musicmanbob musicmanbob is offline
Junior Member

Location: GEORGIA
Smile Otari MX 50 or 55 SPOOLING OPTION

Good morning all,

Does anyone here know whether the Otari 50 or 55 have the "spooling" option? I know the Tascam 40 and 50 series has this ability. Thanks in advance for all comments.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Otari MX 50 or 55 SPOOLING OPTION

On Wed, 23 May 2012 05:45:15 -0700, musicmanbob wrote
(in article ):

Good morning all,

Does anyone here know whether the Otari 50 or 55 have the "spooling"option? I

know the Tascam 40 and 50 series has this ability. Thanks inadvance for all
comments.

bob-- musicmanbob

Not sure I know what you mean by "spooling option", but I have an MX5050 and
it has a very fast FF and RW. If by spooling you mean the ability to spool
directly from one reel to the other without the tape being threaded over the
heads, any 3-motor transport will do that. You just have to hold the "broken
tape" lever up by hand, or use a rubber band to keep it from cutting off the
motors. I don't recommend this method of spooling however. Without the tape
guides to keep the tape evenly spooled, you get a jagged 'edge' to the pack
leading to edge curl on the tape which is not good for the tape and may,
after long storage, compromise tape to head contact.

Audio_Empire

musicmanbob musicmanbob is offline
Junior Member

Location: GEORGIA
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Empire View Post
[...]

Hello Audio Empire and thank you for responding. What I actually mean by spooling is the ability of the tape deck to re-wind the tape at a slower rate 1/2 speed. This permits the tape to pack on the reel evenly and not too tight. Otherwise, I now have to leave my tapes "tails out". The Tascam 42 has the "spooling" option. When the re-wind button is pressed the tape re-winds at high speed. When the re-wind button is pressed a second time the tape deck slows down to about 1/2 speed and promises a much more even tape pack,. I hope I have made things a little clearer. Thanks again for your response sir.

bob

Last edited by musicmanbob : May 24th 12 at 01:55 AM Reason: Clarity
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 23 May 2012 17:50:28 -0700, musicmanbob wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire;957183 Wrote: On Wed, 23 May 2012 05:45:15 -0700, musicmanbob
wrote
(in article ):
-
[...]

Well my 5050 certainlt doesn't allow for this, but I fully understand the
concept and the advantages of an evenly wound tape spool - especially for
storage purpose.

Aardsync 2x option? Dave Pro Audio 0 November 6th 07 12:25 AM
Best A/D Option.... Steve[_3_] Pro Audio 1 September 27th 07 02:01 PM
UPDATE: Otari MX-55/Otari tech needed in Chicago suburbs Tom Jancauskas Pro Audio 0 November 26th 06 04:11 PM
Best upgrade option? j. Audio Opinions 20 June 25th 06 12:19 AM
WTB: Apogee AES option for A/D16 Michael Cogan Pro Audio 0 December 14th 04 10:28 PM