Mike Rivers

Default AES Show Report

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Enjoy.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Nick Busigin

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 08:37:04 -0500, Mike Rivers wrote:

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Enjoy.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers ) However, until the spam
goes away or Hell freezes over, lots of IP addresses are blocked from

Mike,

Thanks very much for taking the time to write and publish this report.
It's great to get your perspective of the AES show.

Nick

http://www.songbirdofswing.com
Nick Busigin
Visit Our Indie Jazz CD Construction Project!
Kevin Kelly

Enjoy. BRBR
I did. Very much.
Thanks

I'm sitting three thousand miles and a week away from an event I couldn't
justify the time/expense to get to. Your detailed, readable summary was just
what the doctor ordered.
Thanks for this and your ongoing contributions to this group.

Kevin
Kevin M. Kelly
"There needs to be a 12-step program for us gearheads"
John L Rice

Thanks much Mike for the nicely written AES report.

John L Rice

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Enjoy.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Don Cooper

Mike Rivers wrote:

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Enjoy.

Thanks, Mike!

R Krizman

Great report, Mike, thanks.

-R
Mike Cleaver

Thanks once again Mike!
I'd planned on being there this year but a number of projects plus
being "on the air" kept me away.
You've covered almost everything of interes to me, again with great
clarity and no BS.
I really appreciate your efforts again this year.

On 7 Nov 2004 08:37:04 -0500, (Mike Rivers) wrote:

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Enjoy.

Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Voice-overs, Newscaster, Engineering and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Scott Dorsey

Carey Carlan wrote:
(Mike Rivers) wrote in news:znr1099799980k@trad:

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Easily digestible, but it gives me GAS.

I never liked those amplifiers. They always sounded kind of funny on top.
Michael Droste

Thank You - notice this year I wasn't saying: "Where's the Rivers
Report" People told me I gotta give you a few days to type it
Thanx again - Great Job as usual.

-michael

Len Moskowitz

Mike Rivers wrote:

My AES show report is posted at
http://www.d-and-d.com/mrivers/AES_10-2004.PDF

Enjoy.

I did -- thanks!

And if the folks out there want to see what Mike looked like at the AES
dinner, see he

http://www.core-sound.com/AES2004/AE...-pictures.html

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Scott Dorsey

Nousaine wrote:

Having been an AES Vice-President and attended Board of Governor's meetings the
choice of location is most primarily related not only to the facility itself
and, of course, cost but also hotel facilities, the availablility of local AES
Chapters that are relied on extensively for Convention labor and availability
of open-dates that fit with AES Schedules and do not conflict with other
industry events.

DC does not have a very active local chapter, I am sorry to report.
BUT it also doesn't have anything APPROACHING the union chaos that is
evident at the Javits center. Baltimore might not be bad either.

For example there are cities with convention facilities that might be suitable
but which already have othrt major conventions regularly scheduled for suitable
dates.

DC is interesting in that it currently has a huge surplus of convention space
and there is almost certain to be something open. I doubt this will continue
for long, though.

Len Moskowitz

Scott Dorsey wrote:

DC does not have a very active local chapter, I am sorry to report.
BUT it also doesn't have anything APPROACHING the union chaos that is
evident at the Javits center. Baltimore might not be bad either.

If you think the union chaos in NYC was bad, you should have seen San
Francisco!

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

Having been an AES Vice-President and attended Board of Governor's meetings the
choice of location is most primarily related not only to the facility itself
and, of course, cost but also hotel facilities, the availablility of local AES
Chapters that are relied on extensively for Convention labor and availability
of open-dates that fit with AES Schedules and do not conflict with other
industry events.

DC doesn't have a very active AES chapter (we're working on it - if
you're a member and aren't getting meeting notices, yell!) but they're
very big on conventions and facilities. After all, we have a convicted
felon as a city councilman so he can get "things" done.

I know that the AES contracts convention facilities several years in
advance and they're usually multi-year contracts. That's why it was at
the Hilton for so long when there was a perfectly good convention
center in NYC. But you can't argue availability of local hotels as
being a plus for the Javitts Center. There are only one or two within
walking distance, and I'm not sure I'd want to walk very far in that
neighborhood after dark anyway. After taking the AES busses from
midtown hotels for a few years I've started staying in New Jersey and
taking the ferry.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )

Don Cooper

Scott Dorsey wrote:

DC does not have a very active local chapter, I am sorry to report.
BUT it also doesn't have anything APPROACHING the union chaos that is
evident at the Javits center. Baltimore might not be bad either.

Richmond has a nice new convention center.
Scott Dorsey

Don Cooper wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

DC does not have a very active local chapter, I am sorry to report.
BUT it also doesn't have anything APPROACHING the union chaos that is
evident at the Javits center. Baltimore might not be bad either.

Richmond has a nice new convention center.

True enough. What would you do for tech tours?

James Perrett

Predrag Trpkov wrote:

"James Perrett" wrote in message
Chris wrote:

In article znr1100137809k@trad, says...

In article

writes:

Ladies & Gentlemen! I believe we have just witnessed what could be

the
first known use of the word "fun" coupled with the phrase "trade

show" in
a single sentence.

Do I know you?????

Acutally I enjoy talking to the people peddling their stuff at trade
shows. Some of them actually know something useful and others are a
good laugh. And it's fun to go out to dinner with a few people that I
see only once a year or less and spend a few hours talking about stuff
and such.

I don't think we have ever met, unless we have stood on one anothers

toes
at one of the European AES's. No offence meant or intended.
It's nice that you still enjoy 'em and that there is still a pro-audio
industry on your side of the pond. We can't even muster our own show

over
here in the U.K. The A.P.R.S. show died a good few years ago now.
Pip pip

Chris - you should try to make the trip to one sometime. I've been to a
couple of the US shows now and I reckon they are possibly an improvement
over the old APRS shows. I also sometimes wonder why the AES never comes
to London for the European version in the spring - they're holding it in
Munich next year.

Isn't it Barcelona? I wish it was Munich, because I'd surely be there. I
visited both Munich shows. Spain is too far away from me.

Predrag

I think you're right - I'm not sure where I got Munich from. Actually,
Barcelona is quite attractive for those of us who want a few days
somewhere warmer than the UK.

Cheers.

James.