Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Smith Scott Smith is offline

Default Mixing With Your Mind...

Has anyone here read this book? I'm curious what others who've read it (like
myself, although I'm still not finished) think about it? Personally, I think
it's superb.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Scott Smith wrote:
Has anyone here read this book? I'm curious what others who've read it (like
myself, although I'm still not finished) think about it? Personally, I think
it's superb.

Some discussion made the rounds back when the book was first published.
Most people were impressed, but then most of them really didn't have
much mixing experience and habits (good or bad) so it was all good,
fresh philosophy - and it's that mostly what mixing music is?
Philosophy?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Smith Scott Smith is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scott Smith wrote:
Has anyone here read this book? I'm curious what others who've read it
(like
myself, although I'm still not finished) think about it? Personally, I
think
it's superb.

Some discussion made the rounds back when the book was first published.
Most people were impressed, but then most of them really didn't have
much mixing experience and habits (good or bad) so it was all good,
fresh philosophy - and it's that mostly what mixing music is?
Philosophy?

Sure. I'll tell you what I like about the book though; the perspective it
offers on a variety of familiar topics, not strictly mixing. In fact, I
haven't even delved into the actual mixing section itself just yet, as
that's nearly at the halfway point in the bookthrough. The concepts are
astoundingly simple and don't necessarily turn conventional recording
philosophy on its head, however I've found the way he delivers his concepts
of age old recording practices offers a very new and profound understanding
that compliments what I already knew. As for the authors credibility(after
all, why should anyone care what he has to say?), it doesn't hurt that he
has recorded 11 albums with John Williams and that the Foreword for the book
was written by George Martin.

However, someone with as much extensive knowledge and experience as yourself
may be less impressed with the information, if for no other reason than you
may be completely satisfied with your current view, opinions, beliefs, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Julian Julian is offline

On 11 Sep 2006 04:48:48 -0700, "Mike Rivers"
wrote:

and it's that mostly what mixing music is?
Philosophy?

Wow interesting statement. You'd think it's results that matter but
how you get there is a wide open question. Many of us have probably
had the experience of having certain tried and true ways of working
and then you talk to someone else who has a very different way of
thinking about those same things and yet also gets good mixes.

Julian

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve Maki Steve Maki is offline

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:44:50 GMT, "Scott Smith" wrote:

Sure. I'll tell you what I like about the book though; the perspective it
offers on a variety of familiar topics, not strictly mixing. In fact, I
haven't even delved into the actual mixing section itself just yet, as
that's nearly at the halfway point in the bookthrough.

Zen and the Art of Mixer Maintenance?

Steve Maki

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas Ray Thomas is offline

I think it's great, it's become my first point of reference when I tackle
something new (as well as the guys here on r.a.p !), but it shows the guy
has a great understanding of the ear/brain interface, which is a refreshing
departure from the straight ahead theorists. It's the sort of book you'll go
back to often I predict ! Also, the author (Mike Stavrou) is accessible via
email for any clarification you might need. He's intelligent, very
down-to-earth and not opinionated.
Ray

Scott Smith wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Kyle W. Harris Kyle W. Harris is offline

I own the book and would rate it as "required reading" for anyone
seriously interested in gaining a substantive improvement in mixing skill.

Scott Smith wrote:
Has anyone here read this book? I'm curious what others who've read it (like
myself, although I'm still not finished) think about it? Personally, I think
it's superb.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ray Thomas Ray Thomas is offline

There is a good website devoted to the book, with samples from the chapters
and the contents listed and the Introduction reproduced in full. You can
order a copy from there also....visit
http://www.mixingwithyourmind.com/preview_intro.htm
and have a look around the site.
Ray