Arny Krueger

Default Speakers that sound good throughout the room

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

I think that wide-dispersion is the technical term for
speakers which sound good throughout the room rather than
being sensitive to listener placement. (please correct me
if I am wrong.)

Whether or not music sounds good throughout a room is
probably more a function of the room than the speaker.

In many rooms there is no such thing as a speaker that
sounds good throughout it.

In some rooms, there is no place where any speaker sounds
good.

I would like to know what to look for so
that I can best find speakers which excel at sounding
good throughout a medium sized room.

In order for a room to have a uniform sound field within it
with a single pair of speakers as the source, the room has
to be highly reverberent. Most people don't want that much
echo with their music.

I think you're looking for either highly compromised sound,
or the impossible.

Ethan Winer

Arny,

Whether or not music sounds good throughout a room is
probably more a function of the room than the speaker.

No kidding. And it's really easy for anyone to prove to themselves with just
a Radio Shack SPL meter and a capable audio test CD. Variations of 35 dB are
not only common, but typical.

This puts a whole new light on the obsession some folks have with flat
response and other forms of "high accuracy" for audio!

--Ethan

Colin B.

hoarse with no name wrote:

I think that wide-dispersion is the technical term for speakers which
sound good throughout the room rather than being sensitive to listener
placement. (please correct me if I am wrong.) I would like to know what
to look for so that I can best find speakers which excel at sounding
good throughout a medium sized room.

Are some makers known for having or not having this quality?

Are some technologies known for having or not having this quality?

Are certain technical features known for having or not having this
quality?

Stay AWAY from Martin Logans, if you want to be able to move around.

They're gorgeous sounding speakers, but only in a tiny tiny region.

Arny Krueger

"Colin B." wrote in
message

Stay AWAY from Martin Logans, if you want to be able to
move around.

They're gorgeous sounding speakers, but only in a tiny
tiny region.

IME, if you want speakers that are maximally resistant to
having their sound quality trashed by the room, you want
speakers that you only listen to in a tiny region.

Arny Krueger

"Ethan Winer" ethanw at ethanwiner dot com wrote in
message

Arny,

Whether or not music sounds good throughout a room is
probably more a function of the room than the speaker.

No kidding.

I was trying to let the guy down a little slowly.

And it's really easy for anyone to prove to
themselves with just a Radio Shack SPL meter and a
capable audio test CD. Variations of 35 dB are not only
common, but typical.

Agreed.

This puts a whole new light on the obsession some folks
have with flat response and other forms of "high
accuracy" for audio!

Smooth, tailored response is a good thing, but in untreated
rooms, its a bit of a rarity.

Morgan Ohlson

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:59:45 -0700, hoarse with no name wrote:

I think that wide-dispersion is the technical term for speakers which
sound good throughout the room rather than being sensitive to listener
placement. (please correct me if I am wrong.) I would like to know what
to look for so that I can best find speakers which excel at sounding
good throughout a medium sized room.

Are some makers known for having or not having this quality?

Are some technologies known for having or not having this quality?

Are certain technical features known for having or not having this
quality?

Sometimes we actually forget the obvious.

All high /mid drivers(tweeters) should be easily put in listening hight.
Which means that a floor standing speaker (if not very high) should have
it's tweeter slightly angled up ~5-8 degrees (?). Treble into the floor is
pointless. It should be positioned to reach above sofas and directly to the
listner etc.

Perhaps it's obvious to you, but I have seen speakers that the owner
actually where moving around a lot... but forgeting this basics.

Morgan O.
GregS

In article , hoarse with no name wrote:

I think that wide-dispersion is the technical term for speakers which
sound good throughout the room rather than being sensitive to listener
placement. (please correct me if I am wrong.) I would like to know what
to look for so that I can best find speakers which excel at sounding
good throughout a medium sized room.

Are some makers known for having or not having this quality?

Are some technologies known for having or not having this quality?

Are certain technical features known for having or not having this
quality?

TIA

Bose is a company who designs speakers to have other than normal
characteristics. Normal speakers do no radiate well to the sides.
If your on the side, it can't sound right. There are some good
brands like Ohm, who specialize in all directional speakers.
I think you need an all directional speaker, if you expect to
have any kind of listenability in all parts of a room. Many
speakers go to the extreme of making a narrow
sweet spot, to optimize the sound at one spot, which will
have the best overall sound quality, outperforming an all directional
speaker, at that spot.

greg