Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Default Need New Tweets. Suggestions?

I just fried one of my tweeters, an MB Quart PTD25. I suppose I shouldn't
have been too surprised as I was running about 70 watts RMS to it (my fronts
are bi-amped). The ironic thing is that I discovered this yesterday as I
was installing a Coustic XM-3 active X-over before my tweeter amp to give me
a higher and sharper high-pass filter, which would have better protected the
tweeter and may have prevented this (I was just using a simple passive
X-over of -6dB per octave at 3000 Hz which, in hindsight, was probably not
adequate for this much power).

Anyway, I look at this as an opportunity because as much as I liked my MB
Quart tweets, I have to admit they did have a tendency to APPEAR to become
harsh and abrasive after extended listening sessions. They were very bright
and although this sound is impressive at first, they did seem to wear on
you. My home speakers are Michael Greene's and the tweeters are soft dome
and seem much more "laid-back". They are great for extended listening
sessions and it is this quality I am hoping to find for my car.

When folks ask, "What speakers should I get", I always tell them to go out
and listen to a bunch so I feel like a bit of a hypocrite for asking this
question but I buy so much of my gear on-line now AND I live 60 miles from
Seattle and with the price of gas I really don't want to have to run all
over the city trying to find retailers of this and that brand. I would
prefer to buy on-line, perhaps used on Ebay.

Anyway, I trust many of you and your opinions on this subject. As it stands
now, I have Focal and JL (I use JL VR series midbass drivers) on my short
list, but I am VERY open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

I take it their discontinued, but are there none, nowhere?

I might tell one to ask Madisound for possible replacements. They have been one
of the longest companies to be in business, while not specializing in car audio, MB
has been in the home speaker and driver business a long time also.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Godfrey Muganda

Try this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnat-RARE-Car-...QQcmdZViewItem

Only $15 shipped.

Although not well known in US, Magnat is highly respected in Europe

Cant lose for that price.

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40

i like infinity's reference line of silk tweeters

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
RG

I have tried many tweeters from ADS PX Concept to Macroms (Morel). I keep
coming back to the JL VR075 tweeters. These are the ones that come with the
VR components. They are made by Eton in Germany and are among the best I've
heard in a car listening environment. I've heard people praise Focals also
but I've heard they can be a little hard edged too. Another good choice
would be the Vifa ring radiators if you can integrate them in the car
somehow. They are among the best.
Always cross over tweeters at least 2 octaves above their free air
resonance, especially when using a 1st order filter. Your MB Quarts did not
have that low of an Fs and so probably sounded much worse than they should
have at a 3000hz 6db xover point. Not to mention damaging them. First order
crossovers are great if yo pick the right frequency. There is no phase shift
as in a 2nd order and if integrated with the woofer properly quite often
sounds better than the higher order filters. Many serious speaker engineers
still like 1st order filters although the experimentation to get them set up
properly with a particular driver is probably time consuming and therefore
expensive.

PS: JL underlap their VR series crossovers. The tweeters are crossed over
with a 12db slope at 5000hz and the woofers are 6db at 2900hz. This produces
a very smooth midrange along with a smooth but detailed high end. But you
cannot do that with the Coustic XM3, at least not on its own.

- RG

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS

In article , "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

The first time I scanned this, I thought you wanted replacements that sounded the same.
Highs are trickey. I bought a used JBL home speaker some time ago.
I did the ol listen to , and tune up, and tighten up. Loose screws, crimps, etc.
Well this was the JBL titianium line. I figure they like selling these hot.
I mean, to me the highs were a dB or two too hot up in the above
10 kHz range. I modified the crossover and fixed the problem. They sound great to me
now. The best way to get to know a driver is study the specs sheets. if they
don't have spec sheets, your just guessing or perhaps listening. Plots of on and off of axis are
necessary. For the most part, soft domes are probably most commonly used
in the best of HiFi, but its also how you use them.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Mosfet, Try these, Ebay item 150004502132. They are dirt cheap just the way
you like it.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

LOL
Yah, yah...

You're thinking they would go PERFECTLY with the amp that would be driving
them, right? Well, I trust Jensen's ability to produce a decent sounding
amplifier MUCH MORE than a Jensen produced tweeter. No thanks, I'll hold
out for something a tad better.

My philosophy has always been to devote the most resources on speakers (I
spent $550 on my MB Quart PSD215's, I'm not cheap for Pete's sake!). I have
just found over the years that, IMHO, one can often get away with scrimping
(buying the "B" and "C" level products) on some things, BUT NOT SPEAKERS if
you wish to have a truly GREAT sounding system.

ALSO, THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS RESPONDED SO FAR, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE
ADVICE (even you Howdy)!!!

MOSFET

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

LOL, I truly thought that you'd be happpy that I have found you a pair of
tweeters under $15, and yeah you're right they would go great with your Jensen
amp. But since you popped a tweeter you might want to upgrade to something
alittle more powerful, why not try a pair of JBL compression horns.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
LOL
Yah, yah...

You're thinking they would go PERFECTLY with the amp that would be driving
them, right? Well, I trust Jensen's ability to produce a decent sounding
amplifier MUCH MORE than a Jensen produced tweeter. No thanks, I'll hold
out for something a tad better.

My philosophy has always been to devote the most resources on speakers (I
spent $550 on my MB Quart PSD215's, I'm not cheap for Pete's sake!). I have
just found over the years that, IMHO, one can often get away with scrimping
(buying the "B" and "C" level products) on some things, BUT NOT SPEAKERS if
you wish to have a truly GREAT sounding system.

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Decided to go with JL VR Series. Thanks to all of you!

In truth I think I had been leaning towards JL from the get-go, but RG's
strong endorsement pushed me over the edge. I am indeed getting the
tweeters he recommened, the JL VR075. I found a used set on Ebay and have
already bought them...so don't bother trying to find them just to outbid me
or something .

Thanks to everyone who made sugestions, and RG, I'll let you know what I
think when I get them and install them.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Hopefully you have kept you bidding under a buck LOL.

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
In truth I think I had been leaning towards JL from the get-go, but RG's
strong endorsement pushed me over the edge. I am indeed getting the
tweeters he recommened, the JL VR075. I found a used set on Ebay and have
already bought them...so don't bother trying to find them just to outbid me
or something .

Thanks to everyone who made sugestions, and RG, I'll let you know what I
think when I get them and install them.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Nick,

Well my stupid Internet provider stopped allowing me to post new messages
for a few days, and now it's too late because you've already decided, but...

I LOVE my Dynaudio MD-100 tweeters. The most natural sounding, detailed
tweeters I've owned.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub
"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

I was going to chime in with the Directed Studio tweets (which I don't
think are made anymore and I don't know how the new SX tweets sound, or
the Diamond Audio Hex tweets. Very nice.

Brandonb
- love the silk tweets...

Tony F wrote:
Nick,

Well my stupid Internet provider stopped allowing me to post new messages
for a few days, and now it's too late because you've already decided, but...

I LOVE my Dynaudio MD-100 tweeters. The most natural sounding, detailed
tweeters I've owned.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I was wondering about Dynaudio and surprised you didn't chime in at the
time, Tony. I found a smokin' deal on Ebay (no jokes from you Howdy) on
these JL's right when RG was giving his ringing endorsement so I kind of
figured it was fate (and I don't want to be without tweets for very long).
I have NO DOUBT I would have liked the Dynaudio's as well, though. Thanks.

Nick