Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Aug 2005 00:44:28 GMT, "Mark DeBellis"
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 12 Aug 2005 23:39:32 GMT, "Mark DeBellis"
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

If Karl senses that A
possesses x, and that B does not possess x, then he can tell that they
are different. QED.

If what you were saying were true, then why would time-distal testing
be unreliable?

It's not unreliable, it's less sensitive to very small changes.

But that illustrates the point. If you can tell A and B apart in a
time-proximate presentation but not a time-distal one, then, in the
latter, you are perceiving different things but aren't able to tell
*that* they're different.

No Mark, you miss the point. In time-distal listening, your
sensitivity to difference is reduced, so you are *not* perceiving
things differently, your threshold of perception has moved.

No one pretends that at some level, the two events are not different
in some way, the question is whether they are *audibly* different.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 19 Aug 2005 22:22:04 GMT, wrote:

Stewart:

Claiming that cables sound different to a listener is, unfortunately
for you, NOT an 'extraordinary' claim. As I said before, it MAY be
false (it remains to be seen), but not every false claim is
extraordinary.

You can repeat this as often as you like - it will still be rubbish.

It is false to claim that I can run my car on lemon juice. It is false,
easily disproven, and ridiculous, but NOT extraordinary. It calls on no
unknown or unknowable forces or factors.

Of course it does, since lemon juice is not flammable. You don't even
seem to understand the meaning of an extraordinary claim.

The history of science is full of people who made claims that appeared
to be incedible but later turned out to be true. Think of Pasteur, who
claimed that microbes caused disease. He was scoffed at.

Not universally, by any means. And of course he was able to *prove*
that he was right. Sound familiar?

http://www.varchive.org/ce/accept.htm

http://www.columbia.edu/~xs23/reject.htm

Think of Alfred Wegener and continental drift.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/wegener.html

http://skepdic.com/refuge/altscience.html

Skepticism is all well and good. I am a skeptic, too.

One of the reasons that Alfred Wegener's ideas were rejected was that
there was 'no known mechanism' by which the continents could be moved.
Does that ring a bell?

That's why he had to come up with extraordinary proof of his claims.
Does that ring a bell?

But any schoolboy will notice that the Eastern outline of South America
and Western outline of Africa match almost perfectly...

The evidence is right before our eyes when we look at the map.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_drift
http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/tectonics/pangaeabig.gif
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:S...fossil_map.gif

Those who experienced that cables sound different to them do not (I
hope!) ascribe the causes to some mystic source, but simply some as of
yet undiscovered mechanism, just like Alfred Wegener did.

However, unlike Wegener, they have totally failed to provide *any*
evidence in supprt of their wild claims. Sometimes people get laughed
at because their ideas really are laughable - as with the fiction of
'cable sound'.

You have seem to have totally failed to understand the true meaning of
the skep.dic passage which you cited.

Those who experienced that cables sound different to them do not (I
hope!) ascribe the causes to some mystic source, but simply some as of
yet undiscovered mechanism, just like Alfred Wegener did.

Except that, in the case of cables, we don't need to find some
undiscovered mechanism, because we already have a well-established
mechanism. It's called expectation bias.

There is a principle in philosophy or science called parsimony or
Occam's razor. It is usually undertsood to mean that a more complex
explanation is unlikley to be true when a simpler one will do the job.
The simpler explanation is that the cables are the cause. 'Expectation
bias' is less likely to be true, then.

That's what makes yours an extraordinary claim. There is a
well-established scientific explanation, and you claim that explanation
is wrong. That is extraordinary.

No, not at all. Your 'expectation bias' is far more ephemeral and
difficult to prove.

BTW, don't forget that the burden of proof rested on Wegener, because
he too was making what was, in its time, an extraordinary claim.

No, it was not 'extraordinary'. You don't understand what an
'extraordinary claim' is. He did not claim that he had raised his
grandfather from the dead, or that he had been abducted by aliens. He
simply made the assertion that the continents had moved, and any
schoolboy (as I did) would have to be blind not to notice that the
continents fit together like a puzzle. He was wrong about WHY, but not
THAT the continents had moved.

Similarly, the burden in the cable case rests on those who argue that
some mechanism other than expectation bias is at work.

No, the burden is on you.

The big difference between the cable believers and Wegener is that
Wegener was offering a hypothesis to explain some otherwise
unexplainable data.

His hypothesis was wrong about the WHY. Does that invalidate his claim?

In the case of cables, there is at present no
unexplainable data. When you find some, let us know.

I can hear the difference between $50 Monster Cable interconnect and
$100 Monster Cable interconnect.

bob

Don Pearce

On 21 Aug 2005 15:33:22 GMT, Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

However, unlike Wegener, they have totally failed to provide *any*
evidence in supprt of their wild claims. Sometimes people get laughed
at because their ideas really are laughable - as with the fiction of
'cable sound'.

You have seem to have totally failed to understand the true meaning of
the skep.dic passage which you cited.

You seem to be failing to understand his logical process here Stewart.
Here's how it runs:

Since some unlikely things have subsequently proved to be true, then
anything unlikely is certainly true. In fact if it is plain impossible,
then it must be indisputable fact.

Corollary - in order to be true, it must be unlikely.

Now about the moon being made of cheese...

There is a principle in philosophy or science called parsimony or
Occam's razor. It is usually undertsood to mean that a more complex
explanation is unlikley to be true when a simpler one will do the job.
The simpler explanation is that the cables are the cause.

That's not an explanation at all. That's a hypothesis.

It's as much of an explanation as your invocation of 'expectation
bias'. Even if 'expectation bias' exists, it STILL can be true that
cables can sound different. You have to prove that 'expectation bias'
is the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation, and this you have not done. This is a
logical flaw in your argument.

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days. You must account for that through some psychological
mechanism. It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time, when the alternative explanation (the cables are the cause) is
more likely to provide such consistency. tghere is in science a
principle called 'similar causes produce similar effects', which means
that something known to produce a gven effect in one condition should
produce the same or similar effects in another similar situation. Acid,
when poured over flesh, can always be expected to bring about damage
through the same mechanism. We don't expect it to be benign one time
and harmful the next. It would be quite a feat to explain similar
results over many trials invoking purely psychological causes.

Don Pearce wrote:
On 21 Aug 2005 15:33:22 GMT, Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

However, unlike Wegener, they have totally failed to provide *any*
evidence in supprt of their wild claims. Sometimes people get laughed
at because their ideas really are laughable - as with the fiction of
'cable sound'.

You have seem to have totally failed to understand the true meaning of
the skep.dic passage which you cited.

You seem to be failing to understand his logical process here Stewart.
Here's how it runs:

Since some unlikely things have subsequently proved to be true, then
anything unlikely is certainly true.

It is not a question of 'unlilely' but rather of 'extraordinary'.
Unlikely things happen all the time. The conecption of each of us is
highly unlikely, but not extraordinary in the least. Any given sperm
has a one in 10-million chance of fertilizing an egg, but there are so
many of them in a given ejaculation that fertilization by one or
another of them is probable. Consider also how many people there are in
the world alive at the same time and of breeding age. The chances that
you would be born and that you would be who you are (genetically) are
one in billions.

In fact if it is plain impossible,
then it must be indisputable fact.

Corollary - in order to be true, it must be unlikely.

Now about the moon being made of cheese...

There is a principle in philosophy or science called parsimony or
Occam's razor. It is usually undertsood to mean that a more complex
explanation is unlikley to be true when a simpler one will do the job.
The simpler explanation is that the cables are the cause.

That's not an explanation at all. That's a hypothesis.

It's as much of an explanation as your invocation of 'expectation
bias'.

Not even close. Expectation bias is a proven phenomenon. "Cable sound"
(defined as audible differences between cables that measure similarly)
is not only an unproven conjecture, but it is a conjecture that runs
counter to the established science of not one but two
fields--psychoacoustics and physics.

Even if 'expectation bias' exists, it STILL can be true that
cables can sound different. You have to prove that 'expectation bias'
is the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation, and this you have not done. This is a
logical flaw in your argument.

No, it's simply a gap in your understanding of the subject you are
talking about. If the only thing we knew was that various people
profess to hear differences between cables, then it is true that
expectation bias and 'cable sound" would both be plausible
explanations. But that is not the only thing we know. We know two
further things:

1. No one has ever demonstrated the ability to distinguish between two
cables that measure similarly when they did not know which cable was
which.

2. Given the known and well-established effect of a conductor on a
signal passing through it, the measured difference between two similar
cables would not be sufficient to produce audibly different output from
the speakers.

Once we know those two things, expectation bias becomes the only
plausible explanation. "Cable sound" fails because it cannot explain
the inability of listeners to distinguish between similar cables when
they do not know which is which. And it runs counter to the findings of
physics regarding the impact of a conductor on a signal passing through
it. That's why expectation bias is the scientifically accepted
explanation for reports of 'cable sound." And that, in turn, is why the
burden of proof rests with those who would argue that expectation bias
is not the correct explanation.

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days. You must account for that through some psychological
mechanism. It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time,

You have no evidence whatever for this assertion. Rather, it seems
quite likely that, once you determined initially that two cables
sounded different, expectation bias would only reinforce that
determination in subsequent trials.

when the alternative explanation (the cables are the cause) is
more likely to provide such consistency. tghere is in science a
principle called 'similar causes produce similar effects', which means
that something known to produce a gven effect in one condition should
produce the same or similar effects in another similar situation. Acid,
when poured over flesh, can always be expected to bring about damage
through the same mechanism. We don't expect it to be benign one time
and harmful the next. It would be quite a feat to explain similar
results over many trials invoking purely psychological causes.

Quite the contrary. It would be quite trivial, as I demonstrated above.

bob

It's as much of an explanation as your invocation of 'expectation
bias'.

Not even close.

'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any given
phenomenon.

Expectation bias is a proven phenomenon.

Just what is it proven TO DO?

"Cable sound"
(defined as audible differences between cables that measure similarly)
is not only an unproven conjecture, but it is a conjecture that runs
counter to the established science of not one but two
fields--psychoacoustics and physics.

This is false.

Even if 'expectation bias' exists, it STILL can be true that
cables can sound different. You have to prove that 'expectation bias'
is the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation, and this you have not done. This is a
logical flaw in your argument.

No, it's simply a gap in your understanding of the subject you are
talking about.

False.

If the only thing we knew was that various people
profess to hear differences between cables, then it is true that
expectation bias and 'cable sound" would both be plausible
explanations. But that is not the only thing we know. We know two
further things:

1. No one has ever demonstrated the ability to distinguish between two
cables that measure similarly when they did not know which cable was
which.

Not relevant to the issue.

2. Given the known and well-established effect of a conductor on a
signal passing through it, the measured difference between two similar
cables would not be sufficient to produce audibly different output from
the speakers.

What is measurable is not identical to every conceivable difference.

Once we know those two things, expectation bias becomes the only
plausible explanation.

False. 'Expectation bias' explains nothing. It does not account for
specific phenomena heard, or for the consistency of same. It is a
statistical tool, that's all.

"Cable sound" fails because it cannot explain
the inability of listeners to distinguish between similar cables when
they do not know which is which.

Not relevant to the issue.

And it runs counter to the findings of
physics regarding the impact of a conductor on a signal passing through
it.

Not relevant to the issue.

That's why expectation bias is the scientifically accepted
explanation for reports of 'cable sound."

Not relevant to the issue.

And that, in turn, is why the
burden of proof rests with those who would argue that expectation bias
is not the correct explanation.

Nope. Burden of proof is on you. 'Expectation bias' is an extraordinary
claim in this context. 'Expectation bias' proves nothing and accounts
for nothing specific.

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days. You must account for that through some psychological
mechanism. It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time,

You have no evidence whatever for this assertion.

My own experiences, repeated several dozen times.

Rather, it seems
quite likely that, once you determined initially that two cables
sounded different, expectation bias would only reinforce that
determination in subsequent trials.

False. Not provable. Not relevant to the issue.

when the alternative explanation (the cables are the cause) is
more likely to provide such consistency. tghere is in science a
principle called 'similar causes produce similar effects', which means
that something known to produce a gven effect in one condition should
produce the same or similar effects in another similar situation. Acid,
when poured over flesh, can always be expected to bring about damage
through the same mechanism. We don't expect it to be benign one time
and harmful the next. It would be quite a feat to explain similar
results over many trials invoking purely psychological causes.

Quite the contrary. It would be quite trivial, as I demonstrated above.

Nope. Quite the contrary.

Prove to me HOW 'expectation bias' PRODUCES aural phenomena that a

1) Consistent over time with given products

2) Not co relatable to expectations before the product is auditioned

3) Detailed and elaborate

1) & 2) My experiences with each of several products (cables, RF traps,
CD cleaners, etc.) have shown IDENTICAL 'performance' for each product
on every trial. The cables that sounded better ALWAYS sounded better.
The CD cleaner NEVER improved the sound, despite my expectation that it
would.

3) The differences between the $100 Monster Cable and the $50 Monster
Cable interconnect were complex and rich. It is in fact difficult to
describe the differences in words, because so many things are changed
all at once.

It is incumbent upon YOU to clarify how 'expectation bias' (which is
nothing in itself, but simply a mathematical phenomenon) EXPLAINS any
of this. Simply claiming 'expectation bias' exists does not deny, in
any way, that cables can sound different.

bob

Stewart Pinkerton

On 22 Aug 2005 23:47:23 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 19 Aug 2005 22:22:04 GMT,
wrote:

Stewart:

Claiming that cables sound different to a listener is, unfortunately
for you, NOT an 'extraordinary' claim. As I said before, it MAY be
false (it remains to be seen), but not every false claim is
extraordinary.

You can repeat this as often as you like - it will still be rubbish.

You do not distinguish between 'false' and extraordinary'?

Of course. You may claim that you can run a mile in less than five
minutes. That would probably be a false claim, but certainly not an
extraordinary one. My comment was of course related to your first
sentence above, not the second.

It is false to claim that I can run my car on lemon juice. It is false,
easily disproven, and ridiculous, but NOT extraordinary. It calls on no
unknown or unknowable forces or factors.

Of course it does, since lemon juice is not flammable. You don't even
seem to understand the meaning of an extraordinary claim.

No, you don't. Trying to account for crop circles by invoking the
actions of extraterrestrial alien craft when the phenomenon can be
accounted for by the actions of men is an extraordinary claim.

Of course it is - as is claiming that nominally competent cables sound
different. That's what you don't seem to understand. Although of
course this is only a ptetext so that you can claim the burden of
proof is not on you. Sorry U238, it is, and always has been.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 22 Aug 2005 23:48:18 GMT, wrote:

There is a principle in philosophy or science called parsimony or
Occam's razor. It is usually undertsood to mean that a more complex
explanation is unlikley to be true when a simpler one will do the job.
The simpler explanation is that the cables are the cause.

That's not an explanation at all. That's a hypothesis.

It's as much of an explanation as your invocation of 'expectation
bias'. Even if 'expectation bias' exists, it STILL can be true that
cables can sound different. You have to prove that 'expectation bias'
is the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation, and this you have not done. This is a
logical flaw in your argument.

That is a pure strawman. You are suggesting that it's necessary to
prove that kids with boards is the only possible explanation for crop
circles, in order to show that it's not aliens.

Expectation bias *does* of course exist, as any psychoacoustician (or
doctor) will tell you. That's how placebos work - and they often *do*
work.

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days.

So you claim - but then you always *knew* what you were listening to.
That particular effect, as any psychologist will tell you, is called
'reinforcement'.

You must account for that through some psychological mechanism.

See above.

It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time, when the alternative explanation (the cables are the cause) is
more likely to provide such consistency.

Nope, we are perfectly capable of huge variation in what we think we
perceive. This has nothing to do with the physical world.

there is in science a
principle called 'similar causes produce similar effects', which means
that something known to produce a gven effect in one condition should
produce the same or similar effects in another similar situation. Acid,
when poured over flesh, can always be expected to bring about damage
through the same mechanism. We don't expect it to be benign one time
and harmful the next. It would be quite a feat to explain similar
results over many trials invoking purely psychological causes.

Not at all - indeed that's one of the problems with psy. Human
variation is so massive that psy is often dismissed as a 'soft'
science - sometimes even a pseudo-science. Were that not the case, we
would not have continuation of conflicting theories, Freudians and
Jungians, nature and nurture, etc etc.

No modern scientist beloieves in Phlogiston, but ask a room full of
psychologists why we people become clinically depressed, and you'll
get more answers than there are people in the room..................

[...]

In all of the above, you are simply denying reality. I challenge you to
find a perceptual psychologist anywhere who disagrees with anything
I've said above.

[...]

It's not a "mathematical phenomenon" at all, whatever that is. It's a
psychological phenomenon, related to the placebo effect. (You do
believe in the placebo effect, don't you?)

If you think expectation bias doesn't explain anything, then how do YOU
explain the persistent tendency of listening test subjects, when asked
whether two sounds are the same, to report them as sounding different
even when they are identical?

bob

Mark DeBellis

I think you are saying the same thing that I have been trying to say,
and you put it very well. It may be that there are differences between
the presentations, but you can't detect them. It is others who have
(apparently) been arguing that if you can't detect a difference, there
can't *be* a difference between the presentations.

By a "difference between two presentations" I would understand this to
mean a difference between what you perceive in one and what you
perceive in the other, not just that there is some physical difference
out there.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Steven Sullivan wrote:

There's *no question* that the 'information' picked up in a sighted
comparison is different from the information picked up in a DBT.
There's also no question that in the former case, the 'information' runs a
significant risk of actually being perceptual 'noise', not 'signal'.
Because -- and it appears this needs to be repeated every week here
at least, as long as Mr. DeBellis is around --

No, let's factor sighted comparisons out of the discussion. I'm
assuming everything is blind, and don't see the need to keep repeating
the qualification. You explained the problems with sighted comparison
very well in an earlier post, and I indicated my recognition of this in

people perceive 'audible' differences even in comparisons where we
can be independently certain that *nothing has changed*

All the hand waving about and logic-chopping and sentence-parsing
and what-ifs and let's-supposes and how-do-we-know-for-sures
and special pleading in the world will not get us around that
unfortunate fact of life.

As long as humans are subject to fundamental errors
of perception -- as long as perception remains *imperfect* --
'blinding' will be necessary to correct it.

I agree. But the fact that we often perceive illusory differences
between things doesn't show that, in any particular case, they're the
same either.

So my question still stands, but with respect to blind, not sighted,
listening.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Buster Mudd wrote:

I think you keep harping on this notion that our perceptions of these
two very different phenomena should somehow be similar. The phenomena
(musical memory & audio memory) are similar only in that they are
initially triggered by an auditory stimulus; beyond that they are so
dissimilar, both in their own content & in the methods by which we
perceive them, that to refer to them both as "information we pick up in
this way" is to incorrectly characterize them. We *don't* pick up both
types of information in the same way once the auditory stimulus has
gotten past the ear.

I have no idea if our perceptions of them should be similar or
different, but given that we have tests for one kind of information,
how are we entitled to rely on those tests to tell us that there are no
differences in the other kind of information?

Mark
Mark DeBellis

wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

If Karl senses that A
possesses x, and that B does not possess x, then he can tell that they
are different. QED.

If what you were saying were true, then why would time-distal testing
be unreliable?

It's not unreliable, it's less sensitive to very small changes.

But that illustrates the point. If you can tell A and B apart in a
time-proximate presentation but not a time-distal one, then, in the
latter, you are perceiving different things but aren't able to tell
*that* they're different.

No Mark, you miss the point. In time-distal listening, your
sensitivity to difference is reduced, so you are *not* perceiving
things differently, your threshold of perception has moved.

Hm... Would you agree that, for most if not all cases in which a
person hears a sound, there is a certain degree of loudness that the
listener perceives the sound as having? (Measurable say on the phon
scale, though by "degree" I needn't mean an infinitely exact point.)
Suppose you hear sound A followed immediately by sound B. There is a
certain degree of loudness you hear sound A as having; call it x.
There is a certain degree of loudness you hear B as having; call it y.
As it turns out, you report that A was louder than B. Would you agree
that here, x is not the same as y?

OK, so now suppose you hear A, followed by a lot of random noise and/or
silence, then B. There is a degree of loudness you hear A as having;
call it x'. There is a degree of loudness you hear B as having; call
it y'. In this case, let's say you have no idea which, if either, was
louder. Do you want to say that here, x' = y'? Intuitively I would
think that there would be many situations in which x' = x and y' = y,
i.e., where the perceived loudness of each sound in the second
situation was just the same as in the first situation, but where you
can tell that A was louder than B only in the first situation, not the
second.

The argument could also be run in terms of pitch, if you don't like
loudness. What do you think?

No one pretends that at some level, the two events are not different
in some way, the question is whether they are *audibly* different.

Right, I would just maintain that a difference in what is audible is
not the same thing as an audible difference. The first is a difference
between properties we perceive on two occasions; the second is the
detection of a difference. And we might care about the former even
when we don't have the latter.

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 22 Aug 2005 23:48:18 GMT, wrote:

There is a principle in philosophy or science called parsimony or
Occam's razor. It is usually undertsood to mean that a more complex
explanation is unlikley to be true when a simpler one will do the job.
The simpler explanation is that the cables are the cause.

That's not an explanation at all. That's a hypothesis.

It's as much of an explanation as your invocation of 'expectation
bias'. Even if 'expectation bias' exists, it STILL can be true that
cables can sound different. You have to prove that 'expectation bias'
is the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation, and this you have not done. This is a
logical flaw in your argument.

That is a pure strawman. You are suggesting that it's necessary to
prove that kids with boards is the only possible explanation for crop
circles, in order to show that it's not aliens.

No. It is suficient to show:

1) That the 'alien explanation' is an extraordinary claim in itself.
2) Even if it were not an extraordinary claim in itself, a (logically)
simpler explanation exists. Ptolemaic astronomy system is not an
extraordinary one. It still gives accurate results, and is still useful
for navigation. It is simply more complex than Kopernican astronomy,
and therefore less likely to be true if we are not concerned merely
with describing the apparent paths of the planets.

Expectation bias *does* of course exist, as any psychoacoustician (or
doctor) will tell you. That's how placebos work - and they often *do*
work.

Whether 'expectation bias' exists does not matter. UNLESS you can use
it to EXPLAIN, in DETAIL, the aural phenomena heard, AND account for
the consistency in the aural phenomena heard, it is just another 'empty
explanation' like phlogiston. At this point, I have received no such
explanation from you or anyone else. The scientific work I have been
able to find does not use 'expectation bias' in this way at all (see
web citations posted earlier). You are therefore guilty of providing a
False Analogy.

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days.

So you claim - but then you always *knew* what you were listening to.
That particular effect, as any psychologist will tell you, is called
'reinforcement'.

Reinforcement of WHAT, exactly? You have not provided an account HOW
you can use it to EXPLAIN, in DETAIL, the aural phenomena heard, AND
account for the consistency in the aural phenomena heard.

You must account for that through some psychological mechanism.

See above.

It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time, when the alternative explanation (the cables are the cause) is
more likely to provide such consistency.

Nope, we are perfectly capable of huge variation in what we think we
perceive. This has nothing to do with the physical world.

Proof? Proof of consistency? Proof of repeatability?

there is in science a
principle called 'similar causes produce similar effects', which means
that something known to produce a gven effect in one condition should
produce the same or similar effects in another similar situation. Acid,
when poured over flesh, can always be expected to bring about damage
through the same mechanism. We don't expect it to be benign one time
and harmful the next. It would be quite a feat to explain similar
results over many trials invoking purely psychological causes.

Not at all - indeed that's one of the problems with psy. Human
variation is so massive that psy is often dismissed as a 'soft'
science - sometimes even a pseudo-science. Were that not the case, we
would not have continuation of conflicting theories, Freudians and
Jungians, nature and nurture, etc etc.

So, in the face of consistency and repeatability in my experiences in
comparing amplifiers, CD cleaners, and cables, HOW does this supports
your position? It actually weakens it.

No modern scientist beloieves in Phlogiston, but ask a room full of
psychologists why we people become clinically depressed, and you'll
get more answers than there are people in the room..................

Ditto comment above.

Nabo:

If we have several individuals who independently of one another report
hearing differences of the same kind and magnitude in cables (or
amplifiers), the notion of 'expectation bias' falls flat on its face.
There can be no
psychological mechanism that provides such uniformity in the details.

'Expectation bias' is rather something quite different, as this web
page explains:

http://www.law-forensic.com/iacdl_ne...ummer_2003.htm

Here, the 'expectation bias' is rather of a non-sensory sort. It
concerns such things as the CONCLUSIONS about the guilt or innocense
of the accused, or whether the evidence collected at the crime scene is
exculpatory or inculpatory. It does not concern the evidence itself.

In the broad sense, 'expectation bias' is a crude concept, and affects
conclusions or results on a statistical level. There is NO basis for
the claim made that 'expectation bias' can make high frequencies only
SEEM to sound more extended, detailed, and vivid through one
interconnect than through another, and to do so consistently from
time to time in Observer A, and independently in Observer B. Nor does
anything in the notion 'expectation bias' itself account for such
similarity in the observers' results.

'Expectation bias' EXPLAINS NOTHING.

Such a claim can be dismissed out of hand, and I do so.

wrote in message

[...]

You're quite right. It's not necessary to explain how one can tell the
difference between 2 cables, blind, because nobody has ever done it. So
why is this argument still going on?

Norm Strong

Stewart Pinkerton

On 24 Aug 2005 00:14:00 GMT, wrote:

wrote:

It's as much of an explanation as your invocation of 'expectation
bias'.

Not even close.

'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any given
phenomenon.

Of course it is. It explains why people think a Krell amp sounds
better than a Yamaha.

Expectation bias is a proven phenomenon.

Just what is it proven TO DO?

See above.

"Cable sound"
(defined as audible differences between cables that measure similarly)
is not only an unproven conjecture, but it is a conjecture that runs
counter to the established science of not one but two
fields--psychoacoustics and physics.

This is false.

In what way? What possible mechanism exists for two nominally
competent cables to sound different? More particularly, who has ever
*observed* any difference under blind conditions?

Even if 'expectation bias' exists, it STILL can be true that
cables can sound different. You have to prove that 'expectation bias'
is the ONLY POSSIBLE explanation, and this you have not done. This is a
logical flaw in your argument.

No, it's simply a gap in your understanding of the subject you are
talking about.

False.

Clearly *not* false, given your other wild assertions!

If the only thing we knew was that various people
profess to hear differences between cables, then it is true that
expectation bias and 'cable sound" would both be plausible
explanations. But that is not the only thing we know. We know two
further things:

1. No one has ever demonstrated the ability to distinguish between two
cables that measure similarly when they did not know which cable was
which.

Not relevant to the issue.

Actually, it *is* the issue.

2. Given the known and well-established effect of a conductor on a
signal passing through it, the measured difference between two similar
cables would not be sufficient to produce audibly different output from
the speakers.

What is measurable is not identical to every conceivable difference.

Does that sentence actually *mean* anything?

Once we know those two things, expectation bias becomes the only
plausible explanation.

False. 'Expectation bias' explains nothing. It does not account for
specific phenomena heard, or for the consistency of same. It is a
statistical tool, that's all.

It's a proven effect which explains why you might *think* two cables
sound different, when of course it's very easy to demonstrate that
they really don't. The underlying point is that no one has ever heard
any such phenomena, despite your baseless assertions to the contrary.

"Cable sound" fails because it cannot explain
the inability of listeners to distinguish between similar cables when
they do not know which is which.

Not relevant to the issue.

It *is* the issue.

And it runs counter to the findings of
physics regarding the impact of a conductor on a signal passing through
it.

Not relevant to the issue.

It is a good explanation of why no one can actually hear any
differences among nominally competent cables.

That's why expectation bias is the scientifically accepted
explanation for reports of 'cable sound."

Not relevant to the issue.

Utterly central to the issue, and the only plausible explanation of
why 'cable sound' magically vanishes when you don't *know* which cable
is connected.

And that, in turn, is why the
burden of proof rests with those who would argue that expectation bias
is not the correct explanation.

Nope. Burden of proof is on you. 'Expectation bias' is an extraordinary
claim in this context. 'Expectation bias' proves nothing and accounts
for nothing specific.

Not even a good try................

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days. You must account for that through some psychological
mechanism. It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time,

You have no evidence whatever for this assertion.

My own experiences, repeated several dozen times.

Irrelevant, as you always *knew* which cable was connected.

Rather, it seems
quite likely that, once you determined initially that two cables
sounded different, expectation bias would only reinforce that
determination in subsequent trials.

False. Not provable. Not relevant to the issue.

Been proven hundreds of times, which is why it's in all the standard
psy textbooks. Definitely relevant to the issue - that's how
'audiophile' gear gets its reputation.

when the alternative explanation (the cables are the cause) is
more likely to provide such consistency. tghere is in science a
principle called 'similar causes produce similar effects', which means
that something known to produce a gven effect in one condition should
produce the same or similar effects in another similar situation. Acid,
when poured over flesh, can always be expected to bring about damage
through the same mechanism. We don't expect it to be benign one time
and harmful the next. It would be quite a feat to explain similar
results over many trials invoking purely psychological causes.

Quite the contrary. It would be quite trivial, as I demonstrated above.

Nope. Quite the contrary.

Prove to me HOW 'expectation bias' PRODUCES aural phenomena that a

1) Consistent over time with given products

Why wouldn't they be? Your knowledge of the supposed 'sound' of any
given item will not have changed since the last time you listened -
unless you read a different review.

2) Not co relatable to expectations before the product is auditioned

The human mind is perverse, and often likes you to play the rebel. Oh
no, that mid-price ABC cable is *clearly* more transparent than that
ridiculously overpriced XYZ cable. Can't *you* hear the more liquid
cymbal brushwork? And of course, now you can............

3) Detailed and elaborate

The human mind is extremely versatile and powerful............

1) & 2) My experiences with each of several products (cables, RF traps,
CD cleaners, etc.) have shown IDENTICAL 'performance' for each product
on every trial. The cables that sounded better ALWAYS sounded better.
The CD cleaner NEVER improved the sound, despite my expectation that it
would.

So what? Try those cables again, with the only difference being that
you don't *know* which one is connected.

3) The differences between the $100 Monster Cable and the $50 Monster
Cable interconnect were complex and rich. It is in fact difficult to
describe the differences in words, because so many things are changed
all at once.

But none of it is audible.......................

It is incumbent upon YOU to clarify how 'expectation bias' (which is
nothing in itself, but simply a mathematical phenomenon) EXPLAINS any
of this. Simply claiming 'expectation bias' exists does not deny, in
any way, that cables can sound different.

However, the *reality* is that they don't. That's why $5,000 has sat
on the table for six years, without anyone even *trying* to collect
it.

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I think you are saying the same thing that I have been trying to say,
and you put it very well. It may be that there are differences between
the presentations, but you can't detect them. It is others who have
(apparently) been arguing that if you can't detect a difference, there
can't *be* a difference between the presentations.

Why must we be continuously subjected to this? How many times must you
be told that no one here has ever said this to you--not once.

By a "difference between two presentations" I would understand this to
mean a difference between what you perceive in one and what you
perceive in the other, not just that there is some physical difference
out there.

This makes no sense at all. "Presentation" and "perception" mean two
entirely different things.

bob
Mark DeBellis

Mark DeBellis wrote:

... let's factor sighted comparisons out of the discussion.

p.s. I mean as far as what I'm saying is concerned. I realize that
others on this thread are discussing sighted listening, and I don't
mean to infringe on that.

Mark

Nabo:

It's Bob, please.

If we have several individuals who independently of one another report
hearing differences of the same kind and magnitude in cables (or
amplifiers), the notion of 'expectation bias' falls flat on its face.
There can be no
psychological mechanism that provides such uniformity in the details.

We hardly need a formal "psychological mechanism" for this. You all
read the same marketing gibberish. Then you all repeat that gibberish
in your less reality-based Web discussions. So when you finally get
down to actually listening to the things, it's no wonder you come up
with the same opinions. What's striking is that you don't all own the
same kit.

'Expectation bias' is rather something quite different, as this web
page explains:

"Expecation bias" is rather something you don't get at all. But since
you're having trouble with the term, let's just drop it, shall we? As a
substitute, I'll suggest that, when you think you are hearing
differences between cables, what you are most probably doing is
imagining such differences. And what triggers your imagination is all
the non-sonic information you have acquired about those cables--the
price, the look, the claims made on the company's Web site, the
nonsense your fellow audiophiles posted on Audiogon and the Asylum, the
nonsense the salesman in the store told you, what you had for lunch,
the works. That and your own vivid imagination--plus a real desire to
hear said differences--are sufficient to explain everything you report.

Now, I could be wrong about that, but I've already explained the two
reasons I don't think I'm wrong--physics and psychology. Even with that
back-up, however, I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong. And all you
have to do to prove me wrong is to demonstrate that you can tell these
cables apart when you don't already know which is which.

bob
Mark DeBellis

Nabo:

If we have several individuals who independently of one another report
hearing differences of the same kind and magnitude in cables (or
amplifiers), the notion of 'expectation bias' falls flat on its face.
There can be no
psychological mechanism that provides such uniformity in the details.

'Expectation bias' is rather something quite different, as this web
page explains:

http://www.law-forensic.com/iacdl_ne...ummer_2003.htm

I think what Bob, Stewart, and others are talking about is a certain
kind of influence of expectations and beliefs on perception, and I
think they are quite right; it is well documented. A quick glance on
the web brought up these links that look promising; no doubt there are
others.

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/re...pplement1.html
(I am not endorsing relativism, by the way, and whether it follows from
any of this stuff about perception is debatable.)

http://www.aber.ac.uk/media/Modules/.../visper05.html

Two other things to recommend: Paul Churchland's Scientific Realism and
the Plasticity of Mind, and Nelson Goodman's Languages of Art and other
writings. Could also look up "perceptual plasticity" on the web.

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any given
phenomenon.

Of course it is. It explains why people think a Krell amp sounds
better than a Yamaha.

No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'. You don't understand what an
'explanation' is. The Bernoulli effect is an explanation of why a
tennis ball curves more than gavity predicts when struck with spin. You
cannot simply say 'the ball curves because it is struck with spin'. The
does not explain the curving path.

Expectation bias is a proven phenomenon.

Just what is it proven TO DO?

See above.

Not responsive.

It's a proven effect which explains why you might *think* two cables
sound different, when of course it's very easy to demonstrate that
they really don't.

DETAILS, please? Mechanism, please?

The underlying point is that no one has ever heard
any such phenomena, despite your baseless assertions to the contrary.

False. Happens all the time. Your refusal to accept same is perverse.

And that, in turn, is why the
burden of proof rests with those who would argue that expectation bias
is not the correct explanation.

Nope. Burden of proof is on you. 'Expectation bias' is an extraordinary
claim in this context. 'Expectation bias' proves nothing and accounts
for nothing specific.

Nope, the burden of proof is on you.

Not even a good try................

Not only that, but you must account for certain properties of my
experience of hearing differences that are consistent over time. My
experience with listening to various cables has shown the differences
to be repeatable in magnitude and nature over several trials conducted
over several days. You must account for that through some psychological
mechanism. It seems less likely that any known psychological mechanism
would provide for PERFECT consistency in the heard differences over
time,

You have no evidence whatever for this assertion.

My own experiences, repeated several dozen times.

Irrelevant, as you always *knew* which cable was connected.

False. I heard 'no differences' in some cases, consitently with other
products when the situation was exactly the same. I hear CONSISTENT
differences or consistent lack of difference, depending on the product.
This vitates your claim. How can 'knowing' that I have used the CD
cleaner NOT make it sound better (the product claimed it would) but
'knowing' that I have swapped cables make them sound different? How
clever this 'expectation bias' must be, to appear and disappear so
consistently!!! The fact that the 'improvement' correlates stongly with
the use of certain products vitiates your claim.

How can 'knowing' that am using a different amplifier at point A imbue
it with sonic properties that are complex and rich reappear intact and
undiminished six months later when the product is auditioned again?

Rather, it seems
quite likely that, once you determined initially that two cables
sounded different, expectation bias would only reinforce that
determination in subsequent trials.

False. Not provable. Not relevant to the issue.

Been proven hundreds of times, which is why it's in all the standard
psy textbooks. Definitely relevant to the issue - that's how
'audiophile' gear gets its reputation.

False. Irrelevant even if true.

[...]

What 'reality' are you talking about?

it.

Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I think you are saying the same thing that I have been trying to say,

I don't think so.

and you put it very well. It may be that there are differences between
the presentations, but you can't detect them.

You certainly reduce your ability to detect subtle differences if the
presentations are far apart in time. That is why we believe that quick
switching is the most effective method.

It is others who have
(apparently) been arguing that if you can't detect a difference, there
can't *be* a difference between the presentations.

If you cannot dectect a difference using quick switching under blind
conditions, while you previously could detect differences under sighted
conditions, then it is very likely that you simply cannot detect
differences, regardless of whether there is any detectible difference.
What is detectible to someone else may not be to you.

And, of course, there are differences between presentations that simply
are not detectible. For instance, a 0.01 dB difference in level.

By a "difference between two presentations" I would understand this to
mean a difference between what you perceive in one and what you
perceive in the other, not just that there is some physical difference
out there.

No, I simply mean some physical difference in the sound waves received
by your ears.

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton

On 25 Aug 2005 00:18:51 GMT, wrote:

Nabo:

If we have several individuals who independently of one another report
hearing differences of the same kind and magnitude in cables (or
amplifiers), the notion of 'expectation bias' falls flat on its face.
There can be no
psychological mechanism that provides such uniformity in the details.

Clearly, you are unfamiliar with politics...................

'Expectation bias' is rather something quite different, as this web
page explains:

http://www.law-forensic.com/iacdl_ne...ummer_2003.htm

Here, the 'expectation bias' is rather of a non-sensory sort. It
concerns such things as the CONCLUSIONS about the guilt or innocense
of the accused, or whether the evidence collected at the crime scene is
exculpatory or inculpatory. It does not concern the evidence itself.

In other words, the observer expects that the expensive cable will
sound better than the cheap cable. As Arny would say - your gun, your
bullet, your foot.

Basically, you're desperately thrashing around, but have not come up
with *anything* to support your claims regarding 'cable sound', and
you persistently ignore the basics.

Mark DeBellis

Mark DeBellis wrote:
I think you are saying the same thing that I have been trying to say,
and you put it very well. It may be that there are differences between
the presentations, but you can't detect them. It is others who have
(apparently) been arguing that if you can't detect a difference, there
can't *be* a difference between the presentations.

Why must we be continuously subjected to this? How many times must you
be told that no one here has ever said this to you--not once.

I quote:

Mark DeBellis:
There is a third possibility in addition to thinking that A and B are
identical and thinking that they are different, which is not to judge
the matter either way. Can it not be the case that a person enjoys A
more than he enjoys B while failing to judge them either the same or
different? What if he simply does not consider the matter?

Keith Hughes:
This is the same as "the same". Two presentations are the same, or they
are different. If, for whatever reason, you do not distinguish between
the two, then for your internal reality, they are the same. You do not
have to make a conscious evaluation of "sameness", the absence of
conscious "difference" is the same thing.

By a "difference between two presentations" I would understand this to
mean a difference between what you perceive in one and what you
perceive in the other, not just that there is some physical difference
out there.

This makes no sense at all. "Presentation" and "perception" mean two
entirely different things.

There are lots of different things one can mean by terms such as
"presentation" or "perception." Here I was following the precedent
cited above.

Mark

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 25 Aug 2005 00:18:51 GMT, wrote:

Nabo:

If we have several individuals who independently of one another report
hearing differences of the same kind and magnitude in cables (or
amplifiers), the notion of 'expectation bias' falls flat on its face.
There can be no
psychological mechanism that provides such uniformity in the details.

Clearly, you are unfamiliar with politics...................

Not responsive.

What I mean by 'independent of' is that in isolation from each other
and without prior communication. Example: I audition a piece of gear
and hear 'X'. Later, I read a review of the same item, and the reviewer
says he heard 'X'.

'Expectation bias' is rather something quite different, as this web
page explains:

http://www.law-forensic.com/iacdl_ne...ummer_2003.htm

Here, the 'expectation bias' is rather of a non-sensory sort. It
concerns such things as the CONCLUSIONS about the guilt or innocense
of the accused, or whether the evidence collected at the crime scene is
exculpatory or inculpatory. It does not concern the evidence itself.

In other words, the observer expects that the expensive cable will
sound better than the cheap cable. As Arny would say - your gun, your
bullet, your foot.

????? You show no grasp of the content of the article.

Basically, you're desperately thrashing around, but have not come up
with *anything* to support your claims regarding 'cable sound', and
you persistently ignore the basics.

No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'.

Well, it's a heck of a lot more of an explanation than you've got.

This is where you're mistaken, and you refuse to admit it.

Your
"explanation," which you haven't bothered to share with us yet, would
require the rewriting of physics and/or psychology textbooks.

???? I am unable to follow you here. If 'X' causes 'Y' in an observer
(Q), and observer Q reports hearing 'Y' whenever listening to 'X', and
we conclude that 'X' is the source of 'Y', then no further proof is
warranted, because we have located the cause of 'Y' as outside of 'Q'.
If, however, you argue that 'Q' is the source of 'Y', you have to
establish why (in detail) 'Y' always appears when exposed to 'X', and
perhaps never with exposure to 'Z' or 'B'. The fact that you have
located the source of 'Y' within 'Q' requires MORE explanation that if
it is located within 'X'. Do you understand why that is? IOf similar
causes produce similar effects, and 'X' is the sourcve of 'Y', then
there is no need for further inquiry. The cable is the source of the
sound difference, so naturally when the cable is withdrawn and
replaced, the sound difference comes and goes with it. It is simple
direct causation. If, however, the observer is the source of the sound
difference , and nonetheless the sound difference also vanishes when
the cable is withdrawn and reappears when it is replaced (and at no
other time and with no other product), you have some explaining to do,
to account for HOW this might occur. Simply claiming 'expectation bias'
won't do, not even for a mere discussion. It's an insufficient
explanation.

(It's also more of an explanation than you realize. It's a
well-documented phenomenon that fits your situation perfectly. If you
had a bit more of a background in psychology, you might see that.)

Not responsive.

bob

Chung

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

OK, thank you then for the clarification. I agree with pretty much
everything you say. I'm just saying something different.

What matters, or might well matter to some, is whether the information
derived from one source, or its perceptual effect, is the same as that
from another source (in blind musical listening). Why should we assume
that
this reduces to a matter of detecting differences?

Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really that simple.
Buster Mudd

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

I think you keep harping on this notion that our perceptions of these
two very different phenomena should somehow be similar. The phenomena
(musical memory & audio memory) are similar only in that they are
initially triggered by an auditory stimulus; beyond that they are so
dissimilar, both in their own content & in the methods by which we
perceive them, that to refer to them both as "information we pick up in
this way" is to incorrectly characterize them. We *don't* pick up both
types of information in the same way once the auditory stimulus has
gotten past the ear.

I have no idea if our perceptions of them should be similar or
different, but given that we have tests for one kind of information,
how are we entitled to rely on those tests to tell us that there are no
differences in the other kind of information?

We're not; but has anyone claimed otherwise? I don't recall anyone in
rec.audio.high-end ever asserting that tests...be they ABX, DBT, quick
switch, slow switch, monadic, any kind of tests at all...could or
couldn't determine differences in our perceptions of *musical content*.

Every reference to using statistical testing to identify perceived or
imagined differences I've come across here has been pertaining to sonic
attributes of audio components.
Stewart Pinkerton

On 26 Aug 2005 00:45:57 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any given
phenomenon.

Of course it is. It explains why people think a Krell amp sounds
better than a Yamaha.

No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'. You don't understand what an
'explanation' is.

Sure I do - you just don't like the explanation.

The Bernoulli effect is an explanation of why a
tennis ball curves more than gavity predicts when struck with spin. You
cannot simply say 'the ball curves because it is struck with spin'. The
does not explain the curving path.

The difference between this and the myth of 'cable sound' is that
anyone can strike a ball with spin, and observe the effect. *NO ONE*
can listen to two cables and tell them apart by sound alone.

People ask why they can 'hear' differences under sighted conditions,
and the most plausibel explanation is that they expect to hear
differences, therefore they *do* hear differences. Call it 'expecation
bias', call it 'placebo effect', it remains a real and readily
observable effect.

It's a proven effect which explains why you might *think* two cables
sound different, when of course it's very easy to demonstrate that
they really don't.

DETAILS, please? Mechanism, please?

Play a piece twice, with zipcord or superduper audiophile cable
connected in each case, and ask the audience for opinions. You'll get
all the usual guff about inner detail, sweeter treble, bass slam etc
etc - and you didn't even change the cables................

The underlying point is that no one has ever heard
any such phenomena, despite your baseless assertions to the contrary.

False. Happens all the time. Your refusal to accept same is perverse.

That is simply untrue, and laughably so, which is why the $5,000 pool
has remained unclaimed for six years. You'd think that at least *one*
of you subjectivists would have given it a try - you can buy a lot of
concert tickets with five big ones!

What is perverse is *your* insistence that you *can* hear differences,
combined with your refusal to attempt the same when you don't *know*
what's connected. Why does this matter, if you *really* believe that
they sound different? It's all just puff and bluster, isn't it? You
don't *really* have any faith in 'cable sound' at all, do you?

snip lots of violent but insubstantial arm-waving

It is incumbent upon YOU to clarify how 'expectation bias' (which is
nothing in itself, but simply a mathematical phenomenon) EXPLAINS any
of this. Simply claiming 'expectation bias' exists does not deny, in
any way, that cables can sound different.

However, the *reality* is that they don't. That's why $5,000 has sat
on the table for six years, without anyone even *trying* to collect

What 'reality' are you talking about?

The real one - all nominally competent cables sound the same. Common
sense says they should, physics and electrical engineering predicts
that they do, and no one has *ever* demonstrated an ability to hear
differences under blind conditions.

You are making an extraordinary claim. Prove your claim, or stop all
this nonsense.

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any given
phenomenon.

Of course it is. It explains why people think a Krell amp sounds
better than a Yamaha.

No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'. You don't understand what an
'explanation' is.

Sure I do - you just don't like the explanation.

How does a response like this get approved?

'Expectation bias' is NO explanation at all. It is simply assigning a
nebulous 'cause', just like saying 'topspin' makes the ball dip. This
is true, but insufficient as an EXPLANATION. HOW does topspin make the
ball dip?

HOW?

HOW does 'expectation bias' produce aural phenomena.

HOW?

The Bernoulli effect is an explanation of why a
tennis ball curves more than gavity predicts when struck with spin. You
cannot simply say 'the ball curves because it is struck with spin'. The
does not explain the curving path.

The difference between this and the myth of 'cable sound' is that
anyone can strike a ball with spin, and observe the effect. *NO ONE*
can listen to two cables and tell them apart by sound alone.

I CAN! I HAVE!

People ask why they can 'hear' differences under sighted conditions,
and the most plausibel explanation is that they expect to hear
differences, therefore they *do* hear differences. Call it 'expecation
bias', call it 'placebo effect', it remains a real and readily
observable effect.

Not responsive. Not explicatory.

(Irelevancies snipped)

The underlying point is that no one has ever heard
any such phenomena, despite your baseless assertions to the contrary.

False. Happens all the time. Your refusal to accept same is perverse.

That is simply untrue, and laughably so, which is why the $5,000 pool
has remained unclaimed for six years. You'd think that at least *one*
of you subjectivists would have given it a try - you can buy a lot of
concert tickets with five big ones!

False, argumentative, unsupportable, not responsive.

What is perverse is *your* insistence that you *can* hear differences,
combined with your refusal to attempt the same when you don't *know*
what's connected. Why does this matter, if you *really* believe that
they sound different? It's all just puff and bluster, isn't it? You
don't *really* have any faith in 'cable sound' at all, do you?

snip lots of violent but insubstantial arm-waving

It is incumbent upon YOU to clarify how 'expectation bias' (which is
nothing in itself, but simply a mathematical phenomenon) EXPLAINS any
of this. Simply claiming 'expectation bias' exists does not deny, in
any way, that cables can sound different.

However, the *reality* is that they don't. That's why $5,000 has sat
on the table for six years, without anyone even *trying* to collect

What 'reality' are you talking about?

The real one - all nominally competent cables sound the same.

Begs the question. 'Nominally competent' is BY YOUR DEFINITION
incapable of sounding different. The question is rather DO ANY cables
or amplifiers sound different. The answer is blatantly, obviously,
incontrovertibly, YES!

Common
sense says they should, physics and electrical engineering predicts
that they do, and no one has *ever* demonstrated an ability to hear
differences under blind conditions.

Irrelevant.

You are making an extraordinary claim. Prove your claim, or stop all
this nonsense.

No, YOU are making an extraordinary claim. You MUST provide an
EXPLANATION of how 'expectation bias' (which actually means something
quite different, as the links I posted earlier show) actally works to
support your claim.
Jenn

In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Actually to be more fully correct, if a difference is not detected by
the listener under the given test conditions, then they must sound the
same under those conditions.