Posted to rec.audio.car
mike

Default what happens when...

hey i am wondering what will happen if i hook up, 8 Pioneer Premier
TS-A941P speakers to a Power Acoustik OV2-1600 amp... 4 speakers per
channel... what will each speaker put out? and does this hurt the
speakers or amp?

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

A TERRIBLE EXPLOSION WILL OCCUR WITH MUCH LOSS OF LIFE!!!!!!

Actually, you CANNOT do what you are describing as that amp is only 2 ohm
stable per channel. Were you to connect four of those speakers to each
channel that would present a one ohm load, which would fry your amp (or more
likely immidiately put into protection-mode and shut it down).

You can connect two of those speakers per channel however, for a total of
four speakers. My guess is that would still be quite a bit of sound.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

what is the impedence of the speakers, and what are the ratings on the
amp?

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

what is the impedence of the speakers, and what are the ratings on the
amp?

Look it up. I did to answer this guy's question.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
mike

that actually helps alot... how do i figure out how many ohms a bunch
of speakers represents?
MOSFET wrote:
what is the impedence of the speakers, and what are the ratings on the
amp?

Look it up. I did to answer this guy's question.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

well i guess you're better than me then.

I suppose I just think it's good for a guy to find out a little about
his equipment for himself.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

But you forgot the series-parallel rule. The OP can do it.

4X4ohm drivers in Series paralell=4 ohms Do that per channel and the amp
will work easy....

Each speaker will see 77.5W which is 2.5W shy of it's rated power.

Chad

"MOSFET" wrote in message
what is the impedence of the speakers, and what are the ratings on the
amp?

Look it up. I did to answer this guy's question.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

And after you learn all the below.... here's a good calculator!

http://colomar.com/Shavano/impedance_proc.php

Brandonb
- sorry, had to.

I. Care wrote:

Speakers can be wired in series and/or parallel combinations I believe.
Not sure how well series/parallel combinations perform volume wise but
their load on the amp is predictable.

Speakers in series using simple resistance are added together

R(t) = R(1) + R(2) + R(3) + etc.

So for series connections 8ohm + 8ohm = R(t) = 16ohm

- (Spkr#1) + to - (Spkr#2) +
| |
| |
neg Sig pos

Speakers/resistances in parallel 1/R(t)= 1/R(1)+ 1/R(2) or

1
---------------- = R(t)
1/R(1) + 1/R(2)

So two 8ohm spkrs in parallel

1
--------------- = R(t) = 4ohm
1/8ohm + 1/8ohm

- (Spkr#1) +
| |
- (Spkr#2) +
| |
| |
neg sig pos

So 2 8ohm series speakers = 16ohm but when placed in parallel with 2
more 8ohm speakers is:

1
------------------------- = 3.2ohm
1/16ohm + 1/8ohm + 1/8ohm

Hope that doesn't confuse you too much, and that my simple graphics are
readable.....

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Geez, I. Care wins the prize for the Most Comprehensive Answer Given.

Not surprising as we are dealing with a past IASCA legend...

To the OP, you should also check out our FAQ (this is my stock advice to
many a poster) at: http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

Good Luck,

MOSFET

"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...
In article om,
says...
MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
mike

and that little rule... if i come up with a system that come out to 4
ohms, does that apply to one channel or the whole amp? for example, can
i design a system that has mult speakers that come out to 4 ohms on
channel 1, and then another system that come out to four ohms on
channel 2?

"MOSFET" wrote in message
what is the impedence of the speakers, and what are the ratings on the
amp?

Look it up. I did to answer this guy's question.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
mike

that actually halped me a lot.... now one final question and i will
leave you all alone haha... lets take that example again (4 speakers
wired up per channel (lets say 8 speakers on the amp total) what is the
wattage they will each pump out?.... after that question is answered i
think you should all get paid per hour cause you people are great...
-Mike
I. Care wrote:
In article .com,
says...
and that little rule... if i come up with a system that come out to 4
ohms, does that apply to one channel or the whole amp? for example, can
i design a system that has mult speakers that come out to 4 ohms on
channel 1, and then another system that come out to four ohms on
channel 2?

SNIP

That is the load per amp output/channel. Your amp is 4ohm per channel
stable. So if you are going to run 2 channels (stereo) you want your
combined speaker impedance to be 4ohms per channel.

As Chad said since your speakers are 4ohm you need to wire 2 sets of 2
speakers in series, then put those 2 sets in parallel with each other.

Wire speaker #1 pos to speaker #2 neg, speaker #3 pos to speaker #4 neg,
this gives you 2 sets of series speakers, then connect speaker #1 neg to
speaker #3 neg and speaker #2 pos to speaker #4 pos, this gives you each
set of 2 connected in parallel. That gives you 4 speakers used each
channel with an impedance of 4ohms each channel.

Then connect the amp to the neg and pos ends of the 4 speaker set for
each channel output.

- spkr#1 + to - spkr#2 +
- spkr#3 + to - spkr#4 +

neg signal pos

A couple of the references provided in earlier posts shows diagrams of
this type configuration I think.

--
I. Care

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

No, I live on Camano Island, near Whidbey.
Nick
"I. Care" wrote in message
.net...
In article ,
says...
Geez, I. Care wins the prize for the Most Comprehensive Answer Given.

Not surprising as we are dealing with a past IASCA legend...

To the OP, you should also check out our FAQ (this is my stock advice to
many a poster) at:
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/

Good Luck,

MOSFET

SNIP

I also have 30+ years electronics experience, but I forgot most of it.
You at Whidbey? I worked my last 15yrs as an electronics supervisor at
PSNS.

--
I. Care