Posted to rec.audio.tech
[email protected] bob@coolgroups.com is offline

Default closed captioning for audio CDs

Why hasn't anyone come up with closed captioning for audio CDs for
when you play them on the PC?
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] Mark D. Zacharias[_2_] is offline

wrote in message
Why hasn't anyone come up with closed captioning for audio CDs for
when you play them on the PC?

There is CD-Text. Many commercial CD's and computer-burned audio CD's use
it. My Nero-burned discs use it, and read out on my Sony disc changer
display just fine.
Winamp and at least some other player programs will query an on-line
database for artist and track info, presuming the program is set up to do
that. For example, if you tell Winamp during installation that there is no
internet connection, then you won't get the CD info, but you can change that
later in the Options menu.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Larrybud Larrybud is offline

wrote in news:774bc897-a6b5-4db6-834d-1a2ade0bbd41
@s12g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Why hasn't anyone come up with closed captioning for audio CDs for
when you play them on the PC?

Can't you just read the lyrics in the liner notes?

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Why hasn't anyone come up with closed captioning for audio CDs for
when you play them on the PC?

Can't you just read the lyrics in the liner notes?

Someone *has* come up with this capability... I believe it dates back
to around 1996. It's called "CD-Text".

There are a couple of different variants of CD-Text. The one I've
seen most frequently stores only a limited amount of information in
the CD table-of-contents - typically it's things like the album and
song titles, artist, and marketing identifiers. The amount of storage
available in the TOC is limited - only around 5k bytes.

It's also possible to store other information in the subcode data of
the music tracks themselves (the R-W subcodes), and there's lots of
storage space potentially available here... around 31 megabytes.
Album lyrics or other such text is occasionally stored in this way,
and can be displayed during playback.

CD+G is another way of storing text (and simple graphics) in the
audio-track subcodes.

Only a relatively few albums have either CD-Text lyric data, or CD+G
data in the tracks. It's more common to find the table-of-contents
CD-Text information, which is sufficient to display song titles during
playback but not much more. I'd guess that there would be more discs
with more information if there were any strong consumer demand for it.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to rec.audio.tech
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

Richard Crowley said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

Very few discs (mostlySony)carry it and it is limited to
Disc name artiste and track titles.
,
Closed captions are designed for the deaf and hard of hearing and
give a detailed text description of the audio events.

Not many deaf people are into audio as a hobby.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
vlad vlad is offline

On May 8, 12:17 pm, UnsteadyKen wrote:
Richard Crowley said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

Very few discs (mostlySony)carry it and it is limited to
Disc name artiste and track titles.
,
Closed captions are designed for the deaf and hard of hearing and
give a detailed text description of the audio events.

Not many deaf people are into audio as a hobby.

I see another obvious application of CD-Text. For instance it would be
very handy to have opera subtitles displayed when you are listening to
the opera. On DVD they have subtitles all the time and it makes a
crucial difference in listening. Also other classical genres
(oratorios, vocal cycles) would benefit greatly too. Mahler's song
cycles are mach better with text. I am surprised that big guys don't
try to do DVD with the text displayed on the screen. They would sell a
lot of classical stuff again to music lovers.

vlad
Posted to rec.audio.tech
WindsorFox[_3_] WindsorFox[_3_] is offline

UnsteadyKen wrote:
Richard Crowley said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

Very few discs (mostlySony)carry it and it is limited to
Disc name artiste and track titles.

And of course you couldn't pay me to put a Sony CD in my computer now.

,
Closed captions are designed for the deaf and hard of hearing and
give a detailed text description of the audio events.

Not many deaf people are into audio as a hobby.

Must be the cost.

--

"I've also noted that a couple of my regular spammers
have pretty much switched over to phishing and 419s

"If it's from BRNIC, it's GOT to be blocked" - Buss Error

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

UnsteadyKen wrote:
Richard Crowley said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

Very few discs (mostlySony)carry it and it is limited to
Disc name artiste and track titles.
,
Closed captions are designed for the deaf and hard of hearing and
give a detailed text description of the audio events.

Not many deaf people are into audio as a hobby.

What is "Open Captioning' ?

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff Geoff is offline

Richard Crowley wrote:
wrote :
Why hasn't anyone come up with closed captioning for
audio CDs for when you play them on the PC?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD%2BG

CD+G is what they use for Karoeke CDs.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
UnsteadyKen UnsteadyKen is offline

geoff said:

What is "Open Captioning' ?

I never thought to question "closed" but there it is;
open captioning.
As explained at
http://www.washington.edu/accessit/articles?50
it appears to be for people who cannot operate closed captions.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
m...
Very few discs (mostlySony)carry it and it is limited to
Disc name artiste and track titles.

Not so, but they are the common ones.

Not many deaf people are into audio as a hobby.

Not true. I know severely deaf people who's main enjoyment is listening to
music. Their music systems are better than most peoples. Headphones do tend
to be used more often.
From my observation, when you live in a quiet world, you appreciate modern
technology's ability to provide you with some sound.
In fact many concerts use induction loops for the hearing impaired. Even
people with Cochlear implants often enjoy listening to music.
The number of people with absolutely *no* hearing ability whatsoever is a
tiny percentage of those classified as "deaf".

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.tech

Mr.T said:

Disc name artiste and track titles.

Not so, but they are the common ones.

Oops, I made the comment based on the few
discs I had come across.
Should have known I'd be wrong.
What other info can they carry?

Not many deaf people are into audio as a hobby.

Not true. I know severely deaf people who's main enjoyment is listening to
music. Their music systems are better than most peoples. Headphones do tend
to be used more often.
From my observation, when you live in a quiet world, you appreciate modern
technology's ability to provide you with some sound.
In fact many concerts use induction loops for the hearing impaired.
Even people with Cochlear implants often enjoy listening to music.
The number of people with absolutely *no* hearing ability whatsoever is
a tiny percentage of those classified as "deaf".

Yes, sorry, it was another unthinking generalisation. I should have
known better as I live in a sheltered housing complex where many of
my fellow residents use various types of hearing aids. I gave my next
door neighbour a pair of headphones which he uses for TV and radio and
is pleased with but he is uncomfortable using them as he is cut of from
ambient sounds such as doorbell, telephone, fire alarms etc. Perhaps
some sort of small mixer with an input for audio sources and one for a
microphone would help.

--
Ken

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"UnsteadyKen" wrote in message
. ..
Oops, I made the comment based on the few
discs I had come across.
Should have known I'd be wrong.
What other info can they carry?

Almost anything you like (that will fit), of course it's then up to you to
make use of it. :-)
Lack of general player support and *possible* information codes are two
seperate issues though.

Yes, sorry, it was another unthinking generalisation. I should have
known better as I live in a sheltered housing complex where many of
my fellow residents use various types of hearing aids. I gave my next
door neighbour a pair of headphones which he uses for TV and radio and
is pleased with but he is uncomfortable using them as he is cut of from
ambient sounds such as doorbell, telephone, fire alarms etc. Perhaps
some sort of small mixer with an input for audio sources and one for a
microphone would help.

IME, that simply creates a problem of increased background noise. Most
hearing impaired people have less ability to separate wanted sounds from
background noise. This is especially so when trying to understand speech in
a noisy environment, where a normal person would have little trouble.
Increasing the background noise simply results in them trying to increase
the wanted signal level to maintain some intelligibility. This has it's
limits far more so than when one can actually reduce the background noise by
not amplifying it in the first place.
A flashing light and/or louder alarm is a better solution for telephone,
door bell, etc. But open air style headphones are far better for that
purpose in any case.
Maybe yours weren't?

MrT.