Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment
Trevor Trevor is offline

Default earbuds

"Winston" wrote in message
Casting a piston to the inside of the ear
canal and then removing it is gonna cause
a significant vacuum. Sounds painful, at least.
At worst, a burst eardrum and inner ear
infection? Ewww!

Nope, that's how ear moulds are made for hearing aids, and custom fitted
IEM's. Of course one should probably know what they are doing before
attempting it.

Trevor.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment
Naomi Price Naomi Price is offline

On Mon, 15 Aug 2011 15:37:36 -0400, Phil Hobbs
wrote:

Winston wrote:
Phil Hobbs wrote:

(...)

One approach would be to make a casting of the outer part of your ear
canal with something like ShapeLok. I've been meaning to try that myself.

One would want to cast around a hollow plastic tube
to vent air back into the canal in order to avoid
an ER visit to remove the finished casting...

--Winston

I wasn't suggesting pushing it all the way down to the eardrum, silly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Doesn't matter. A half a gram of media is enough to rip your eardrum
if you are pulling a vacuum on it as you draw out the casting. Even if
it only goes half way in.

Good call, Winston.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment

"Trevor" wrote in message

"Winston" wrote in message
Casting a piston to the inside of the ear
canal and then removing it is gonna cause
a significant vacuum. Sounds painful, at least.
At worst, a burst eardrum and inner ear
infection? Ewww!

Nope, that's how ear moulds are made for hearing aids, and custom fitted
IEM's. Of course one should probably know what they are doing before
attempting it.

It appears that a critical step is blocking the ear canal with a cotton ball
that has a thread attached to it so that you can pull it back out easily and
reliably.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment
Winston[_2_] Winston[_2_] is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
Casting a piston to the inside of the ear
canal and then removing it is gonna cause
a significant vacuum. Sounds painful, at least.
At worst, a burst eardrum and inner ear
infection? Ewww!

Nope, that's how ear moulds are made for hearing aids, and custom fitted
IEM's. Of course one should probably know what they are doing before
attempting it.

It appears that a critical step is blocking the ear canal with a cotton ball
that has a thread attached to it so that you can pull it back out easily and
reliably.

Trevor and Arny, I guess that means there is a large
enough air pocket in the canal that a dangerous level
of vacuum is not attained. This will be what I learned
today.

--Winston
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment

"Winston" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
Casting a piston to the inside of the ear
canal and then removing it is gonna cause
a significant vacuum. Sounds painful, at least.
At worst, a burst eardrum and inner ear
infection? Ewww!

Nope, that's how ear moulds are made for hearing aids, and custom fitted
IEM's. Of course one should probably know what they are doing before
attempting it.

It appears that a critical step is blocking the ear canal with a cotton
ball
that has a thread attached to it so that you can pull it back out easily
and
reliably.

Trevor and Arny, I guess that means there is a large
enough air pocket in the canal that a dangerous level
of vacuum is not attained. This will be what I learned
today.

Until I understood the process a whole lot better than I do, I would retain
the services of professional who is trained and experienced in doing this
kind of thing.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech,alt.audio.equipment

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

That makes sense.

I was aiming for a visceral understanding of the physics
rather than a 'how to' guide.

--Winston

Earbuds? [email protected] Pro Audio 8 March 19th 08 09:58 PM
Using Consumer Earbuds mcp6453 Pro Audio 3 October 18th 07 06:10 PM
Earbuds break [email protected] Tech 0 January 28th 07 05:31 AM
Wireless earbuds [email protected] Audio Opinions 4 September 8th 06 07:05 AM
looking for good earbuds John b General 0 March 16th 04 12:10 AM