Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mort Mort is offline

Default Problem With Audio SD Card; Need Advice Please

Hi,

I recorded a piano recital, with permission, and ran into a problem that
I never had before. The music is on an SD card, WAV, 16 bit, 44.1 khz =
CD book specs, and it plays back directly in my Windows PC. The card is
a SanDisk 8 GB. regular card, a type that I never had trouble with in
over 200 recordings.

However, none of the tracks will copy to my "music" file on my hard
drive, not in 3 different computers. Each track copies about half way,
and then hangs up.

Is there any way, either by myself or through a music tech person, that
I could get this recital burned to a CD-R?

Any advice or referrals would be greatly appreciated. I am in the New
York City area.

Thank you.

Mort Linder
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mort Mort is offline

Mort wrote:
Hi,

I recorded a piano recital, with permission, and ran into a problem that
I never had before. The music is on an SD card, WAV, 16 bit, 44.1 khz =
CD book specs, and it plays back directly in my Windows PC. The card is
a SanDisk 8 GB. regular card, a type that I never had trouble with in
over 200 recordings.

However, none of the tracks will copy to my "music" file on my hard
drive, not in 3 different computers. Each track copies about half way,
and then hangs up.

Is there any way, either by myself or through a music tech person, that
I could get this recital burned to a CD-R?

Any advice or referrals would be greatly appreciated. I am in the New
York City area.

Thank you.

Mort Linder

Hi,

I stumbled across a Windows repair program already on my hard drive,
that works on individual folders,and applied it to my defective SD card.
It worked beautifully, allowing all the music to transfer to my hard
drive and thence to burn a CD-R. The only remaining problem is a few
very brief skips that most people would probably not notice.

Mort
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Mort wrote:
Hi,

I recorded a piano recital, with permission, and ran into a problem that
I never had before. The music is on an SD card, WAV, 16 bit, 44.1 khz =
CD book specs, and it plays back directly in my Windows PC. The card is
a SanDisk 8 GB. regular card, a type that I never had trouble with in
over 200 recordings.

However, none of the tracks will copy to my "music" file on my hard
drive, not in 3 different computers. Each track copies about half way,
and then hangs up.

Is there any way, either by myself or through a music tech person, that
I could get this recital burned to a CD-R?

How long is the recording? If the WAV file is larger than 2 GB,
there are a number of "music" programs that have a bug in them
that will prevent them from opening or otherwise managing a WAV
file.

The bug exists because the WAV spec defines the maximum chunk
size as a 32-bit UNsigned integer (which means it can be up
to 4 gB), but an awful lot of programs use SIGNED 32-bit integers,
which allow only 2 GB maximum.

THis may or may not be your issue: but if the file is VERY large,
it could be this is your problem.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Mort Mort is offline

Dick Pierce wrote:
Mort wrote:
[...]

Hi Dick,

The program is about 82 minutes (at CD book specs), and after
correcting, I needed to burn to 2 CD-Rs as it just did not fit onto one.
However, I have recorded many concerts that ran longer than this, with
no problems. The only other factor is that this was my first recording
with an 8 GB SDHC card. I previously used cards up to 4 GB, but now the
8 GB costs less than the 4 GB. In my recordings, I can get 3 hours of
music on a 2GB card, so I did not exceed that 2 GB threshold.

I am hoping that I just had one single bad SD card, but time will tell.

Thank you for your interesting post.

Mort