Arny Krueger

Default Anybody has "M-Audio BX8/BX5" monitors? Can you shut off bass coming out from the back?!..

Mike wrote:

Is it true they have a hole in the back where the low frequencies come
out, where most monitors have this at the front I believe?! If you
place your monitors against the wall, why would you want low
frequencies to come out from the back and isn't it so that in small
rooms you don't hear sub frequencies anyway?

Absolutely not true about small rooms. It takes less woofer to have good
bass in small rooms than big rooms.

The main problem is that
if there comes bass out of the back from these monitors directly
bouncing against the wall, I am pretty sure my neighbors will
complain about the noise

The bass coming out of a speaker is pretty omnidirectional. It goes through
the whole wall, not just the part near the speaker.

so therefore I was wondering if you can
*completely* shut off any sound going out from the back port using
switches like "Acoustic Space" and "Low Cutoff" on those monitors or
will there always be at least some air pressure going out from the
back and should I look for other monitors?!

In fact you can block the vent of many speakers with some loss of bass, but
often not a serious one. Don't worry, if your neighbors were complaining,
they'll probably still complain. You aren't going to get off that easy! ;-)

The world is full of fine speakers that have their vent on the back. For
example, my NHT 2.5i speakers have their vent on the back. Mackie HR 824
have a passive radiator on the back, it's effectively the vent, six of one,
half-dozen of the other. The list goes on,

Wally Hooker

I have the BX-8's. Yes, they're ported in the back, but I don't think they
have any more bass coming out the back than any other monitor in it's
size/spec range. And the acoustic space control is nice if they are
situated near a wall. They sound great. If noise/neighbours is a concern,
i would get the BX5's. Not as much low end, but they still sound wonderful.
I heard them at Guitar Center and they were the best in their price range
IMO.

Wally
www.wallyhooker.com

"Mike" wrote in message
Hi,

Anybody here who has experience with the M-Audio BX8 or BX5 monitors?!
Is it true they have a hole in the back where the low frequencies come
out, where most monitors have this at the front I believe?! If you place
your monitors against the wall, why would you want low frequencies to
come out from the back and isn't it so that in small rooms you don't
hear sub frequencies anyway? The main problem is that if there comes
bass out of the back from these monitors directly bouncing against the
wall, I am pretty sure my neighbours will complain about the noise so
therefore I was wondering if you can *completely* shut off any sound
going out from the back port using switches like "Acoustic Space" and
"Low Cutoff" on those monitors or will there always be at least some air
pressure going out from the back and should I look for other monitors?!

Thanks in advance for all good feedback!

Mike.

Eric Bartlett

The bass doesn't actually "come" out of the port. The port is
resonant at some low frequency and makes it easier for the driver to
move at those frequencies compared to a sealed enclosure. You could
put the port almost anywhere.

Eric Bartlett