest).

Keith Hughes
Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Aug 2005 20:34:31 GMT, "_Dejan_" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message

...snip...

And what the
heck is 'psychophysics'?

?!?
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/psychophysics

Ah, OK, I know the subject, but wasn't familiar with the term.
Certainly, when I studied Psy at Aberdeen Uni back in the '60s, it
wasn't a term in common use. Agreed that it's relevant to audio.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Aug 2005 20:35:21 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 6 Aug 2005 15:20:28 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Suppose he does reliably report the presence of x in that way. Do we
know that if we conduct a different test, a quick-switch test where
Karl has to say if the two sources sound the same or different to him,
that he will reliably diferentiate them? If so, how do we know that?

How do we know? We *test* him, of course, using the alternative
protocol. Have you forgotten that this is the entire premise of the
thread?

OK, I am asking whether we have some theory that predicts that if Karl
reports a difference then the quick-switch test will also show a
difference.

We don't have 'a theory', we have hundreds of DBTs performed every day
by major audio manufacturers. Over many decades of research by
psychoacousticians, quick-switched short-term tests have *proven* to
be the most sensitive for the differentiation of small, but *real*,
acoustic differences.

To be precise, ABChr is currently considered to be the ultimate DBT,
and is the basic model used by those developing advanced lossy
compression codecs such as AAC and MP3.

If Karl is unable to do this, then ipso facto x does *not* exist in
the physical soundfield,

Why should we think that?

Because it is the logical conclusion.

What are the premises from which it follows as a matter of logic? I
mean deductively.

If he does not sense it, it is *by definition* not audible, and he
canbnot report it. That he might not *report* a difference that he did
sense, would be perverse.

In case there was some ambiguity in my earlier statement, there are of
course many *measurable* differences in the physical soundfield which
are below audibility.

How do we know that if Karl perceives a
certain property of the signal, then he will be able to report that he
perceives that property?

Because if he could not report it, he did not perceive it. I believe a
'duuh' should be inserted around here somewhere.

What would you say about cognitive psychologists' theories of pitch
height and chroma (say), which they say listeners perceive; very few
people, if any, could *report* what they perceive in these terms. The
psychologists' route to knowing about them is far more circuitous than
through reliance on direct report.

What psycholigists say people perceive, tends to drift with time.....

Does psychology assume that people are always
able to reliably report what they perceive? Wouldn't psychophysics be
a lot easier if that were true?

Psychology, if properly done, like any science, *assumes* nothing.

Not sure what you mean by that.

Read it again. Science does not assume - but is psychology a true
science?

OTOH, psy is a notoriously 'soft' science, where nothing seems to be
truly certain, and certainly lacks significant evidence.

That's unfortunate, because any claim about what audio tests tell us
about what people hear is basically a claim about, and relies on our
background knowledge of, human psychology.

OTOH, it's easy to *demonstrate* that sighted listening is useless for
differentiating amall acoustic differences, withoiut calling upon any
psychological theories.

It's a bit
like educational theories - they are as prolific as ani. And what the
heck is 'psychophysics'?

It's (part of) what's covered in the journal Perception and
Psychophysics.

Indeed so. I was not previously familiar with the term, but it is of
course relevant to audio.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 6 Aug 2005 20:35:44 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 6 Aug 2005 15:19:45 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Theory is always required.

No, *facts* are required, *observations* are required, and
experimental *evidence* is required. Once you have those, you can then
hypothesise, and *test* your hypothesis against the experimental
results.

OK. Clearly you take a different view from that of many writers in the
philosophy of science, who argue that there is no such thing as
"theory-neutral" observation, e.g., N. R. Hanson and W. V. O. Quine. I
myself find that view pretty persuasive.

I have no overt interest in the philosophy of Science, only in its
practical implementation.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 7 Aug 2005 01:37:04 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On 6 Aug 2005 15:19:45 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Data without a theory to interpret it is
meaningless. Otherwise why not just say, listen sighted and go with
what it tells you? It's theory that, rightly, backs you up when you
explain why sighted testing is unreliable.

No, it's the results of practical experiments which back you up.

Why does that mathematician's comment at the HE2005 "debate" spring to
mind.....his comment that in his classes at MIT the engineers were always
separating themselves from the mathematicians and physicists by "jumping to
the end point" and failing to examine the underlying premises"?

Indeed - that's why engineers get things done, while the
mathematicians are still worrying about the origin of that strange
fourth-order term. The engineer simply shrugs and adds another 3%
safety margin.

Harry Lavo wrote:

Exciting is only one response, and probably not the proper one in many
situations. Music elicits many emotional responses...joy, sorrow,
melancholy, wistfulness, etc. Excitement per se is just one of them.
That's why if one is going to take measurements, it makes more sense to
monitor directly what is happening to the areas of the brain known to be
associated with emotions.

Yes, certainly, the hell with listening. Who needs it?

;-(

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

Why does that mathematician's comment at the HE2005 "debate" spring to
mind.....his comment that in his classes at MIT the engineers were always
separating themselves from the mathematicians and physicists by "jumping to
the end point" and failing to examine the underlying premises"?

Indeed - that's why engineers get things done, while the
mathematicians are still worrying about the origin of that strange
fourth-order term. The engineer simply shrugs and adds another 3%
safety margin.

It's also why they build things from time to time that break or don't
work. Demands of the practical world force compromise on folks with
deadlines and budgets. I just don't understand the blanket denial of
this slop built into real world applications of theoretical ideals.

Scott Wheeler
Steven Sullivan

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 6 Aug 2005 15:19:45 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Theory is always required.

No, *facts* are required, *observations* are required, and
experimental *evidence* is required. Once you have those, you can then
hypothesise, and *test* your hypothesis against the experimental
results.

OK. Clearly you take a different view from that of many writers in the
philosophy of science, who argue that there is no such thing as
"theory-neutral" observation, e.g., N. R. Hanson and W. V. O. Quine. I
myself find that view pretty persuasive.

I have no overt interest in the philosophy of Science, only in its
practical implementation.

The two ton gorilla in the room that any philosopehr who asserts that
facts are merely social constructs is that stuff based on scientific reasoning
*works*. It can't be mere chance that the technology developed by
science and engineering actually does what it's intended to do.

DBTs *work*. And they don't always give the answer that's *desired*.
Certainly scientists' pet theories don't always turn out to be true, either.
So what would it matter
to the endless self-correcting nature of science , if observations weren't
ever 'theory neutral'? The ones that are *wrong* will find themselves
at odds with the rest of the data eventually. That hasn't happened with
DBTs.

--

-S
"You know what love really is? It's like you've swallowed a great big

Steven Sullivan wrote:
The two ton gorilla in the room that any philosopehr who asserts that
facts are merely social constructs is that stuff based on scientific reasoning
*works*. It can't be mere chance that the technology developed by
science and engineering actually does what it's intended to do.

It obviously isn't mere chance but it obviously is an on going
proccess.

DBTs *work*.

No,all else being equal they work better. They don't *always* work
though.

And they don't always give the answer that's *desired*.

I agree. Interesting that some objectivists tend to reject such tests
out of hand while not applying any standards of rigor to reported tests
that give desired answers. It's not real science when that happens.

Certainly scientists' pet theories don't always turn out to be true, either.
So what would it matter
to the endless self-correcting nature of science , if observations weren't
ever 'theory neutral'? The ones that are *wrong* will find themselves
at odds with the rest of the data eventually. That hasn't happened with
DBTs.

Really? Every dbt in the history of science has yielded correct data? I
think not.

Scott Wheeler
Mark DeBellis

Keith Hughes wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

Comparing longer
excerpts will be prey to problems of memory.

Yes, that's why it isn't done by serious people.

p.s. It's avoided precisely *because* the judgment of
similarity/difference does not track similarity/difference of
perception in such a case, yes? This is why we should not run the two
concepts together. We have to make the distinction in order to
understand why the methodological constraint is adopted in the first
place.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 6 Aug 2005 15:19:45 GMT, "Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Theory is always required.

No, *facts* are required, *observations* are required, and
experimental *evidence* is required. Once you have those, you can then
hypothesise, and *test* your hypothesis against the experimental
results.

OK. Clearly you take a different view from that of many writers in the
philosophy of science, who argue that there is no such thing as
"theory-neutral" observation, e.g., N. R. Hanson and W. V. O. Quine. I
myself find that view pretty persuasive.

I have no overt interest in the philosophy of Science, only in its
practical implementation.

Fair enough, but the question of how theory and observation are related
is, after all, a central issue in the philosophy of science.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

OK, so if we want to measure the perception of signals that occupy a
span of time, like a musical passage, i.e., temporally extended sounds
or sequences of sounds, you are saying DBTs work. In particular,
quick-switch same/different judgment tests work. And they are better
the shorter the snippets are that are compared, yes?

What does "work" mean here? How do we know that they work? Why do
they work?

Suppose I think that "DBTs work" means this: for any property x, if I
perceive passage A as having property x, but do not perceive passage B
as having property x, then I will be able to differentiate A and B in
the quick-switch same/different judgment test. Is there some
scientific explanation of why DBTs work (assuming it is true)? Or is
it just a brute fact that they work, not something that can be
explained?

I mean, I think it's kind of remarkable that they work, if they do.
Things could have been otherwise. It could have been that continuous
exposure to an ultrasonic signal for 10 seconds would give a person a
headache. Suppose I were to compare that with silence in a
quick-switch test, and only compared short snippets. Then I wouldn't
hear a difference in the test. But the perceptual effect of listening
to the 10-second ultrasonic passage would be different from that of
listening to 10 seconds of silence. (A failure of supervenience; the
example substitutes sensation for perception but it's the same basic
idea.)

Of course, I have no idea whether there is a type of ultrasonic sound
with the property I am describing. But if there isn't, then it just
seems like it's a matter of good fortune that things turned out the way
they did. DBTs work, but it's entirely contingent that they do. Seems
we should expect more than that.

In other words, I don't see why they *should* work. Maybe that's the
kind of explanation I'm asking for.

About the idea that "facts are merely social constructs," I don't think
that philosophers who say that observations are "theory-laden" are
necessarily saying that. Most philosophers are pretty sensible.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

OK, good point, thanks.

To be precise, ABChr is currently considered to be the ultimate DBT,
and is the basic model used by those developing advanced lossy
compression codecs such as AAC and MP3.

If Karl is unable to do this, then ipso facto x does *not* exist in
the physical soundfield,

Why should we think that?

Because it is the logical conclusion.

What are the premises from which it follows as a matter of logic? I
mean deductively.

If he does not sense it, it is *by definition* not audible, and he
canbnot report it. That he might not *report* a difference that he did
sense, would be perverse.

In the above, x is a property, not a difference. The question is
whether if he perceives the property x he would be able to report the
presence of x, not whether if he perceives a difference he would be
able to report a difference. (The perception of a difference is not
the same as a difference between perceptions.)

In case there was some ambiguity in my earlier statement, there are of
course many *measurable* differences in the physical soundfield which
are below audibility.

How do we know that if Karl perceives a
certain property of the signal, then he will be able to report that he
perceives that property?

Because if he could not report it, he did not perceive it. I believe a
'duuh' should be inserted around here somewhere.

What would you say about cognitive psychologists' theories of pitch
height and chroma (say), which they say listeners perceive; very few
people, if any, could *report* what they perceive in these terms. The
psychologists' route to knowing about them is far more circuitous than
through reliance on direct report.

What psycholigists say people perceive, tends to drift with time.....

Well, if what they say implies that people are not always able to
report what they perceive, and you say people are always able to report
what they perceive, I'm going to believe the psychologists.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
[...]

p.s. What are those DBTs compared *with*, in order to show that they
are more sensitive? Is the comparison systematic or anecdotal?

If there is a large body of research on this, then if you or anyone
could point me to a survey article, or a representative study say, I'd
appreciate it.

I can find it pretty plausible that what's been observed indicates that
if Karl has a word in his language for property x and can reliably
report it on the instances where he detects it, then he'll also
discriminate it in a DBT. It's not so evident to me, though, how we
know that if there's a subtler, statistical difference on a ratings
test then it'll show up on the DBT. Hence my request to point me to
the relevant research, thanks.

About theory again ... whenever we start talking about interpretation
or evaluating the significance of data, that's theory. So whenever we
take past data as having some implication for what we will see in the
future, that's theory (cf. Hume). It's theory that tells us what
aspects of observed situations should be projected to other times or
places (Goodman). When you say something has been "proven" to be the
"most sensitive," you're not just reporting raw data, or even simply
comparing data, but interpreting it and (implicitly) making predictions
about the future, yes? That's theory.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Keith Hughes wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

Rather, I am asking what evidence there
is, if any, that they're false. (If we don't know that they're false,
then, for all we know, they could be true.)

Good lord man, is this really your position? That anything is possible
as long as we can't *prove* that it isn't?

p.s. Since you asked, "possible" can mean (1) it isn't excluded by
what we know, i.e., for all we know, it could be true; call this
"epistemically" possible; (2) physically or scientifically possible,
i.e., consistent with the laws or principles of physics or other
science (including laws we haven't yet discovered). No, I don't think
that (1) implies (2).

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Steven Sullivan wrote:

The two ton gorilla in the room that any philosopehr who asserts that
facts are merely social constructs is that stuff based on scientific reasoning
*works*. It can't be mere chance that the technology developed by
science and engineering actually does what it's intended to do.

DBTs *work*.

p.s. If DBTs work, then the fact that they work depends on certain
things in psychology being true, and it is interesting to think what
they must be.

For instance, a short-comparison test will work, or be most sensitive,
only if a masking effect does not fade over the course of a long,
constant signal. If it did, then the perceptual effect of longer
signals would not be predicted by the comparison of short snippets.
Yes?

Mark
Harry Lavo

wrote in message ...
Harry Lavo wrote:

Why does that mathematician's comment at the HE2005 "debate" spring to
mind.....his comment that in his classes at MIT the engineers were

always
separating themselves from the mathematicians and physicists by "jumping

the end point" and failing to examine the underlying premises"?

Using the word "always" in this context is hyperbole.

Is he "always" correct just because he is a mathematician?

That was pretty much what he said. I'm just reporting it.