Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Default Bret Ludwig exposed as a poser on the test bench!

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip

An old trick, that I can't remember when I was first told about,
is to trigger the scope from the clean sinewave. You thus
get consistent triggering and can view the THD+N residual
without it jumping about. This is most useful with storage
'scopes, and is how I produce the traces that you can
see, for example, in figs.9 & 10 at
http://www.stereophile.com/tubepower...tl/index4.html

When John Atkinson posts technical information that is concise,
helpful, and practical and usable and Arny can only crow emotionally
about how I haven't spent YEARS, unkike himself, doing something that
was incidental in the first place, you know the world is not as it
first seems!

I find Atkinson's unfamiliarity with the process of looking at Lissajou
patterns at the output of a THD analyzer to be quite revealing. I'll
admit
it, I learned quite a bit about using THD analyzers at MacIntosh clinics
during the late 1950s. It worked well for me until the late 1990s when I
switched over to primarily using FFT analyzers.

I've never seen THD examined as a Lissajous.

It's one of the oldest tricks around.

Lissajous patterns also facilitate manually balancing the THD analyzer's
bridge. The frequency dial reduces the display in the vertical direction,
and the balance control reduces the loopiness. The hand-and-eye coordination
comes pretty quick.

AFAIK I learned the trick at a Mac Clinic in the late 1950s. The learning
curve was pretty quick - I looked over the tech's shoulder, saw the
Lissajous pattern on the scope and how well it worked, and thought "Oh!".
;-)

I'm sure Dave O'Brien would have explained it.

What do you use to drive the timebase input ( assuming it's even
available ).

Lissajous = X/Y

IOW you don't use a time base, you use the output of the oscillator for X
and the output of the bridge for Y.

That's one of the other advantages - you never need to diddle with the sweep
controls on the scope, unless you really want to look at the display with a
time base. Since the Lissajous pattern brings out the order the predominate
distortion so well, you may never want to go back to using the time base in
this application again.

It may well be a good test procedure, I just hadn't done it.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Pooh Bear wrote:
snip

Not all scopes have an Ext X input of course too.

That's one of the other advantages - you never need to diddle with the sweep
controls on the scope, unless you really want to look at the display with a
time base. Since the Lissajous pattern brings out the order the predominate
distortion so well, you may never want to go back to using the time base in
this application again.

Z axis is optional, X-Y is pretty near universal, usually the ext
trigger or a particular channel input doubles with a switch selection.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Bret Ludwig

Arny Krueger wrote:
snip
I completely stopped using my THD analyzer about 5 years ago when
readily-available sound cards got "good enough".

Boy are all those VME/VXI and CompactPCI vendor customers of Agilent
and Aeroflex dumb. Paying all that moneyu for what regualer old
commodisumo peecees do as well!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger

Default The Amazing Arnie

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:

snip

If the kitty-cat knows that you always serve it cream in a blue bowl,
then
it will come to you when you place a blue bowl before it. If the you
place a
blue bowl in front the kitty-cat and it does not come, then it must not
know
that you always serve it cream in a blue bowl.

I think cats are colorblind.

Actually, as any person who is experienced with cats can tell you, cats are
notoriously hard to train. Any behavioral experiment on cats is therefore
going to be troublesome. Nevertheless, some scientists have gone to the
trouble (probably with government money) and found that not only do cats
have the basic equipment for sensing color, they actually can distinguish
color.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

The tech might have been Dave O., but the point is that he didn't need to
explain it to me.

Since you know his name and he was around a lot, you've probably seen him
work. This begs the question why you didn't learn the trick from him? The
answer is obvious - you probably didn't know a Lissajou figure from a warm
hole in the ground, so it was all over your head.

What do you use to drive the timebase input ( assuming it's even
available ).

Lissajous = X/Y

I was shaking my head as I typed this. Lissajous patterns were one of the
reasons why and how the oscilliscope was invented. *Every* (well almost
every) electronics and physics book covered them back in the days that the
dinosaurs roamed the earth and Edison was still alive. Not that I ever saw
Edison alive...

IOW you don't use a time base, you use the output of the oscillator for X
and the output of the bridge for Y.

That's one of the other advantages - you never need to diddle with the
sweep
controls on the scope, unless you really want to look at the display with
time base. Since the Lissajous pattern brings out the order the
predominate
distortion so well, you may never want to go back to using the time base
in
this application again.

It may well be a good test procedure, I just hadn't done it.

Nahh *Bret*, you've been flat on your feet through this whole thread. It's
obviously all new to you. Stick to dropping names and making personal
attacks - it's what you are good at! ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
George Middius

Bertie said to the Big ****:

If the kitty-cat knows that you always serve it cream in a blue bowl, then
it will come to you when you place a blue bowl before it.

I think cats are colorblind.

Stop trying to confuse the Krooborg with facts. Mr. **** is deep into his
"debating trade" frenzy and he can't be bothered with reality until he's
finished. And in case you didn't know, the "debate" is finished when everybody
else gives up and stops replying to the Krooborg's verbal turds.

..
..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

Arny Krueger wrote:
"John Atkinson" wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
I find Atkinson's unfamiliarity with the process of looking at Lissajou
patterns at the output of a THD analyzer to be quite revealing.

Frankly, I find it astonishing given the fact that I have not discussed
Lissajou figures at all. Your mindreading abilities continue to amaze
me, Mr. Krueger :-)

Actually, it takes no mind reading at all. If someone has every used a THD
analyzer with a scope running in X/Ymode, or as one might say in Lissajou
mode, they'd have a hard time keeping quiet about it unless they were really
just plain really afraid to post. Since your posting patterns are shall I
say known, the rest is simple logic.

John Atkinson is right. This is amazing. Let's translate what Arny
Krueger says into plain English:

Arny sez: "Mr Atkinson didn't tell me about lissajous, so he doesn't
know about lissajous."

This is the equivalent of:

Arny sez: "Mr Atkinson didn't tell me where to buy the best fennel, so
it is clear he can't cook."

Where were you educated. Krueger? Take a tip, man. Read your Bible a
little. Notice how action and consequence are directly connected. It is
called logic. Anyone who pretends to be an engineer, as you do, should
demonstrate better logic than to claim that, because someone doesn't
volunteer information, he is ignorant.

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Letsee if I can explain the logic to you John, in words that you can
understand.

If the kitty-cat knows that you always serve it cream in a blue bowl, then
it will come to you when you place a blue bowl before it. If the you place a
blue bowl in front the kitty-cat and it does not come, then it must not know
that you always serve it cream in a blue bowl.

Get it now? ;-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

No it's not as simple as your mind is limited to thinking about, Jute.

It's more like "Mr. Atkinson didn't mention using a funnel to fill jars when
someone asked about how to fill jars, and I'm surprised that I had to be the
one to point the funnel method out".

As I pointed out in another post, Lissajou patterns are one of the reasons
why oscilloscopes became popular test equipment. They were covered by the
first year engineering course at the university I attended, and they were
covered in the introductory electronics class that the Army put me through.
Good thing, because Lissajou patterns were one of the few things that the
basic Army/Navy oscilloscope of the day (OS-8) could accurately display.
;-)

http://jproc.ca/rrp/emr_bcase_l.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Andre Jute" wrote in message
oups.com...

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

Point to the post where you asked Mr Atkinson to tell you how to fill
the jar.

I never cease to be amazed by your continual desperate casting around
to find someone who knows less than you do about some tiny matter.
Isn't there anyone in all the world, Arny. who loves you for yourself?

Andre Jute
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information
for the tube audio constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site
containing vital gems of wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

As I pointed out in another post, Lissajou patterns are one of the reasons
why oscilloscopes became popular test equipment. They were covered by the
first year engineering course at the university I attended, and they were
covered in the introductory electronics class that the Army put me through.
Good thing, because Lissajou patterns were one of the few things that the
basic Army/Navy oscilloscope of the day (OS-8) could accurately display.
;-)

http://jproc.ca/rrp/emr_bcase_l.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
RapidRonnie

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

A pretty good guess would be that since Dave had a 40+ year career,
when Bret saw him he wasn't using them anymore. When I saw him the last
time he didn't have a scope, only four Sound Technology boxes in road
cases.

Dave has written a book on his experiences, which appears tro be
available only through Audio Classics in Walton, NY.

What do you use to drive the timebase input ( assuming it's even
available ).

Lissajous = X/Y

I was shaking my head as I typed this. Lissajous patterns were one of the
reasons why and how the oscilliscope was invented. *Every* (well almost
every) electronics and physics book covered them back in the days that the
dinosaurs roamed the earth and Edison was still alive. Not that I ever saw
Edison alive...

No, Lissajous patterns were a very useful application for the scope,
but it wasn't invented for that reason. However, very few people use
L-pats for very much anymore. They were primarily used for frequency
comparisons, not purity of signal.

As an earlier poster said, a great deal of things were done using
scopes as qualitative devices, looking at shapes and patterns such as
Lissajous figures, AM mod envelopes, CW keying, and "haystack"
displays of bandpass with sweep generators-a crude form of network
analyzer. And as component testers along the lines of the Huntron
Tracker.

After Vollum, oscilloscopes were viewed more and more as precision,
quantitative devices. When you had spectrum analyzers, distortion
analyzers, vector and scalar network analyzers and logic and signature
analyzers (in the earlier sense of digital pattern recognition and not
as Huntron has misappropriated the term currently) you didn't need
lashups with scopes and peopple largely forgot the old methods. Since
the electronic service industry is dead and with it the need for
non-highly-financed organizations to do serious electronic test
procedures the old skills have, largely, died out.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
.. .

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Surely you jest! If you think my posts are coarse Iain, I can't imagine
what you think of those very many profanity-filled missives that fill
Usenet.

just like the ones in which you falsely accused numerous individuals of
sending you kiddie porn via email.

Prove that the accusations were false, if you can.

For starters, I'll refer to your own posts, the ones
where you claim you talked to MSP detectives who
told you the images were not kiddie porn.
I have to admit though, that those posts were just more
of your lies. You never got any porn eamail from anyone here,
there never was any kiddie prone sent to you, or porn of any kind,
and, therefore, you never had any such discussions woth the MSP.
The header information you supplied regarding you supplied was shown to have
been forged.
At any rate, you offered no proof regarding the content od the purported
emails.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

I am. For one thing unlike your posts Iain, my posts are truthful and
sincere unless presented as humor.

Now 'that' was funny!.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Clyde Slick

. ..

Arny Krueger wrote:
I find Atkinson's unfamiliarity with the process of looking at Lissajou
patterns at the output of a THD analyzer to be quite revealing.

Frankly, I find it astonishing given the fact that I have not discussed
Lissajou figures at all. Your mindreading abilities continue to amaze
me, Mr. Krueger :-)

Actually, it takes no mind reading at all. If someone has every used a THD
analyzer with a scope running in X/Ymode, or as one might say in Lissajou
mode, they'd have a hard time keeping quiet about it unless they were
really just plain really afraid to post. Since your posting patterns are
shall I say known, the rest is simple logic.

Since you haven't been talking lately about receiving kiddie porn email,
we'll asume you are getting them by the boatload. Since your posting
patterns are shall I
say known, the rest is simple logic.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
John Atkinson

Arny Krueger wrote:
"Mr. Atkinson didn't mention using a funnel to fill jars when
someone asked about how to fill jars, and I'm surprised that I had to be the
one to point the funnel method out".

More mind reading :-)

Arny Kreuger is like an astable multivibrator: a tiny, even imaginary
stimulus
and off he goes, generating an indefinite, infinitely prolonged output!
(At least
until someone else in his house needs to use the computer :-)

John Atkinson
Editor, Funnelophile

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Warm Blue Glow

From: "John Atkinson"
Date: 20 Jan 2006 16:52:26 -0800

John Atkinson
Editor, Funnelophile

So Arny was right: You really *do* know a lot about funnels. By your
silence millions have not filled their jars using the secretive 'funnel
method' that you could have taught to them.

Because of your silence, there have probably been dozens of
honey-and-vegetable-oil-on-the-kitchen-floor mishaps, with resultant
mess and slick floors, possibly resulting in broken limbs and ended
marriages. Maybe even shattered hopes and dreams, even.

Hundreds of people could right now be using alcohol or drugs to soften
the pain that you, and only you, could have helped them avoid by
teaching them the 'funnel method' of jar filling. . Does knowing that
you have helped create alcoholics and drug addicts (and I've just
proven that you have) make you feel any remorse?

One would hope that you have learned a strong lesson, Mr. Atkinson. One
would hope that when the topic of funnels comes up again you will share
your expertise. As I've shown logically, the results of your silence
have been catastrophic to many, many lives.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
dave weil

On 20 Jan 2006 10:05:42 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

This is the equivalent of:

Arny sez: "Mr Atkinson didn't tell me where to buy the best fennel, so
it is clear he can't cook."

No it's not as simple as your mind is limited to thinking about, Jute.

It's more like "Mr. Atkinson didn't mention using a funnel to fill jars when
someone asked about how to fill jars, and I'm surprised that I had to be the
one to point the funnel method out".

Point to the post where you asked Mr Atkinson to tell you how to fill
the jar.

I never cease to be amazed by your continual desperate casting around
to find someone who knows less than you do about some tiny matter.
Isn't there anyone in all the world, Arny. who loves you for yourself?

It's pretty obvious that Arnold thought he was responding to your
"typo", probably not knowing what fennel is in the first place. In
fact, fennel has probably not ever crossed his lips, since you usually
don't find it on a ham and cheese sandwich.

That's what makes his bizarre analogy quite hilarious.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Clyde Slick

"dave weil" wrote in message
On 20 Jan 2006 10:05:42 -0800, "Andre Jute" wrote:

It's pretty obvious that Arnold thought he was responding to your
"typo", probably not knowing what fennel is in the first place. In
fact, fennel has probably not ever crossed his lips, since you usually
don't find it on a ham and cheese sandwich.

That's what makes his bizarre analogy quite hilarious.

Kellogg's doesn't make fennel flavored corn flakes?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
George M. Middius

Clyde Slick said:

It's pretty obvious that Arnold thought he was responding to your
"typo", probably not knowing what fennel is in the first place. In
fact, fennel has probably not ever crossed his lips, since you usually
don't find it on a ham and cheese sandwich.

Kellogg's doesn't make fennel flavored corn flakes?

Here's what Arnii puts on his corn flakes instead of fruit:

http://www.typetive.com/blogimages/blackjack-lg.jpg

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

From: "John Atkinson"
Date: 20 Jan 2006 16:52:26 -0800

John Atkinson
[...]

ROTFLOL.

Come again, Artyguy. You lift the spirits...

....all the way to the funnel!

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

George M. Middius wrote:
Clyde Slick said:

It's pretty obvious that Arnold thought he was responding to your
"typo", probably not knowing what fennel is in the first place. In
fact, fennel has probably not ever crossed his lips, since you usually
don't find it on a ham and cheese sandwich.

Kellogg's doesn't make fennel flavored corn flakes?

Here's what Arnii puts on his corn flakes instead of fruit:

http://www.typetive.com/blogimages/blackjack-lg.jpg

I don't get this. Why doesn't Krueger just get a mouthwash? Or is this
the same old story, that no one likes Krueger enough to tell him the
awful truth?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

dave weil wrote:
[...]

Actually, I think it makes it sad, Dave, as further proof that there is
no one in the world who cares enough about Arny "I spoke in ignorance"
Krueger to lay out his cheese and ham sandwich nicely on a plate with a
bit of fennel for garnish.

Andre Jute

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Andre Jute

Ignore the envious bleating from the cramped crapola merchant in the
peanut gallery. -- AJ

The crooked garage trader Jon Yaeger wrote:

in article , Warm Blue
Glow at

From: "John Atkinson"
Date: 20 Jan 2006 16:52:26 -0800

John Atkinson
[...]

That's great, artguy.

Next time, please remove rec.audio.tubes from your reply to list. You're
way too brilliant for us.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
George M. Middius

Andre Jute said:

Kellogg's doesn't make fennel flavored corn flakes?

Here's what Arnii puts on his corn flakes instead of fruit:
http://www.typetive.com/blogimages/blackjack-lg.jpg

I don't get this. Why doesn't Krueger just get a mouthwash? Or is this
the same old story, that no one likes Krueger enough to tell him the
awful truth?

Krooger does know the truth, but when he tried to order funnel-flavored
mouthwash, they hung up on him.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Arny Krueger

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
.. .

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
.. .

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Surely you jest! If you think my posts are coarse Iain, I can't imagine
what you think of those very many profanity-filled missives that fill
Usenet.

just like the ones in which you falsely accused numerous individuals of
sending you kiddie porn via email.

Prove that the accusations were false, if you can.

For starters, I'll refer to your own posts, the ones
where you claim you talked to MSP detectives who
told you the images were not kiddie porn.

Sorry Arty but you can't use my posts as authority, since you say I always
lie.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.tubes
Clyde Slick

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
.. .

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
.. .

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Surely you jest! If you think my posts are coarse Iain, I can't
imagine what you think of those very many profanity-filled missives
that fill Usenet.

just like the ones in which you falsely accused numerous individuals of
sending you kiddie porn via email.

Prove that the accusations were false, if you can.

For starters, I'll refer to your own posts, the ones
where you claim you talked to MSP detectives who
told you the images were not kiddie porn.

Sorry Arty but you can't use my posts as authority, since you say I always
lie.

Let's try and untwist your Kroologic.
Did you lie when you said you spoke to MSP, or did you lie when you said the
MSP told you your pictures were nont kiddie porn, or did you lie when you
wer saying you had any prno pictures at all, or did you lie when you
accused a variety of other people of sending he pictures to you, or
did you lie when you said you ever got any porn pictures at all, or
do you want to start a new lie and deny that you ever accused
those people at all.

Question for McIntosh buffs [email protected] Audio Opinions 92 January 22nd 06 12:00 AM
ALL amps are equal?? Pug Fugley Car Audio 60 August 17th 04 03:33 AM
audio coax cable JYC High End Audio 239 January 18th 04 08:12 PM
Mechanic blames amplifier for alternator failing?? Help>>>>>>>>>>> SHRED© Car Audio 57 December 13th 03 10:24 AM
Richman's ethical lapses Michael McKelvy Audio Opinions 9 December 12th 03 08:16 AM