Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

Default Analog Transfer from a Computer Sound Card

Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card together a
problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

"mcp6453":

Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card together
a problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

read this
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

and check out some of the other Rane notes (Support - Library) for useful
general information.

hope that helps,
Phil

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mcp6453[_2_] mcp6453[_2_] is offline

On 5/1/2011 7:31 PM, Phil W wrote:
"mcp6453":

Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card together
a problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

read this
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

and check out some of the other Rane notes (Support - Library) for useful
general information.

hope that helps,
Phil

Les and Phil, thanks for the article. I totally understand the problem.
My question probably centers more around whether computer manufacturers
have already included a resistor in series with the outputs to prevent
damage when the outputs are shorted or combined. Any thoughts?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

mcp6453 wrote:
Les and Phil, thanks for the article. I totally understand the problem.
My question probably centers more around whether computer manufacturers
have already included a resistor in series with the outputs to prevent
damage when the outputs are shorted or combined. Any thoughts?

Even if there is no damage, there will be distortion. My thought is to
make up a couple cables with 22 ohm series resistors in them. 3.5mm TRS
on one end, XLR on the other. Breakout resistors inside the XLR since
there's more room in there.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card together a
problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

It can be.

http://www.rane.com/note109.html

--
Les Cargill

Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:
On 5/1/2011 7:31 PM, Phil W wrote:
"mcp6453":

Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card together
a problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

read this
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

and check out some of the other Rane notes (Support - Library) for
useful
general information.

hope that helps,
Phil

Les and Phil, thanks for the article. I totally understand the problem.

Ach! My bad, then "

My question probably centers more around whether computer manufacturers
have already included a resistor in series with the outputs to prevent
damage when the outputs are shorted or combined. Any thoughts?

I would not assume that. A VOM measurement might be of value, but
it might not be.

--
Les
Posted to rec.audio.pro

mcp6453 wrote:

Les and Phil, thanks for the article. I totally understand the
problem. My question probably centers more around whether computer
manufacturers have already included a resistor in series with the
outputs to prevent damage when the outputs are shorted or combined.
Any thoughts?

Standard design for a headphone output is series resistors in the hundreds
ohm range, it would surprise me greatly if it wasn't adhered to, but it is
also standard design for a stereo-mono y-cord to include series resistors in
the 05. to 1 kohm range.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On 5/1/2011 6:58 PM, mcp6453 wrote:
Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card
together a problem?

Usually not.

of audio." - John Watkinson

interesting audio stuff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 02/05/2011 0.58, mcp6453 ha scritto:
Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound card together a
problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

yes, other than the "rane" suggestion, consider to monoing "digitally"
and use just one output instead of 2.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"mcp6453" wrote in message

On 5/1/2011 7:31 PM, Phil W wrote:
"mcp6453":

Is tying the left and right outputs of a computer sound
card together a problem?

http://goo.gl/s1Brc

read this
http://www.rane.com/note109.html

and check out some of the other Rane notes (Support - Library) for
useful general information.

hope that helps,
Phil

Les and Phil, thanks for the article. I totally
understand the problem. My question probably centers more
around whether computer manufacturers have already
included a resistor in series with the outputs to prevent
damage when the outputs are shorted or combined. Any
thoughts?

It's pretty standard to put a "building out" resistor in series with the
off-board output of any op amp.

Value - 22, 75, 220, 620 ohms.

It is also pretty standard to include some kind of short-circuit protection.

That all said, the 100% safe (or as close to that as you can get) solution
for Y-cables includes some series resistors of its own. I usually use 620
ohm resistors.