Cosworth

Default Looking for stereo amp around $500

I'm looking for a new 2-channel amp in the $500 range. It will be used to
listen to all kinds of music, but not for home theater. It needs to be able
to drive a 4 Ohm load comfortably, as I'm also planning on picking up some
entry level Magnepans.

I'm looking at the B&K 125.2 - a bit out of my stated price range, but a
local store has the discontinued model (not the Mk2) and I'm hoping to talk
them down some.

I'd appreciate any comments on the B&K as well as options that anyone feels
are preferable for the price.

Thanks,

Bill
chung

Cosworth wrote:
I'm looking for a new 2-channel amp in the $500 range. It will be used to
listen to all kinds of music, but not for home theater. It needs to be able
to drive a 4 Ohm load comfortably, as I'm also planning on picking up some
entry level Magnepans.

I'm looking at the B&K 125.2 - a bit out of my stated price range, but a
local store has the discontinued model (not the Mk2) and I'm hoping to talk
them down some.

I'd appreciate any comments on the B&K as well as options that anyone feels
are preferable for the price.

Thanks,

Bill

At that price range, you may want to consider a receiver, if you want to
buy new. The Harman Kardon 3480 stereo receiver is only $299 online, and
it delivers 150W/ch into 4 ohm loads. Power outout is very similar to
the B&K, but at less than half the price. Just think of it as a power
amp, and they throw in a free preamp-tuner (with remote control) .

If you are willing to buy used, then there are some good options. Check
out the Aragon 4004 Mk2. I have seen them on eBay for not much more than
$500, and it definitely can drive 4 ohms. In fact, the spec is 400W/ch
into 4 ohms loads.
Michael McKelvy

"Cosworth" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new 2-channel amp in the $500 range. It will be used to
listen to all kinds of music, but not for home theater. It needs to be
able
to drive a 4 Ohm load comfortably, as I'm also planning on picking up some
entry level Magnepans.

I'm looking at the B&K 125.2 - a bit out of my stated price range, but a
local store has the discontinued model (not the Mk2) and I'm hoping to
talk
them down some.

I'd appreciate any comments on the B&K as well as options that anyone
feels
are preferable for the price.

Thanks,

Try a pro audio shop and pick up an Alesis RA 500, it will put out 250 wpc
into 4 ohms. Chances are you will have money left over and from your
$500.00 budget. If you are willing to spend a little extra, buy 2 of them
and bridge each one to mono. You will then have 2 mono block amps able to
deliver 500 watts. This should surely be able to meet your need for
amplifier power no matter what kind of conventional speaker you choose.

Typical prices for these amps is around $375.00.
Michael McKelvy

"Cosworth" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new 2-channel amp in the $500 range. It will be used to
listen to all kinds of music, but not for home theater. It needs to be
able
to drive a 4 Ohm load comfortably, as I'm also planning on picking up some
entry level Magnepans.

I'm looking at the B&K 125.2 - a bit out of my stated price range, but a
local store has the discontinued model (not the Mk2) and I'm hoping to
talk
them down some.

I'd appreciate any comments on the B&K as well as options that anyone
feels
are preferable for the price.

Thanks,

As I suggested in a previous post, using a pair of Alesis RA 500 power amps
bridged for mono would give you tons of power, but I also thought of another
advantage. It is unlikely that if you ever have any problems with these
amps requiring repair, that both would go bad at once. You could still have
music playing or HT sound while one was in the shop. I don't expect that
would likely happen anytime before ten years or so as is typical for amps.

A second thought would be to use 2 of their RA 300 amps which when bridged
would be capable of, you guessed it 300 watts of mono power into 4 ohms for
around.$280.00 per amp. Just go to your search engine and type in Alesis
power amps and you will find many on line dealers in pro audio with Alesis
products.

Norman M. Schwartz

"Michael McKelvy" wrote in message
"Cosworth" wrote in message
[...]

Good to know, these amps present interesting low cost possibilities. Not
being able to see the backs of these amps anywhere, what gives as to the
input jacks (balanaced, unbalanced, one or the other, or both) and speaker
wire binding posts? It does disturb me a bit that these are not described,
but perhaps this is customary with "pro" components, and everyone in the
market for them know the answers.

Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro

http://www.alesis.com/products/raamps/index.html
http://www.alesis.com/downloads/manuals/index.html

Good to know, these amps present interesting low cost possibilities. Not
being able to see the backs of these amps anywhere,

See page 13 of its manual:
http://www.alesis.com/downloads/manu...500_Manual.pdf

what gives as to the input jacks (balanaced, unbalanced, one or
the other, or both)

It has both connectors. If I understand what you are asking, the answer is
"one or the other":

"Only one input jack of a channel should be used at a
time: don't use the 1/4"/XLR input jack and phono
input jack simultaneously."

and speaker wire binding posts?

It accepts bare wire or banana plugs (see page 19 of the manual).

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Michael McKelvy

"Cosworth" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ALERA500 lists the following:

Inputs 1/4" TRS and RCA
Outputs 1/4" and push clip.

I believe you might be able to get an idea of the back from this website
http://alesis.com/downloads/ftp/ftp_images.htm by downloading the manual.

Cosworth wrote:
I'm looking for a new 2-channel amp in the $500 range. It will be

used to
listen to all kinds of music, but not for home theater. It needs to

be able
to drive a 4 Ohm load comfortably, as I'm also planning on picking up

some
entry level Magnepans.

I'm looking at the B&K 125.2 - a bit out of my stated price range,

but a
local store has the discontinued model (not the Mk2) and I'm hoping

to talk
them down some.

I'd appreciate any comments on the B&K as well as options that anyone

feels
are preferable for the price.

Thanks,

Bill

On e-bay and similar sites a great number of used amps can be found.
Not many new amps are even available at $500, but used Denon, Sony, and
Yamaha power amps are plentiful.

Michael

Cosworth wrote:
I'm looking for a new 2-channel amp in the $500 range. It will be used to
listen to all kinds of music, but not for home theater. It needs to be able
to drive a 4 Ohm load comfortably, as I'm also planning on picking up some
entry level Magnepans.

I'm looking at the B&K 125.2 - a bit out of my stated price range, but a
local store has the discontinued model (not the Mk2) and I'm hoping to talk
them down some.

I'd appreciate any comments on the B&K as well as options that anyone feels
are preferable for the price.

Thanks,

Bill

For only $500, you're not going to find an outstanding AMP or PREAMP for
that matter.

If I were you, I'd buy the Yamaha RX-596 stereo receiver, which drives
both 4ohm and 8ohm speakers, and it can push one hundred watts per
channel. For the money and the features one gets, it's a very good
deal. The tuner included in the RX-596 is excellent, too.

I bought one for my niece's setup and she absolutely loves it--as do I.
I would stand by my word and say that it will outperform any amp under
$500.00.

Yours truly,

Michael