Posted to rec.audio.car
John Comma Smith

Default Sub box questions.

Hello again,

I am going to be buying a sub(s) soon and I had some questions:

Should I go with a sub that comes with an enclosure or just go component
and build the sub box?
Do you guys know any tutorials on how to make a sub box that will give
me the low frequencies?
How many subs do you guys suggest for a guy who listens to everything
but rap? 1 or 2?
Would it be better to put the subs in the trunk of my sedan, or somehow
get them in with the passengers?
Posted to rec.audio.car
Phillip Devoll

"John Comma Smith" wrote in message
Hello again,

I am going to be buying a sub(s) soon and I had some questions:

Should I go with a sub that comes with an enclosure or just go component
and build the sub box?
Do you guys know any tutorials on how to make a sub box that will give
me the low frequencies?
How many subs do you guys suggest for a guy who listens to everything
but rap? 1 or 2?
Would it be better to put the subs in the trunk of my sedan, or somehow
get them in with the passengers?

I would recomend buying subs with a box......

Posted to rec.audio.car
Kevin McMurtrie

In article y5Cpg.146$5K2.7@fed1read03,
John Comma Smith wrote:

Hello again,

I am going to be buying a sub(s) soon and I had some questions:

Should I go with a sub that comes with an enclosure or just go component
and build the sub box?
Do you guys know any tutorials on how to make a sub box that will give
me the low frequencies?
How many subs do you guys suggest for a guy who listens to everything
but rap? 1 or 2?
Would it be better to put the subs in the trunk of my sedan, or somehow
get them in with the passengers?

Build your own box only if you want a custom frequency response. Most
pre-built subs resonate in the 50-80 Hz area. A larger box or using the
trunk as the enclosure can get you down to 20Hz or lower. You'll need a
compatible sub, of course.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

"John Comma Smith" wrote in message
Hello again,

I am going to be buying a sub(s) soon and I had some questions:

Should I go with a sub that comes with an enclosure or just go component
and build the sub box?

This really depends on your skill level. If you are good with working with
wood, then some money can be saved by building your own enclosure. But I
think you will tend to find that pre-made enclosures tend to be pretty
reasonably priced.

Do you guys know any tutorials on how to make a sub box that will give me
the low frequencies?

Check out this group's FAQ at http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq/ . It
will give you some good advice about what kind of box you may want.

How many subs do you guys suggest for a guy who listens to everything but
rap? 1 or 2?

Rap is not the only type of music with low bass. If you like techno, there
is TONS of low bass in that kind of music as well. I've noticed that in the
last 10 years pop has become bassier and bassier. And even modern country
has lots of low bass as well. I find the question isn't really about the
kind of music you like as almost EVERY type has bass, but how much bass and
how loud do you play your music.

That being said, I have two 12" subs and that seems to be perfect for me.
Now I'm 38 and I listen to all types of music. But I DO listen to some rap
and techno and on occasion I like to REALLY FEEL my bass. I also like to
crank it WAY up now and again. If this does not sound like you, then maybe
a single 12" sub will do the job. A single good quality 12" sub will
provide enough bottom end for almost any kind of music at moderate to loud
volumes.

Would it be better to put the subs in the trunk of my sedan, or somehow
get them in with the passengers?

The trunk is usually fine, in fact, the trunk is the BEST place. Bass is
omni-directional and can travel through upholstery with ease. When you mount
it in the trunk facing the rear (or better still, the corner), the bass is
able to "load" (or concentrate) and this tends to produce the strongest bass
because you have the least amount of cancellation. The same is true of
subwoofers in the home, they work best when placed near a wall or corner,
again the reasons are the same.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Comma Smith John Comma Smith is offline

MOSFET wrote:
[...]

Well thank you for all of your help. I had a couple questions about the
infinite baffle sub box.

Will it give nice low frequencies?
Alright for the trunk?
Recommended?

Also, I was thinking of a ported box, but I had heard that there are
calculations and stuff in order to get the frequencys right. Do you know
of a sight that is more specific on building a ported sub box?

Again, thank you very much for all the info.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Comma Smith John Comma Smith is offline

Mister.Lull wrote:
By infinite baffle, I'm guessing you mean a Sealed Box. One where the
sub is mounted in a box with no holes, right? (Just thought I'd
clarify that first)
I've always had three concerns when putting a system together. First,
Money. I don't have a lot, and didn't want to spend butt-loads of
money to have a decent stereo. Two, I don't want to be that asshat who
you always hear coming from (sometimes literally) a mile away. And
three, looks. I didn't want it to just be something thrown together.
What I ended up putting in my car was one 10 inch sub, powered by only
150 watts rms, in a ported box tuned to 26Hz. The Head unit takes care
of the four 6.5 inch speakers inside the car. That works for me. I
listen to a lot of techno, hip-hop, and rap, but I also like some good
rock, and some soft stuff (think Counting Crows). Sometimes I'll rock
out to all sorts of wierd crap on the same ride... Sometimes I get out
of the car with my ears ringing, sometimes it's just background noise
while there are others in the car. You can see my setup he
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2367650
So all that being said, I think that you should build a box. I
recommend building a sealed one, to start with, using your subwoofer
manufacturer's recommendations (really, to begin with, stick strictly
to those). If you like how that sounds, GREAT! Don't do anything
else. My guess is that eventually when you're ready, you'll want to
play around with building a new and possibly different box... You'll
want to play around with ports, and different materials, and more
power.... Your car stereo mania starts there. That's what happened to
more than a few of us out in the world. Welcome aboard!
~Mister.Lull

Just to clarify, by infinite baffle, I meant the type of boxes that have
the sub turned around with the front pointing into the box as opposed to
pointing out. I heard that you get lower frequencies with that and was
just curious as to your guy's thoughts about them.

What I am looking for is a cheap way of getting the low frequencies(33
and below). But I do really appreciate your input and think I will start
off with a sealed box and see how I like it. Thank you very much.

P.S. Do you happen to know of a good site for calculating ports and
stuff for a ported box?
Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek Vivek is offline

| Just to clarify, by infinite baffle, I meant the type of boxes that have
| the sub turned around with the front pointing into the box as opposed to
| pointing out. I heard that you get lower frequencies with that and was
| just curious as to your guy's thoughts about them.

No this understanding is wrong. There are two types of box config that
people refer to as Infinite baffle. One as Mister lull suggested; Sealed
box. Second is the installing of the sub on the parcel shelf of the sedan
and the complete trunk is used as a box.

| What I am looking for is a cheap way of getting the low frequencies(33
| and below).

You can get the response in the range =50 cheaply with sealed ones. For
lower responses more more or efficient calculations are required. But all
info is available on the net.

| P.S. Do you happen to know of a good site for calculating ports and
| stuff for a ported box?

Concepts with good illustration and calculator at one place
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Posted to rec.audio.car
Mister.Lull Mister.Lull is offline

Personally, I prefer the WinISD calculator. There are two versions
(alpha and beta), and both are free. To begin with get the Beta
version - it's slightly simpler, and more user friednly... :-)
~Mister.Lull
Vivek wrote:
| Just to clarify, by infinite baffle, I meant the type of boxes that have
| the sub turned around with the front pointing into the box as opposed to
| pointing out. I heard that you get lower frequencies with that and was
| just curious as to your guy's thoughts about them.

No this understanding is wrong. There are two types of box config that
people refer to as Infinite baffle. One as Mister lull suggested; Sealed
box. Second is the installing of the sub on the parcel shelf of the sedan
and the complete trunk is used as a box.

| What I am looking for is a cheap way of getting the low frequencies(33
| and below).

You can get the response in the range =50 cheaply with sealed ones. For
lower responses more more or efficient calculations are required. But all
info is available on the net.

| P.S. Do you happen to know of a good site for calculating ports and
| stuff for a ported box?

Concepts with good illustration and calculator at one place
http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm

Posted to rec.audio.car

Mister.Lull wrote:
Personally, I prefer the WinISD calculator. There are two versions
(alpha and beta), and both are free. To begin with get the Beta
version - it's slightly simpler, and more user friednly... :-)
~Mister.Lull

Two more quick questions for you gurus:

I am looking at subs and it says a sealed box volume of like .65 Ft^3 or
something similar. Should I stay as close as possible to that number, or
make it bigger or what? Also, can I make a box with twice that internal
area and use two subs in one big enclosure or should I keep the subs
separate?
Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek Vivek is offline

| I am looking at subs and it says a sealed box volume of like .65 Ft^3 or
| something similar. Should I stay as close as possible to that number, or
| make it bigger or what?

Bigger box can be shortened by putting extra bracing in there. I would
suggest to build the box with slightly higher dimensions say .70 cubic feet.
You can always put bracing to decrease the volume.

| Also, can I make a box with twice that internal
| area and use two subs in one big enclosure or should I keep the subs
| separate?

If one sub sometime breaks then the other will also sound bad (boomy). Build
a single box for the two and put just one divider wall. This will divide the
box and will also strengthen it.

Posted to rec.audio.car

Vivek wrote:
| I am looking at subs and it says a sealed box volume of like .65 Ft^3 or
| something similar. Should I stay as close as possible to that number, or
| make it bigger or what?

Bigger box can be shortened by putting extra bracing in there. I would
suggest to build the box with slightly higher dimensions say .70 cubic feet.
You can always put bracing to decrease the volume.

| Also, can I make a box with twice that internal
| area and use two subs in one big enclosure or should I keep the subs
| separate?

If one sub sometime breaks then the other will also sound bad (boomy). Build
a single box for the two and put just one divider wall. This will divide the
box and will also strengthen it.

Thanks for the advice.

If you dont mind answering another question:

What is the advantage of putting the front of the subwoofer pointed into
the sealed box with the rear sticking out? Different sound or just for
looks? Like so:
http://www.theloudest.co.uk/admin/si...95_5_large.gif
Posted to rec.audio.car
Vivek Vivek is offline

No difference in sound quality. The only difference is in the volume
calculations for the box. I believe you know how the volume is different.

Advantages:
- If you underestimated the box volume, you can compensate it by "sticking
out"
- It looks cool

Disadvantages:
- Hard to make it stealth. Easily gets the attention of thief.