Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mesaman Mesaman is offline

Default Nakamichi RCA plugs...decent quality?

I'm a newbie in the world of audio and I'm looking to make some new
cables for my almost new home theater. What I'd like to know is...are
the RCA connectors listed below relatively decent (ie.worth the money
and wait time)? Does anyone recognize these as the brand they claim
to be, or are they a Chinese copy? Any advice on this would be
GREATLY appreciated : )

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-NEW-NAKAMICHI-...photohostin g

Regards,

Steve
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] mpresley@earthlink.net is offline

Mesaman wrote:

I'm a newbie in the world of audio and I'm looking to make some new
cables for my almost new home theater. What I'd like to know is...are
the RCA connectors listed below relatively decent (ie.worth the money
and wait time)? Does anyone recognize these as the brand they claim
to be, or are they a Chinese copy? Any advice on this would be
GREATLY appreciated : )

If it is a Chinese copy it is probably good value. There was a thread on /.
a while ago (if my memory serves me) about an article stating that Chinese
knock-offs are, in many cases, better than the originals. But, since
almost everything is made in China these days, it's hard to know the
difference.

mp
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
erich erich is offline

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 21:30:20 +0000, Mesaman wrote:

I'm a newbie in the world of audio and I'm looking to make some new
cables for my almost new home theater. What I'd like to know is...are
the RCA connectors listed below relatively decent (ie.worth the money
and wait time)? Does anyone recognize these as the brand they claim
to be, or are they a Chinese copy? Any advice on this would be
GREATLY appreciated : )

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-NEW-NAKAMICHI-...photohostin g

Nakamichi used to make leading edge state of the art stuff. Now they are
owned by a Chinese company and make lifestyle music systems and car stereo
stuff. I would stay away.

If you want to make your own cables I would suggest spending some time on
head-fi.org. They have an interesting DIY section covering cable building.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72860
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mesaman" wrote in message

I'm a newbie in the world of audio and I'm looking to
make some new cables for my almost new home theater.

What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The connectors are tending to
fall out of the places in the equipment where they are plugged", or "the
connectors are falling off the ends of the cables", then the following may
be a solution:

http://cgi.ebay.com/8-NEW-NAKAMICHI-...320093570245QQ

What I'd like to know is...are the RCA connectors listed
below relatively decent (ie.worth the money and wait
time)?

Money? As I read things they are about $30 for 8 units including shipping.
That's less than $4 a piece, which is low-to- average price for a decent
connector, which BTW no RCA plug can ever be.

I'm hardly a spendthrift high end audiophile, and I consider $30 to be "mad
money". Take a risk, at the worst you'll get a bit of an education.

Does anyone recognize these as the brand they
claim to be, or are they a Chinese copy? Any advice on
this would be GREATLY appreciated : )

I wouldn't worry about Chinese copies, the Chinese can do whatever they or
someone else want to do, and can produce very decent connectors.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
MC MC is offline

What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The connectors are tending
fall out of the places in the equipment where they are plugged", or "the
connectors are falling off the ends of the cables", ...

Hmmm... With the level of reliability that is needed, why haven't
audiophiles switched over to BNC or TNC connectors?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

MC wrote:

What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The connectors are tending
to fall out of the places in the equipment where they are plugged", or "the
connectors are falling off the ends of the cables", ...

Hmmm... With the level of reliability that is needed, why haven't
audiophiles switched over to BNC or TNC connectors?

XLRs are purpose made for audio and the balanced connections that are possible
with them can help eliminate many common problems.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"MC" wrote in message

What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The
connectors are tending to
fall out of the places in the equipment where they are
plugged", or "the connectors are falling off the ends of
the cables", ...

Hmmm... With the level of reliability that is needed, why
haven't audiophiles switched over to BNC or TNC
connectors?

I've got plenty of experience with BNC for video and its a good connector.
However, I favor XLR for analog audio.

The long term trend is towards serial digital connections. HDMI seems to be
the current leading contender for universal AV connector.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Philip Homburg Philip Homburg is offline

In article , MC wrote:
What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The connectors are tending
fall out of the places in the equipment where they are plugged", or "the
connectors are falling off the ends of the cables", ...

Hmmm... With the level of reliability that is needed, why haven't
audiophiles switched over to BNC or TNC connectors?

I'm not sure that BNC is better than for example a WBT-0147. See
http://www.wbtusa.com/wbt0147.html

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
René René is offline

On 18 Mar 2007 20:59:57 GMT, "MC" wrote:

What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The connectors are tending
fall out of the places in the equipment where they are plugged", or "the
connectors are falling off the ends of the cables", ...

Hmmm... With the level of reliability that is needed, why haven't
audiophiles switched over to BNC or TNC connectors?

Excellent point....complete goldplated SMA / SMB cable assemblies are
quite affordable at e.g. Farnell, Lab grade material, gold plated and
such, 2.5 GHz capable, and way below E10..20 a piece. Thanks be to
Wifi, Zigbee and BT equipment.
(and connects ground before live pin as a bonus)

Looks very sophisticated "high end" too.

--
- René
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

"René" wrote:

"MC" wrote:

What's wrong with the old cables? If you say "The connectors are tending
to fall out of the places in the equipment where they are plugged", or "the

connectors are falling off the ends of the cables", ...

Hmmm... With the level of reliability that is needed, why haven't
audiophiles switched over to BNC or TNC connectors?

Excellent point....complete goldplated SMA / SMB cable assemblies are
quite affordable at e.g. Farnell, Lab grade material, gold plated and
such, 2.5 GHz capable, and way below E10..20 a piece.

The excellent Swiss made Neutrik XLRs cost ~ £2 ea in small quantities. Far East
ones even less. Gold plated is an option.

Thanks be to Wifi, Zigbee and BT equipment.
(and connects ground before live pin as a bonus)

So do XLRs.

Looks very sophisticated "high end" too.

Is that your primary criterion ? Why anyone would want to use a 2-pole connector
puzzles me though.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Mesaman Mesaman is offline

What's wrong with the old cables?
I picked up an amp and speaker set on Japan's Yahoo Auction for next
to nothing because the set came without cables. As the Japanese are
generally not DIY kind-of-people, most bidders avoided the auction. I
have made loads of guitar cables in the past but never RCA audio
cables. Hence my decision to put up a post...

Take a risk, at the worst you'll get a bit of an education.

Good point! It's only $30...

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
René[_2_] René[_2_] is offline

On 20 Mar 2007 22:13:05 GMT, Eeyore
wrote:

he excellent Swiss made Neutrik XLRs cost ~ £2 ea in small quantities. Far East
ones even less. Gold plated is an option.

Thanks be to Wifi, Zigbee and BT equipment.
(and connects ground before live pin as a bonus)

So do XLRs.

Looks very sophisticated "high end" too.

Is that your primary criterion ? Why anyone would want to use a 2-pole connector
puzzles me though.

For some the looks seem important (ever seen a Burmester tube amp?) -
my stuff is best observed behind closed cubbard doors :-)

2-pole? - assymmetrically you mean? I do recognize the great advantage
in symmetrical signal transport in long lines situations (stage,
studio etc.)
In my particular setup, it would only bring unnecessary sym / asym
conversions.

--
- René