kramer

Default best quality compact mp3 player/recorder?

what compact mp3 player on the market currently has the best quality
mp3 recording quality from a line in source? quality recording
capability is what i need most.
Raymond

kramer wrote
what compact mp3 player on the market currently has the best quality
mp3 recording quality from a line in source? quality recording
capability is what i need most.

If your looking for quality maybe you should look into a 44.1K recorder (there
are many low cost basic units out there) as MP3's are low quality to start
with.
Bob Cain

kramer wrote:

what compact mp3 player on the market currently has the best quality
mp3 recording quality from a line in source? quality recording
capability is what i need most.

Creative's NJB3 will allow you to record at 320 kbps (or
uncompressed 16 bit PCM).

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Paul van der Heu

"Arny Krueger" wrote :

A competitive product to the NJB3 is the Archos jukebox. Archos also
sells a portable mic preamp for use with their recorder. Archos also
has digital audio inputs. I have no experience with it or how it
works.

It works very well.. The only thing that's crap is the firmware that comes
with the box.. IF you dump that for RockBox ( http://rockboxx.haxx.se ) you
get a real versatile box. See http://rockbox.haxx.se/docs/features.html for
a comparison between the two. I always record gigs as 'quick reference' on
it using the digital in.. Makes bands real happy when they get a CD with
their performance right after..;^)

--
Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows,
how are you gonna guarantee my safety..
kramer

i was hoping for something smaller... actually size is most important,
then sound quality.

another question for tech audiophiles - does anyone know of any
software that can measure the most common frequency in a recording (i
am doing some voice research) and also the avg frequency above a
certain level (i want to make sure silence or background noise does
not become part of the average)?

Arny Krueger

"Bob Cain" wrote in message

Arny Krueger wrote:

A competitive product to the NJB3 is the Archos jukebox. Archos also
sells a portable mic preamp for use with their recorder. Archos also
has digital audio inputs. I have no experience with it or how it
works.

I believe it tops out at 160 kbps MP3 recording.

This site tells the story, complete with samples to listen to, and some
measurements:

http://shanebrinkmandavis.com/homepa...dioQuality.htm

Now the samples are very poorly done, right down to a supposed 44 KHz sample
that is actually a 48 KHz sample. I'll bet you can hear THAT difference!
The level matching is off by up to 1.5 dB, there's a 0.3 dB channel balance
mismatch, and the time synch is off by up to 1.36 seconds.

I fixed all of that and tried a PCABX test comparing the digital input
versus the reference. Without too much practicing I was quickly identifying
the difference at the 98% confidence level (13/16 trials correct).

Yup, not much competition for the NJB3.

Marc Heusser

Default analyzing recordings

In article ,
"Sugarite" wrote:

another question for tech audiophiles - does anyone know of any
software that can measure the most common frequency in a recording (i
am doing some voice research) and also the avg frequency above a
certain level (i want to make sure silence or background noise does
not become part of the average)?

Take a look at Amadeus (shareware), it might do what you want.
(Does Sonograms, Spectrum, Real-Time Spectrum etc).
If you need more, Mathematica might fit the bill (symbolic and numeric
math, including graphs in one system - not cheap though).

HTH

Marc

--
Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy
UrbanVoyeur

lyra 1080 with good headphones

www.urbanvoyeur.com

om...