Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default ADK- GT-2- any feedback?

I have been having a hard time finding any real meat-on-the-bone
reviews of this mic:

http://www.macmidimusic.com/prod.itml/icOid/2247

Tons of stuff out there about the Vienna, Hamburg, etc., but not much
on this one. Kind of smacks of the "trying to do too much" thing (i.e.
9 polar patterns, etc.). I'm in the market for some lower-priced LDCs
to (cost-effectively) add some more options to my meager mic collection
and would like to know more about this one in particular. I've asked
on a few other forums as well- no one has much to say. I could of
course e-mail the folks at ADK, but I'm looking for some distance from
the manufacturer opinions.

Anyone have any info? Thanks a lot!

LM

Posted to rec.audio.pro
RD Jones

wrote:

on this one. Kind of smacks of the "trying to do too much" thing (i.e.
9 polar patterns, etc.). I'm in the market for some lower-priced LDCs
to (cost-effectively) add some more options to my meager mic collection

This is the worst way to add options to a collection.
Get some different _kinds_ of mics. Like a few good dynamics
and forget all the cheap chinadensors. The world does not
revolve around LDC's as the marketing hypesters would have
you believe. If you want variety then get variety.
Sorry for the rant, but the sooner you learn to use and appreciate
the true range that's available and clear your head of the brainwash
the better your recordings will be.

Anyone have any info? Thanks a lot!

A mic that has 9 (?) patterns will have at least 2 capsules
(front and back) which will be switched and varied in level to
create the patterns. This does several things. First it cuts in half
the cost put into each capsule by the manufacturer. Then there's
additional circuitry needed to provide the switching and level
matching for the various patterns and the associated problems
with actually getting this right. See where this is going ?
You're getting more features at the expense of sound quality.

Look into the AT2020 and KEL HM1 for inexpensive condensors
if that's what you really think will add the variety to your kit you
need.
These are small/medium size caps. I still recommend an assortment
of mics types and diaphram sizes to really add options.
But that's just me ... YMMV

rd

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Thanks for the info (and understood rant). Your comments (and specific
technical details) on the
9-pattern-wash-your-dishes-take-your-kids-to-school kind of mics are
informative and kind of what I suspected. I was really just trying to
see if anyone had read any reviews or heard anything about this
particular mic, since ADK has a decent reputation (even for some of the
lower-end stuff) but there is absolutely nothing on this mic out there
that I can find from actual users. Likely not a good sign, either!

FYI- Not brainwashed, just cash and mic shy- a bad combination that can
lead one to opt for some cheaper options to at least slowly build a
closet. For the $, I frankly don't think getting something on the
colored side of things like the MXL V69 or a Vienna or a 2020 means
that I think the world revolves around LDCs. I just wouldn't mind
having one or two in my meager collection that sound decent (without
selling a kidney). I'm trying to keep an open mind to other mics, cap
sizes, etc. On the condensor side, I haven't looked at the KEL HM1-
will do. I'm also considering some dynamics as well.

Thanks again!

LM