Robert Gault

Default What do you think about this loudspeaker, ladiies and germs?

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

snip
Nothing obvious here to me or even proof that it works. Any beaming is
either going to require a moving speaker or a cylindrical array of
speakers. The Pioneer is neither.

Not required. It can be a phased array, which is pretty much standard
in modern military radar antennae, and allows much faster beam
steering than is possible with physical movement.

snip

Very interesting and I just learned something. Do you think the
technique can be applied to the frequencies of audio and still be valid
and effective?

Ross Matheson

Robert Gault wrote:

: Ross Matheson wrote:
:
:
: Ultrasonics.
:
: It's obvious to me that it's a development of the ultrasonic beaming
: technology that's been around for a little while. A quick Google ...
:
: http://www.atcsd.com/tl_hss.html
: http://www.holosonics.com/technology.html
:
: They obviously put several channels in one box and steer the beams as
: required. Obviously the technology works. I'm sure we'll see more of it.
:
: Ross M
: Nothing obvious here to me or even proof that it works. Any beaming is
: either going to require a moving speaker or a cylindrical array of
: speakers. The Pioneer is neither.

I meant that the basic ultrasonic/difference tone/demodulation in
non-linear medium etc beaming technology works and is in use.

The preceding (and following:-) sentence was an extrapolated guess.

: The US patent office too often issue patents for ideas that don't work.

Yeah, and the really exciting ones sort of quietly disappear, eh?;-)
joke

Ross Matheson

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

: Not required. It can be a phased array, which is pretty much standard
: in modern military radar antennae, and allows much faster beam
: steering than is possible with physical movement.

From the linked partner site in another posters reference
http://www.1limited.com/news/2003.12.24.html

"The Beam Forming Processor Chip, TAC8256, is a digital processor that
controls the output of the speaker array to form and steer sound beams.
The processor is fully compatibility with Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX,
DTS, and DTS-ES ensuring that Sound Projectors are ‘future proofed’. The
Amplifier Chip, TAD108, is a digital Class-D amplifier that drives large
segments of the speaker array in conjunction with the TAC8256.

The two chips are fully compatible with a wide variety of Sound Projector
array configurations providing licensees with great design flexibility.
These options enable products to be tailored for specific market segments
and provide great scope for product differentiation."

Ross Matheson

Robert Gault wrote:

: Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
:
: snip
: Nothing obvious here to me or even proof that it works. Any beaming is
: either going to require a moving speaker or a cylindrical array of
: speakers. The Pioneer is neither.
:
:
: Not required. It can be a phased array, which is pretty much standard
: in modern military radar antennae, and allows much faster beam
: steering than is possible with physical movement.
:
: snip
:
: Very interesting and I just learned something. Do you think the
: technique can be applied to the frequencies of audio and still be valid
: and effective?

What I find interesting about the Pioneer 'concept' vs the current
applications (spot museum/art gallery virtual docent, etc) found on the
web easily as already in use is the implied frequency range extension.

Evidently the technique is reasonably easy to implement for voice
frequencies (and it works). HF extension I imagine is inherently no
problem, but I wonder what sort of power law comes into play getting
results down to say 20Hz? The Pioneer unit quoted 500W IIRC.

They wouldn't quote compatibility with the various formats if they hadn't
already proofed applicable LF extension spec. frequencies, I imagine.
OTOH, the Pioneer device hasn't come to market yet ...

While AFAIU it from earlier skim reading on the principle the ultrasonic
beams break up quickly, "leaving behind" the audio (I may be hopelessly,
foolishly, wrong here, and thinking more of the sonar applications- after
all, they have to be good enough to reach and even bounce off room walls)
I can't help wondering what effect there is on a human organism standing
say right in front of the device emitting all this ultrasonic power ...

OTOH I'm no expert, and am in post hearty meal-and glass-of-wine mode;-)

Ah, here's a snippet I found browsing elsewhere a few months ago:

"Oddly, if we take the difference frequencies between any two real
signals, that difference frequency propagates through a nonlinear
homogeneous medium as if it were a sine wave in a linear medium -- even
though the two waves we took the difference between, individually break up
and spread all over. " - T.E.Bearden

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 10:10:17 GMT, Robert Gault
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

snip
Nothing obvious here to me or even proof that it works. Any beaming is
either going to require a moving speaker or a cylindrical array of
speakers. The Pioneer is neither.

Not required. It can be a phased array, which is pretty much standard
in modern military radar antennae, and allows much faster beam
steering than is possible with physical movement.

snip

Very interesting and I just learned something. Do you think the
technique can be applied to the frequencies of audio and still be valid
and effective?

I don't know, but it seems to be how it's claimed to work.

Robert Gault

Ross Matheson wrote:
Robert Gault wrote:

: Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
:
[...]

As long as we are quoting references, here is a site that presents the
difficulties of this approach.
http://www.meyersound.com/support/papers/steering/

Ross Matheson

Robert Gault noted:

: As long as we are quoting references, here is a site that presents the
: difficulties of this approach.
: http://www.meyersound.com/support/papers/steering/

Thanks. Interesting. But those are conventional audio transducers.

My understanding - and hey, I'm no expert - just an interested amateur -
is that these are ultrasonic transducers - much easier to beam, and one
might assume, to steer said beams - and the difference freqencies are
demodulated by the air itself, in the beam - i.e 60KHz with 61KHz = 1kHz.

A little more browsing found some more references. This technology (of the
air itself demodulating the difference tones from the ultrasonic "carrier"
waves) is fairly recent, although it was proven to work in water earlier.

Perhaps there are still some headaches left for Pioneer before market ...
(I see elsewhere too that the technology is being weaponised ... )

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/t2/messages/387.html (2003)
[interestingly, concerns over health raised in one or two of the replies.]

Wired article from 2002
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...,50483,00.html

Also a few notes from someone's collection of ultrasonics links, 2001.
==
"In the audio spotlight: a sonar technique allows loudspeakers to deliver
focused sound beams" article by David Schneider in _Scientific American_
1998-10

Just as a loudspeaker distorts music if driven too hard ... water will
also distort high-intensity sound waves. Rather than being a problem, this
nonlinearity offered sonar engineers a way to make the water itself
generate low-frequency sound waves from high-frequency ones. ... And
because of its small wavelength, an ultrasonic carrier can be sent from a
physically small source in a tight beam.

... experts debated whether such parametric arrays would also work in
air ... [until] Mary Beth Bennet and David T. Blackstock, both at the
University of Texas at Austin, ... created an audible tone in air using
ultrasonic waves. ...

F. Joseph Pompei ... [at] the Media Lab in the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology ... Unlike earlier arrays built with piezoelectric elements,
his apparatus employs wide-bandwidth electrostatic transducers ... he is
able to project a three-degree-wide beam for some 200 meters.

Elwood G. Norris, an inventor at American Technology Corporation in
San Diego ... [has] also been pursuing the prospect of using parametric
arrays in air.
==
from http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/ultrasonic.html (very eclectic site)
==

Anyway, that's about all I have to note on the topic.
(I wonder what Arny's own thoughts are, since he brought this up? ;-)

RdM

Geoff Wood

Ross Matheson wrote:

The paranoiac mind-control conspiracy folk are of course already
freaked about the technology to make one person in a loose group hear
voices ...

Thing is that 99.9999999 % of occurrences of this phenomenon can be
accurately put down to schizophrenia !

If a speaker used the principal of beamed soundwaves and resultant
interference patterns, it would be F.A. use for discos, going out to the
fridge for a new beer, talking, or for that matter doing anything but
sitting in a headbrace, for the effects to be anything other than 'variable'
.. I would think .....

geoff

Ross Matheson

Ross Matheson wrote:

: results down to say 20Hz? The Pioneer unit quoted 500W IIRC.

I see the pdf at www.1limited.com gives these specs.
Obviously intended for use with a subwoofer. Makes sense.
==
Number of audio channels 8 supporting 5.1, 6.1 & 7.1 formats
Frequency response (+/- 3dB)80 Hz - 20 kHz
SPL @ 1m 110 dB SPL
Power supply rating 420 W (rms), 600 W (peak)
Multi-channel audio formats Dolby Digital (AC3) / DTS / MPEG
PCM: Dolby Prologic / 6 channel (discrete)
Audio inputs 4 x optical S/P-DIF
1x stereo analogue
Subwoofer output Coaxial S/P-DIF + analogue
Adjustable crossover 80 - 150 Hz
Tone controls +/-12 dB shelving 20 - 300 Hz
(per channel + global) +/-12 dB shelving 6 - 20 kHz
User interface On-screen display
IR remote control
RS-232 remote control/dealer setup interface
==