Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dude Japan Dude Japan is offline

Default Perceived Loudness Meter in T-Racks 3

Can anyone explain to me, what the Perceived Loudness Meter in T-Racks
3 is actually measuring?

Is it just RMS?

Is it influenced by a weighting filter?

Are there other plug-ins that do the same thing?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark Mark is offline

On Apr 27, 1:24*am, Dude Japan wrote:
Can anyone explain to me, what the Perceived Loudness Meter in T-Racks
3 is actually measuring?

Is it just RMS?

Is it influenced by a weighting filter?

Are there other plug-ins that do the same thing?

I don't know about T racks specifically, but re loudness meters in
general see:

http://www.dorrough.com/index.html

Mark
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Mark wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:24=A0am, Dude Japan wrote:
Can anyone explain to me, what the Perceived Loudness Meter in T-Racks
3 is actually measuring?

Is it just RMS?

Is it influenced by a weighting filter?

Are there other plug-ins that do the same thing?

I don't know about T racks specifically, but re loudness meters in
general see:

http://www.dorrough.com/index.html

I don't know about T-Racks either, but I highly recommend using the
Orban loudness meter, in part BECAUSE everything inside the box is
thoroughly documented and you know exactly what the dynamics are like.

The Orban uses weighting which varies with level, which is the right
way of doing it. Oh, and it's available for free also.

http://www.orban.com/meter/Technology.html

The K-system is another very well standardized loudness scale, again
with a clear definition so that you can be sure any two K-meter
implementations will read the same.

If the stuff inside the box is not documented, then the results cannot
be expected to be the same from one meter to another. If this is the
case, the meter is not really very useful (like some Japanese "VU meters"
from the analogue era).
Posted to rec.audio.pro
cedricl[_2_] cedricl[_2_] is offline

On Apr 27, 7:45*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I don't know about T-Racks either, but I highly recommend using the
Orban loudness meter, in part BECAUSE everything inside the box is
thoroughly documented and you know exactly what the dynamics are like.

The Orban uses weighting which varies with level, which is the right
way of doing it. *Oh, and it's available for free also.

http://www.orban.com/meter/Technology.html

That's a nice application. Is there an equivalent app for the Mac?
Posted to rec.audio.pro

cedricl wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:45=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I don't know about T-Racks either, but I highly recommend using the
Orban loudness meter, in part BECAUSE everything inside the box is
thoroughly documented and you know exactly what the dynamics are like.

The Orban uses weighting which varies with level, which is the right
way of doing it. =A0Oh, and it's available for free also.

http://www.orban.com/meter/Technology.html

That's a nice application. Is there an equivalent app for the Mac?

Not yet! Write Bob Orban!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Scott Dorsey wrote:

cedricl wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:45=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I don't know about T-Racks either, but I highly recommend using the
Orban loudness meter, in part BECAUSE everything inside the box is
thoroughly documented and you know exactly what the dynamics are like.

The Orban uses weighting which varies with level, which is the right
way of doing it. =A0Oh, and it's available for free also.

http://www.orban.com/meter/Technology.html

That's a nice application. Is there an equivalent app for the Mac?

Not yet! Write Bob Orban!
--scott

Since any modern Mac will run Windows, the answer is already yes, if
somewhat cumbersome and prone to infection. g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Robert Orban[_2_] Robert Orban[_2_] is offline

In article , says...

cedricl wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:45=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I don't know about T-Racks either, but I highly recommend using the
Orban loudness meter, in part BECAUSE everything inside the box is
thoroughly documented and you know exactly what the dynamics are like.

The Orban uses weighting which varies with level, which is the right
way of doing it. =A0Oh, and it's available for free also.

http://www.orban.com/meter/Technology.html

That's a nice application. Is there an equivalent app for the Mac?

Not yet! Write Bob Orban!

There will not be a Mac version of the free loudness meter because we
don't have the resources to do it. For those who don't like this answer,
I'll be happy to refund their money :-)

Bob Orban

Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Robert Orban wrote:

In article , says...

cedricl wrote:
On Apr 27, 7:45=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

I don't know about T-Racks either, but I highly recommend using the
Orban loudness meter, in part BECAUSE everything inside the box is
thoroughly documented and you know exactly what the dynamics are like.

The Orban uses weighting which varies with level, which is the right
way of doing it. =A0Oh, and it's available for free also.

http://www.orban.com/meter/Technology.html

That's a nice application. Is there an equivalent app for the Mac?

Not yet! Write Bob Orban!

There will not be a Mac version of the free loudness meter because we
don't have the resources to do it. For those who don't like this answer,
I'll be happy to refund their money :-)

Bob Orban

Any Macster who seriously needed it could boot the Mac into Windows and
run with it.