Paul Vina

Default Better to solder or crimp?

Also with soldering you will most likely void the factory warranty.

Paul Vina

"GiJO" wrote in message
Just wondering, is it better solder wires or crimp then with connectors?

I've got a sub box, and at the point where the terminals plug in, the back
has the + and - prongs which look like i should use a connector to clip

onto
it. Should i use a connector or solder the wire straight to the prongs?

I was told that it's better to crimp and use connectors because with
soldering you can end up with dry connections etc.

--
Thanks
Andrew

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"GiJO" wrote:

Just wondering, is it better solder wires or crimp then with connectors?

I've got a sub box, and at the point where the terminals plug in, the back
has the + and - prongs which look like i should use a connector to clip onto
it. Should i use a connector or solder the wire straight to the prongs?

I was told that it's better to crimp and use connectors because with
soldering you can end up with dry connections etc.

Both last a long time if done correctly. Spade connectors have the
advantage that you can easily remove the sub driver while you're fine
tuning the box.

If you haven't done either before, buy a crimping tool and some spade
connectors. Your failed experiments with a crimping tool will only
destroy wire and connectors. Your experiments with a soldering iron
might destroy the driver.
hushd4

And with soldering you could end up oxidizing your wires because of the
heat put on the wires. Im not saying soldering is bad but if you know
what your doing then go ahead. Like kevin said "spade connectors can
easily be removed" so i'd go with that.

--
hushd4