Posted to rec.audio.pro
joe h joe h is offline

Default Is an electric guitar "analog"?

Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

joe h wrote:
Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

Yes. They produce an analogue signal which varies with the movement of
the strings.

The only vaguely non-analogue thing about them is the way that the
output frequencies vary in more or less discrete steps, unless you've
bent the pitch......

You *can* buy an electric guitar with a built in ADC connected to the
pickup, which will then plug into a USB port directly.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

joe h wrote:
Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

Yes, they have to be analog. Now, they could digitize the signal right
there, on the spot, with an on board A to D converter. but the original
source, and magnetic pickup has to be analog.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On Apr 12, 2:24*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
joe h wrote:
Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

They produce signal in exactly the same way a tape head does; changing
magnetic fields induce a current into the coil of wire. Nothing
quantized, no numbers, no samples. What could be more analog?

(Unless you're reading notes, of course. Those are quantized. But
then, the best way to get a guitar player to quit playing is to put
sheet music in front of him.)

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

joe h wrote:
Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

1. It's not digital because nothing is being quantized in time, therefore
it must be analogue.

2. It's not analogue because the signals are quantized in amplitude (because
they are represented as integer numbers of individual electrons with
fixed charge), therefore it must be digital.

3. You play it with your digits, therefore it's digital.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 4/12/2011 3:17 PM, joe h wrote:

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

Absolutely.

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:17:10 -0700 (PDT), joe h
wrote:

Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

It's analog, but too often the signal is sent through excessively
high gain resulting in hard clipping, effectively making it 1-bit
amplitude sampled.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
chris- chris- is offline

On Apr 13, 4:25*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
joe h wrote:

Kind of an odd question, I suppose.

I'm not sure if the magnetic pickups in a typical electric guitar
qualify as being analog the same way that a magnetic tape recorder
does.

1. It's not digital because nothing is being quantized in time, therefore
* *it must be analogue.

2. It's not analogue because the signals are quantized in amplitude (because
* *they are represented as integer numbers of individual electrons with
* *fixed charge), therefore it must be digital.

3. You play it with your digits, therefore it's digital.

Interesting point

I'd add that the physical universe itself is entirely digital. It has
been disovered that the speed of light is not a constant, but a
variable, and also not a continual variable, but one which changes in
steps. Time has also been discovered to have a frequency, so is a
series of still versions, essentially. So I guess everything's digital
really

CM
Why not turn your interest in guitar playing into an additional
income?
flippa.com/133540
Posted to rec.audio.pro

joe h wrote:

[...]

Quantized, not digital. Digital means "represented by numbers", while
quantized means having a discrete set of possible states.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I'd add that the physical universe itself is entirely digital. It has
been disovered that the speed of light is not a constant, but a
variable, and also not a continual variable, but one which changes in
steps. Time has also been discovered to have a frequency, so is a
series of still versions, essentially. So I guess everything's digital
really

Quantized, not digital. Digital means "represented by numbers",
while quantized means having a discrete set of possible states.

And what is the difference? There is none.

We've been through this before. Once data are quantized, they are digital.
This is correct, regardless of what any book might say. If you don't
understand it, you need to think it through.

If you believe something without understanding it... what can I say?

By the way, I have never heard of evidence for the speed of light being
quantized.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 05:11:04 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

[...]

Please don't ride your hobby horse yet again William. Nobody was
impressed last time, and neither will they be this.

As for the speed of light - go and theorize to your heart's content.
Then when you have experimental evidence one way or another, you can
come back and amaze us.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

William Sommerwerck wrote:

We've been through this before. Once data are quantized, they are digital.
This is correct, regardless of what any book might say. If you don't
understand it, you need to think it through.

Once they are quantized by _amplitude_ or by time?

Because you can have an analogue level quantized by time (PWM for instance)...

By the way, I have never heard of evidence for the speed of light being
quantized.

As far as I know it's continuous and depends on the medium the light is
passing through. But my knowledge of physics stops around special relativity.
--Scott

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

[...]

I can't help it that people are stupid for not being able to see what is
patent.

As for the speed of light - go and theorize to your heart's content.
Then when you have experimental evidence one way or another, you can
come back and amaze us.

I only asked for the evidence. Where is it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message
"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I'd add that the physical universe itself is entirely
digital. It has been disovered that the speed of light
is not a constant, but a variable, and also not a
continual variable, but one which changes in steps.
Time has also been discovered to have a frequency, so
is a series of still versions, essentially. So I guess
everything's digital really

Quantized, not digital. Digital means "represented by
numbers", while quantized means having a discrete set of
possible states.

And what is the difference? There is none.

The number of different numbers within any finite range goes to infinity as
their precision increases. Having a discrete number of possible states
implies a finite and bounded number of possible values in any finite range.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message

As for the speed of light - go and theorize to your
heart's content. Then when you have experimental
evidence one way or another, you can come back and amaze
us.

I only asked for the evidence. Where is it?

Google is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_speed_of_light

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Apr 25, 6:51*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in

As for the speed of light - go and theorize to your
heart's content. Then when you have experimental
evidence one way or another, you can come back and amaze
us.

I only asked for the evidence. Where is it?

Google is your friend.

The article presents several theoretical speculations about a possible
variation in the speed of light, but only one piece of very tentative
and disputed evidence, based on observations of quasars which were not
replicated.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"PStamler" wrote in message

On Apr 25, 6:51 am, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote
in

As for the speed of light - go and theorize to your
heart's content. Then when you have experimental
evidence one way or another, you can come back and
amaze us.
I only asked for the evidence. Where is it?

Google is your friend.

The article presents several theoretical speculations
about a possible variation in the speed of light, but
only one piece of very tentative and disputed evidence,
based on observations of quasars which were not
replicated.

That's what I saw! I completely agree with your analysis, Paul.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

PStamler wrote:
On Apr 25, 6:51=A0am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in

As for the speed of light - go and theorize to your
heart's content. Then when you have experimental
evidence one way or another, you can come back and amaze
us.
I only asked for the evidence. Where is it?

Google is your friend.

The article presents several theoretical speculations about a possible
variation in the speed of light, but only one piece of very tentative
and disputed evidence, based on observations of quasars which were not
replicated.

C isn't the speed of light, per se.

The speed of light changes all the time, it's what makes lenses work. It
is different in different media.

The constant C changing is different than the speed of light changing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

On Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:07:45 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

We've been through this before. Once data are quantized, they are

digital.
This is correct, regardless of what any book might say. If you don't
understand it, you need to think it through.

Once they are quantized by _amplitude_ or by time?

Amplitude.

So an LM3916-based LED "vu" display is digital, but a
Bucket-Brigade Device reverb/flanger (which needs anti-alias and
reconstruction filters) is analog?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

wrote:

William Sommerwerck wrote:

We've been through this before. Once data are quantized, they are

digital.
This is correct, regardless of what any book might say. If you don't
understand it, you need to think it through.

Once they are quantized by _amplitude_ or by time?

Amplitude.

So an LM3916-based LED "VU" display is digital, but a
bucket-brigade device reverb/flanger (which needs anti-
alias and reconstruction filters) is analog?

BINGO! Absolutely correct. You get it.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

So an LM3916-based LED "VU" display is digital, but a
bucket-brigade device reverb/flanger (which needs anti-
alias and reconstruction filters) is analog?

BINGO! Absolutely correct. You get it.

Just to clarify a point peripherally raised by Mr Bradley's response...

You can find books and magazine articles which state (or imply) that
time-sampling a signal makes it digital. This is, of course, INCORRECT. All
digital systems require some form of time-sampling (how can you set a
specific value for wiggling Jell-O?), but one can have a sampled-data system
that isn't digital. "Digital" means that sampled data are quantized -- and
that's all.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ben Bradley[_2_] Ben Bradley[_2_] is offline

On Tue, 3 May 2011 03:23:27 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

So an LM3916-based LED "VU" display is digital, but a
bucket-brigade device reverb/flanger (which needs anti-
alias and reconstruction filters) is analog?

BINGO! Absolutely correct. You get it.

Just to clarify a point peripherally raised by Mr Bradley's response...

You can find books and magazine articles which state (or imply) that
time-sampling a signal makes it digital. This is, of course, INCORRECT. All
digital systems require some form of time-sampling (how can you set a
specific value for wiggling Jell-O?), but one can have a sampled-data system
that isn't digital. "Digital" means that sampled data are quantized -- and
that's all.

It does explain the name change over editions of the original
Oppenheim et. al. book from "Digital Signal Processing" to the more
accurate "Discrete-Time Signal Processing."