Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dave O'Heare[_3_] Dave O'Heare[_3_] is offline

Default Remote headphone ideas?

I find myself doing a lot of mixing via iPad these days, often with the
physical console stuffed someplace inaccessible ("Show's sold out, can't
lose that many seats for the mixer").

Mostly it's doable, but I find that I miss having cue headphones. Which
input is that buzz coming from, has what's-their-name shut their mic off
again, finding all that sort of nonsense without PFL makes my work a lot
tougher than I want it to be. And most of these events are pretty low
budget, so there really isn't a budget for an A2/runner.

Do I just bite the bullet and add an IEM pack and another set of phones to
the amount of crap I'm already wearing, or is there an easy and preferably
cheap way to, say, feed the stereo audio as streaming audio over Wi-Fi?
That way I could use my phone, which has ended up being my intercom too
("What do you need all those ClearCom thingies for anyhow?"), to listen. I
don't want to try to deal with this via Bluetooth; range and latency would
annoy me, I think.

And how come nobody has built this stuff in to a console yet?

And while we're at it, maybe a pony...
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 11/15/2016 12:33 AM, Dave O'Heare wrote:
I find myself doing a lot of mixing via iPad these days, often with the
physical console stuffed someplace inaccessible

Mostly it's doable, but I find that I miss having cue headphones. Which
input is that buzz coming from, has what's-their-name shut their mic off
again, finding all that sort of nonsense without PFL makes my work a lot
tougher than I want it to be.

Do I just bite the bullet and add an IEM pack and another set of phones to
the amount of crap I'm already wearing, or is there an easy and preferably
cheap way to, say, feed the stereo audio as streaming audio over Wi-Fi?

Gotcha! The trade-off between the cost of a WiFi link and remote app
wins over making a physically larger console will all the controls at
your fingertips (and a place to put it) that you might need. It's
certainly attractive for a certain kind of show - a dozen or fewer mics,
one act or at most two in a show, and accepting that a problem that
occurs unexpectedly might take a little longer to resolve.

What do you do? You pay very close attention to what's coming out of the
speakers, and when you hear something that you can't fix with your
remote controls, you hustle back to wherever the mixer is stashed, and
work from there. Or you use a setup as you describe, with a wireless
link between the console's headphone jack or monitor output and a
receiver in your pocket.

And how come nobody has built this stuff in to a console yet?

"It's the economy, stupid!" Makers of $25,000+ consoles could afford to
integrate the technology, but those consoles are, for the most part,
used in fully-staffed shows or at minimum provided by a company that can
afford to implement their own remote monitoring solution if it's necessary.

Makers of $2,500- mixers can't afford to include a feature that might
add upwards of $200 to the retail cost of the mixer that the majority of
their customers won't use. Their product design is based on offering a
one-size-fits-all concept rather than offering a selections of options.
Even the cost of adding a connector and a hole in the panel to mount an
optional transmitter would increase the manufacturing cost and would
have to be studied carefully.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Do I just bite the bullet and add an IEM pack and another set of phones to
the amount of crap I'm already wearing, or is there an easy and preferably
cheap way to, say, feed the stereo audio as streaming audio over Wi-Fi?

small FM radio transmitter?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JackA JackA is offline

On Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 1:16:20 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Do I just bite the bullet and add an IEM pack and another set of phones to
the amount of crap I'm already wearing, or is there an easy and preferably
cheap way to, say, feed the stereo audio as streaming audio over Wi-Fi?

small FM radio transmitter?

LP FM!! Can get them cheap directly from China!! Unreal!

Jack

DVD mix ideas jazzman31[_2_] Pro Audio 73 May 12th 16 07:18 AM
Need help, ideas... Ajanta Car Audio 2 January 1st 07 09:14 AM
RCA to Headphone converter: do not want wireless headphone hpeter Car Audio 4 September 26th 06 02:50 PM
Dolby headphone or just traditional Hi-Fi headphone? Taru Tech 0 July 17th 06 04:33 PM
Adcom GTP 500II remote, remote codes ChrisS Marketplace 0 August 21st 03 01:22 AM