Arny Krueger

Default SACD & DVD-A Remastering Scam Revealed!

Those of us who have remained skeptical after reading glowing reports of
tremendously improved sound quality due to the wider bandwidth of SACD and
DVD-A can find quite a bit of vindication in this report:

http://world.std.com/~griesngr/intermod.ppt

Basically it shows that SACDs come in two flavors - those with absolutely no
music above 22 KHz (your typical remastered recording) or those with
negligible music above 22 KHz (your typical new recording).

The author of this report is a well-known expert who has been studying the
requirements for more lifelike reproduction of music for decades, and has a
number of successful products to his credit.

I see just another indication of how unreliable the high end establishment
is as a source of information about what actually sounds better.

dangling entity

Damn! I don't have Powerpoint to read the thing. Why do people leave
their stuff in PPT format?! At least put in PDF. Anybody can get a
PDF viewer... [steps off soapbox]
Jeff Wiseman

My computer (a Mac) is a Microsoft-free zone...

There are all kinds of trouble that you can get into loading bloatware like that onto a Mac or UNIX equiv. I've had the pain of using Microsoft SW for many years at work (corporate standards you know...) I've lost more productive time due to screwups and bizzare defaults in that software than any other tools I've used. When I'm at home, I choose to avoid that mess but unfortunately many folks view Microsoft as the world standard that Mr. Gates wants it to be.

- Jeff

"Todd H." wrote:

(dangling entity) writes:

Damn! I don't have Powerpoint to read the thing. Why do people leave
their stuff in PPT format?! At least put in PDF. Anybody can get a
PDF viewer... [steps off soapbox]

I agree that office attachements are evil...but writing PDF isn't as
easy or as cheap as one might like. The expensive solution is easy,
the free solutions are ccumbersome.

That all said, are you aware Microsoft gives away free viewers for
Word and Powerpoint? This is a handy thing to have but you need
Windows to install it, which leaves many folks out in the cold.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H.

Jeff Wiseman writes:

My computer (a Mac) is a Microsoft-free zone...

The peace of mind that affords unfortunately comes with the price of
the inability to read certain helpful attachments posted by the
masses who've for better or worse embraced the Beast. :-)

To the original poster of the Powerpoint file: mucho bonus points if
you can manage to make a PDF of it!

But Jeff, keep in mind that the burden of freely given material is
upon the reader, and we should be thankful for any posting of info at
all (even if we really wish it were in a standards-embracing format so
we can have the cake and eat it without Bill Gates and his swiss
cheese security products profiting).

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."

Jeff Wiseman

Default OT: was SACD & DVD-A Remastering Scam Revealed!

"Todd H." wrote:

stuff deleted

But Jeff, keep in mind that the burden of freely given material is
upon the reader, and we should be thankful for any posting of info at
all (even if we really wish it were in a standards-embracing format so
we can have the cake and eat it without Bill Gates and his swiss
cheese security products profiting).

I understand and humbly agree. I really do appreciate the offerings regardless of the format that they come in--especially knowing that many of those folks have to frequently endure a lot more grief than the minor inconvenience that I occasionally experience with Excel, Word, and Powerpoint posts!

For example, in the last 4 weeks alone I have received at least 40 e-mails containing the Klez virus which, of course, can't affect my machine. There is obviously several people that know me who are now having trouble with their PCs where I can just throw it away and move on.

- Jeff
Todd H.

Jeff Wiseman writes:

"Todd H." wrote:

stuff deleted

But Jeff, keep in mind that the burden of freely given material is
upon the reader, and we should be thankful for any posting of info at
all (even if we really wish it were in a standards-embracing format so
we can have the cake and eat it without Bill Gates and his swiss
cheese security products profiting).

I understand and humbly agree. I really do appreciate the offerings
regardless of the format that they come in--especially knowing that
many of those folks have to frequently endure a lot more grief than
the minor inconvenience that I occasionally experience with Excel,
Word, and Powerpoint posts!

:-) I hear ya--even so I once got frustrated enough with such stuff to
devote a page to it, including my hierarchy of evils which covers the
topic at hand:
http://toddh.net/netiquette/

For example, in the last 4 weeks alone I have received at least 40
e-mails containing the Klez virus which, of course, can't affect my
machine. There is obviously several people that know me who are now
having trouble with their PCs where I can just throw it away and
move on.

40 eh? Let me make you feel better, I've gotten bounces for
oh...about 1000 emails...most likely from visitors to my web site who
got infected, and the blaster/klez/etc worms kindly forged
replications of themselves using email addresses found in their web
page cache. Of course my Linux-based text mail reader is unaffected,
and various spam filtering solutions help me cope but yikes is SMTP
prone to such ickiness. :-\

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | "4 lines suffice."
TonyP

Arny Krueger wrote:
Those of us who have remained skeptical after reading glowing reports of
tremendously improved sound quality due to the wider bandwidth of SACD and
DVD-A can find quite a bit of vindication in this report:

http://world.std.com/~griesngr/intermod.ppt

Basically it shows that SACDs come in two flavors - those with absolutely no
music above 22 KHz (your typical remastered recording) or those with
negligible music above 22 KHz (your typical new recording).

I have never heard either of those formats. And was trying to figure out
how it was MUCH better than CD's that I already have (remember, CD's
were 'suppose' to be "perfect" when they arrived). I had thought of
taking the plunge with a player that played both formats, but decided to
sit it out. So, is there REALLY a difference between a DVD-A/SACD and
the plain vanilla CD?

Randy Yates

dangling entity wrote:

[...]
OK, thanks! Honestly, I had no idea there was even such a thing as a
PPT viewer. That pretty much solves my complaint. Still not as good
as PDF (so Mac users can get in on the fun),

Not only Mac users but how about 15 bazillion varieties of
linux?

I agree wholeheartedly - use PDF for exchanging documents. Word, PowerPoint,
etc, were not made for this and do a poor job. I cringe with horror and
fright when I see the masses start making Office documents defacto interchange
standards.
--
% Randy Yates % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % 'cause no one knows which side
dangling entity

Randy Yates wrote in message ...
dangling entity wrote:

[...]
OK, thanks! Honestly, I had no idea there was even such a thing as a
PPT viewer. That pretty much solves my complaint. Still not as good
as PDF (so Mac users can get in on the fun),

Not only Mac users but how about 15 bazillion varieties of
linux?

I agree wholeheartedly - use PDF for exchanging documents. Word, PowerPoint,
etc, were not made for this and do a poor job. I cringe with horror and
fright when I see the masses start making Office documents defacto interchange
standards.

Yes, Linux users matter, too! PDF is the way.

On a side note, is it possible that this PPT viewer may run inside
WINE or something?