Arny Krueger

Default James Randi Million US$ Challenge To Well-Known Golden Ears!

http://www.randi.org/jr/080504string.html#8

This ABX Comparator is the ideal setup to test audio devices and systems. It
generates a random "A or B" switching signal, so that the user does not know
whether the item or variable being examined is in or out of the circuit, and
it accepts the user's decisions and stores them. When the Moment of Truth
arrives, the user sees the results of a proper double-blind test. This is a
setup that the audio quacks strenuously avoid, in fear that their fakery
will be exposed.
Today I sent out the following e-mail letter to eleven audio reviewers who
showed up on the web pages of the Shakti Stones and P.W.B. Electronics, as
endorsers of some audio nonsense mentioned here last week, and to both
manufacturers of the devices as well. The letter explains itself:

My name is James Randi. I am the president of the James Randi Educational
Foundation (address and contacts listed below) and I am an investigator of
unusual claims. This Foundation has a prize of one million dollars that we
offer, details of which are to be found at www.randi.org/research/index.html
and www.randi.org/research/challenge.html.
As a reviewer for a major audio publication, I'm sure that you will find
the following offer of great interest, both from the point of view of
validating your expert judgment, and adding substantially to your net worth.

Please refer to www.randi.org/jr/073004an.html#3 and go to the item "THE
JREF MILLION IS SURELY WON" to learn of the items - the "Shakti Stones" and
P.W.B. Electronics' "Electret Foil" and "Red X Pen" - that I am referring to
here. In my opinion - and I have none of your expertise, I freely admit -
these are farcical in nature. Yet experts such as yourself have endorsed
these products, and that support indicates that the JREF million-dollar
prize should surely be offered, either to you personally, or to the
manufacturers of these products - who have been similarly informed on this
date.

If you require further information concerning details of this endeavor,
please contact me at and inquire. This is a valid offer, a
serious offer, and a sincere offer. Should any of these products prove to
work as advertised, the first person who is able to demonstrate the efficacy
of any of them, will be the winner of the JREF prize as described in the
rules and details to be found at the above references.

I await your response with great interest.

The above e-mail message was sent to:

Frank Doris, at The Absolute Sound:

Clay Swartz, Clark Johnson, and David Robinson at Positive Feedback:
, , and

Larry Kaye, Wayne Donnelly, and Bill Brassington at fi:
, , and

Bascom King at Audio:

Wes Phillips at SoundStage:

Jim Merod at Jazz Times:

Dick Olsher at Enjoy The Music:

Peter and May Belt at "P.W.B. Electronics":

Benjamin Piazza at "Shakti Innovations":

Let's see what reaction is received - if any - to this clearly-outlined
challenge. Remember, all we're doing here is asking the reviewers - the
trained, experienced experts, the responsible endorsers of these products -
to repeat their tests of the items, but this time under double-blind,
secure, conditions. And we're making the same offer to the manufacturers,
who we would expect to be even more sensitive and capable of performing such
tests.

WE ARE OFFERING ONE MILLION DOLLARS IF THEY CAN DO WHAT THEY CLAIM THEY CAN
DO, WHAT THEY DO PROFESSIONALLY, IN A FIELD WHERE THEY CLAIM EXPERTISE FAR
BEYOND THAT OF MERE MORTALS. WE ASK FOR NO INVESTMENT FROM THEM, WE DO NOT
CHARGE THEM FOR PARTICIPATING - AND WE STAND TO GAIN NOTHING BUT WE DO RISK
THE LOSS OF THE MILLION DOLLARS PRIZE MONEY.

I am a mere mortal, unencumbered by academic degrees or claims of audio
expertise. Show me, and win a million dollars...

(Sylvia Browne just called and offered refuge and professional evasion
advice to all the above-listed.)

Robert Gault

Arny Krueger wrote:

http://www.randi.org/jr/080504string.html#8

snip

The Randi site was down for several days and it just came up this
morning so I could read the article. I'd often thought golden ears
should be included with the paranormal and the results of this
challenge, if ever accepted, should be interesting.

There is one problem I see with the challenge. Randi is well equipped to
handle paranormal type claims as these involve typical magicians tricks.
He is not equipped to handle the requirements for dropper audio testing,
far as I can tell. Perhaps a certain unnamed audio group should offer
it's expertise.

Rich.Andrews

Robert Gault wrote in news:KnpVc.484419
:

Arny Krueger wrote:

http://www.randi.org/jr/080504string.html#8

snip

The Randi site was down for several days and it just came up this
morning so I could read the article. I'd often thought golden ears
should be included with the paranormal and the results of this
challenge, if ever accepted, should be interesting.

There is one problem I see with the challenge. Randi is well equipped to
handle paranormal type claims as these involve typical magicians tricks.
He is not equipped to handle the requirements for dropper audio testing,
far as I can tell. Perhaps a certain unnamed audio group should offer
it's expertise.

I can see no fault with Randi's challenge whatsoever. He even leaves the
details of the test to be mutually agreed upon.

Roger Russell has written about the challenge on his web pages.

http://www.roger-russell.com/truth/truth.htm
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#house