Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Cipher Cipher is offline

Default What is a good oscilloscope?

For not insane money...want to have one in the studio.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Sat, 30 May 2009 01:56:52 -0500, Cipher
wrote:

For not insane money...want to have one in the studio.

Sound cards are about as good as you will get. Just find some suitable
software.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Atsunori Tamagawa Atsunori Tamagawa is offline

Cipher wrote:
For not insane money...want to have one in the studio.

What sort of signal, and how many of them simultaneously,
do you want to observe?
And up to what amount of money are you willing to spend,
$100, $500, $1000 or even a bit more?

Atsunori
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Cipher"

** Practically any scope that is not ****ing digital.

... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
bigwig bigwig is offline

On May 30, 7:56*am, Cipher wrote:
For not insane money...want to have one in the studio.

Try and get a Tektronix if you can. If you only plan on looking at
audio you dont need an all singing and dancing 1Ghz monster. If your
prepared to repair a dead one then you really can pick up a bargain. I
got a Tek 2235 for 40 quid, it had a dead PSU but that was no trouble,
thats the thing with Tek or HP most faults are fairly well documented
and the Teks especially are easy to work on. I would recomend a Tek
465/475, 2215/2235. Digital can be good but if ts your first scope go
analogue. The advantages of digital are that you can do FFT and all
sorts of wizardry, but there are many pitfalls. Tek did an analogue/
digital scope in the 22 series (IIRC 2230) that looks quite
interesting.
Cheers Matt

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Cipher"

** Practically any scope that is not ****ing digital.

**Ah, I thought that too. Vertical resolution on most is quite poor and they
just don't work quite right. Until, that is, I attended an electronics show
last year. I found a guy flogging Agilent CROs. He showed me a nice digital
one, which he proudly proclaimed worked like an analogue one. He was right.
Of course, it was 30 Grand.......

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
GregS[_3_] GregS[_3_] is offline

In article , "Phil Allison" wrote:

"Cipher"

** Practically any scope that is not ****ing digital.

For only one scope I would want a combo CRT digital/analog.
10 bit vertical resolution would be nice. Of coures
for 4 channel differential inputs I would get an old plug-in
scope. Nice to have, I have a Tek 5000 series with 2 differential
plus 4 regular channels. It would be possible to make an LCD work
with an analog drive, but I don't think anybody makes one.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Greg****head"
Phil Allison"
"Cipher"

** Practically any scope that is not ****ing digital.

For only one scope I would want a combo CRT digital/analog.

** Huh ?

No-one gives a flying **** about your masturbation fantasies.

Read the ****ing original question before wanking off in public.

Dick wad.

...... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
mick mick is offline

On Sat, 30 May 2009 01:56:52 -0500, Cipher wrote:

For not insane money...want to have one in the studio.

Have a look round amateur radio rallys/hamfests. There are often old
analogue 10MHz and 20MHz scopes going at silly prices - providing you
don't mind going over them with some switch cleaner. I picked up a Hitachi
V-223 20MHz unit for 30ukp like that. I can recommend it simply because
all the documentation including calibration stuff is available free on the
internet and it doesn't use any custom ICs. Ok, 20MHz is a bit tame
nowadays, but it's a lot better than nothing!

--
Mick (Working in a M$-free zone!)
Web: http://www.nascom.info
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

wrote:

For not insane money...want to have one in the studio.

Sound cards are about as good as you will get. Just find some suitable
software.

Any used analog scope you can get with at least 20 MHz and two
channels, is OK for a start in audio, but do not pay too much.

Tek made the best analog scopes, for most of the time they DID make
analog scopes. But they no longer support any of their old analog
scopes, and I would not buy a Tek today for serious use.

Unfortunately the digitizing scopes are here to stay. Tek, LeCroy and
Agilent all make decent ones. If you want a new analog scope Hameg and
Iwatsu are all that's left AFAIK.