Posted to rec.audio.tech
Racer57

Default PC Line Out/Speaker Out Distance

I would like to connect line out/speaker out to my receiver. My PC is about
20 ft away from my receiver. Is that disatnce OK to connect the two? what
gauge wire should I use?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
mc

"Racer57" wrote in message
I would like to connect line out/speaker out to my receiver. My PC is about
20 ft away from my receiver. Is that disatnce OK to connect the two? what
gauge wire should I use?

Running Line Out from your PC to a line-level input of your amplifier?

Don't use speaker wire at all; use a good-quality shielded cable.
Unfortunately, the longest cables I've found that go from a stereo 3.5-mm
plug (what your soundcard needs) to RCA plugs are only 7 feet long. You'll
need a dual RCA-plug extension cable.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Michael R. Kesti

Racer57 wrote:

I would like to connect line out/speaker out to my receiver. My PC is about
20 ft away from my receiver. Is that disatnce OK to connect the two? what
gauge wire should I use?

You'll want to use a line output rather than a speaker output. 20 feet
is not likely to be too far, although there are a couple of potential
issues. One is that you may create a "ground loop" and a significant
level of hum may result if the ground potentials at the computer and
the receiver differ sufficiently. The other is that you may experience
a loss of high frequencies if the cable has too much capacitance. You
would have to be using very poor cables for this to occur, however, so
it's not likely to be a problem.

The guage of the wire is not a significant issue because the amount of
power transfered by line connections is very small.

| two, one and one make one."
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger

"Racer57" wrote in message

I would like to connect line out/speaker out to my
receiver. My PC is about 20 ft away from my receiver. Is
that disatnce OK to connect the two?

Most consumer/game-oriented PC sound cards have very low output impedances
so that they will work fairly well with cheap headphones. That means that
they have no problems driving long signal lines.

what gauge wire should I use?

20-24 gauge should suffice. Conventional practice is to move line-level
signals over shielded wire which typically has a 20-24 gauge center
conductor. You can probably get away with unshielded cable, particularly
twisted pair, if you avoid interchanging the signal and ground wires.