Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default Simple line amplifier

My SACD player puts out a very low signal for the front stereo outputs.
I have these connected to my old stereo system and the surround channels
go to a multi channel amp which has it's level controlled by the remote.
I would like to add a simple stereo line amp to raise the level of the
front channel signal. Is such a thing available?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
My SACD player puts out a very low signal for the front stereo outputs.
I have these connected to my old stereo system and the surround channels
go to a multi channel amp which has it's level controlled by the remote.
I would like to add a simple stereo line amp to raise the level of the
front channel signal. Is such a thing available?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mike...something doesn't sound right here. The signal should be the same
for all outputs...has been on every multichannel device I've had in my
system...about five. Are you sure you haven't trimmed down the output for
the front channels in "setup"? Or are your input impedences in the stereo
preamp unusually low so you are damping down the input signal?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

Strange. It is likely that the player puts out the same signal on all
channels and that your old stereo system has too little gain on the
input you are using. Still, you should be able to balance the
channels by using the volume control on the stereo. Can you tell us
what the components are and how they are connected?

I do not know, off hand, of a simple line amp for this purpose but,
perhaps, you can find an old/used stereo preamp to use.

Kal

On 19 Sep 2007 23:36:16 GMT, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

My SACD player puts out a very low signal for the front stereo outputs.
I have these connected to my old stereo system and the surround channels
go to a multi channel amp which has it's level controlled by the remote.
I would like to add a simple stereo line amp to raise the level of the
front channel signal. Is such a thing available?

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Philip Meech Philip Meech is offline

Harry Lavo wrote:
"---MIKE---" wrote in message

My SACD player puts out a very low signal for the front stereo outputs.
I have these connected to my old stereo system and the surround channels
go to a multi channel amp which has it's level controlled by the remote.
I would like to add a simple stereo line amp to raise the level of the
front channel signal. Is such a thing available?

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Mike...something doesn't sound right here. The signal should be the same
for all outputs...has been on every multichannel device I've had in my
system...about five. Are you sure you haven't trimmed down the output for
the front channels in "setup"? Or are your input impedences in the stereo
preamp unusually low so you are damping down the input signal?

www.phonopreamps.com sells line amps.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Harry Lavo wrote:

The signal should be the same for all
outputs..

It is the same but I send the front signals to my stereo preamp
(Apt-Holman) instead of to the multi channel amp. I have to crank the
volume way up on my stereo preamp compared to other inputs. CDs played
on the same player have normal volume levels.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Thanks Philip. That's exactly what I was looking for.