Mike Schmidt

Default Comparing Echo Gina3G with the following M-Audio products...

Can someone tell me how the Gina3G compares to the following two M-Audio
devices?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_ca/Delta44-main.html
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

I fear incompatibility between the Echo and my motherboard (A8N-SLI Deluxe)
and I'm shopping for alternatives before the final verdict is officially in.

Thanks.

Papanate

Mike Schmidt wrote:

Can someone tell me how the Gina3G compares to the following two M-Audio
devices?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_ca/Delta44-main.html
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

The G3G is an *All In One* Solution for a beginning bedroom studio type. The
Delta 44 is not.
The Delta FW-410 is. What do you want and what inputs/outputs do you need?

PapaNate

Mike Schmidt

"Papanate" wrote in message

Mike Schmidt wrote:

Can someone tell me how the Gina3G compares to the following two M-Audio
devices?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_ca/Delta44-main.html
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...e410-main.html

The G3G is an *All In One* Solution for a beginning bedroom studio
type. The Delta 44 is not. The Delta FW-410 is. What do you want
and what inputs/outputs do you need?

I'm more concerned with the converters, latency, and noise level.

As for the in/outputs, as long as I have 2 ins and 2 outs (although 4 outs
would make me feel more secure) and they're not cheap-ass audio mini-plugs
like you'll find on the Audiophiles (1/4" is the bare minimum) then I'm
happy. Extra points if it can take MIDI like the Gina3G can, but since my
motherboard also provides a gameport slot for it, it's not a must-have. Same
for XLR ins. Not a *must*, but would be nice.

Like I said, the converters, latency and noise levels are my main concerns.

How does the M-Audio Firewire 410 compare to the Echo Gina3G PCI in that
respect?

PS: Echo Support just told me to try another PCI slot on my motherboard, and
if that doesn't work, I'm S.O.O.L... nice. I'll try tonight when I get back
home, but I fear that I'm screwed. Hope the store takes the Gina back.

Papanate

Mike Schmidt wrote:

How does the M-Audio Firewire 410 compare to the Echo Gina3G PCI in that
respect?

All about the same specs between the two.

PS: Echo Support just told me to try another PCI slot on my motherboard, and
if that doesn't work, I'm S.O.O.L... nice.

Well not exactly. See my other post in your thread about dumping the Gina, you
have more than a few options. Most likely scenario here is there is some
conflict between the on-board games stuff and the Gina.

I'll try tonight when I get back
home, but I fear that I'm screwed. Hope the store takes the Gina back.

Most of the stores, online and otherwise will take the boards back. Some will
charge a restocking fee. If you are going to go that route call up M-Audio, Echo
and RME and ask them specifically about your motherboard and their cards.

PapaNate

Mike Schmidt

"Papanate" wrote in message
Mike Schmidt wrote:

How does the M-Audio Firewire 410 compare to the Echo Gina3G PCI in that
respect?

All about the same specs between the two.

Is there any advantage/drawback going from PCI to Firewire (which is what
I'd be doing by dropping Echo and switching to M-Audio's Firewire 410).

As for contacting Echo, like I said, I've already done that. I will,
however, contact M-Audio before buying anything of theirs, to not make the
same mistake again.

james

Mike Schmidt wrote:

Is there any advantage/drawback going from PCI to Firewire (which is what
I'd be doing by dropping Echo and switching to M-Audio's Firewire 410).

Since the firewire controller is itself a PCI device, firewire can
deliver, at best, some fraction of PCI throughput.

The advantages of using Firewire include matters of convenience, power
supply, cable length, hot-pluggability, and so on.

Mike Schmidt

"james" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Schmidt wrote:

Is there any advantage/drawback going from PCI to Firewire (which is what
I'd be doing by dropping Echo and switching to M-Audio's Firewire 410).

Since the firewire controller is itself a PCI device, firewire can
deliver, at best, some fraction of PCI throughput.

The advantages of using Firewire include matters of convenience, power
supply, cable length, hot-pluggability, and so on.

Oh! That makes sense.

Would I notice any difference in latency settings in Sonar by switching to
firewire?

Joe Kesselman

The advantages of using Firewire include matters of convenience, power
supply, cable length, hot-pluggability, and so on.

Another advantage is that it puts the audio circuitry farther away from
the computer's digital switching, which may keep some noise from getting
coupled into the system.

Another possible advantage might be that it lets you put the converter
closer to the signal source, getting into the digital domain sooner and
again avoiding some noise risks.

Another possible advantage, depending on the device, may be portability
between operating systems. It may be easier to find Linux drivers for
external boxes than for things which plug directly into the bus, for
example, just because the protocol tends to be better documented.
Norbert Hahn

"Mike Schmidt" wrote:

Like I said, the converters, latency and noise levels are my main concerns.

How does the M-Audio Firewire 410 compare to the Echo Gina3G PCI in that
respect?

Looking at the specs of M-Audio FW 410: signal-to-noise ratio: 107 dB
that about 18 true bits. Nothing is said if this is for output, input,
or both.

The Gina3G specs are 114 dB output, 110 dB input, thus 19 bits for output,
18 bits for input.

Most likely you won't hear a big difference.

Norbert