Jag

Default Dunlavy SC-IV vs. Aletha

Hi,

I am a beginner in this audiophile world, and just sold my Nautilus
805. I got an offer of a used Dunlavy SC-IV for $2400. Since the
SC-IV had quite an impressive reviews (I have no luxury to auditioned
it, as in Indonesia there is not much audiophile dealers, especially in
my city, and I preffer to buy used stuffs). However, I just reallized
that my 3x3m (about 10'x10') is way too small for the Big SC-IV. I got
many others recommendations (Vandys, VR, etc). Unfortunately, the
choices of used speakers in Indonesia are quite hard. Then, I got an
offer to have the Dunlavy Alethas for $2600. Since, the Alethas have
smaller dimension, I think they would fit too my room (anyone agree??).
My questions a Is the Alethas share the same characteristics as the
SC-IV in term of soundstage, resolution, detail, etc?? Will they fit to
my 10'x10' room? Is the alethas worth $200 more than the Sc-IV?
I mostly listen to pop, easy listening, light-jazz, instrumental musics
(Josh Groban, Bond, Susan Wong, etc).
My system (all bought used and quite old):
Krell KSA250
Krell KSP-7B
AudioNote DAC2 (not the latest version)
Jadis JD-3 CD
Cardas Quadlink seaker cable
Nordost Blue heaven interconnect.
My budget is limited to about $2500, but the choices now only the above
speakers.
Thanks so much in advance for any inputs.

Regards

Adinata
John Coombs

The Alethas have very similar sonic characteristics to the SC-IVs. They
won't tower over you like the SC-IVs. My room is bigger than yours and they
sometimes seem physically too large, but I wouldn't say they are sonically
too large. They play jazz and a full range of classical (my tastes)
transparently at low volumes.

I drive mine with generation before this one Audio Research gear.

John

"Jag" wrote in message
[...]

gcrain

I have read that after Dunlavy sold the company the new owners
considerably downgraded the components. You might want to investigate
that and find out when those speakers were manufactured.