Posted to rec.audio.car
Mark Scott

Default Advice on speaker replacement

I'm going to be getting a new VW Golf GTI shortly. Just about the only
thing that I'm not happy about is the sound from the standard audio
setup, which is weak and thin sounding. For various reasons I want to
preserve the "standard" appearance of the interior, but I am very
reluctant to pay what VW are asking for their factory-fit audio system
upgrades. I definitely *don't* want to get into any very serious audio
system replacement, but I would like at least to replace the speakers with
something that has a bit more bottom end, and I'd consider an amplifier to
up the power output. Can I get some recommendations for places to look for
suitable equipment? I'm in UK btw.

Thanks.
Posted to rec.audio.car
RG

I would advise you research this issue on http://www.vwvortex.com/

This is the best VW owner's site. They have specific information on the new
MKV also, as well as info on all the other VW platforms. I have heard
rumours that the new VW's have integrated the stock headunits even more with
the onboard computer system and diagnostic circuits. Replacing speakers is
"relatively straight forward but you do have to drill out rivets to remove
the stock units as well as fabricate MDF spacers for the aftermarket ones.
Replacing the headunit may have other implications and that is why it is
best to check on VW Vortex. Someone there has already been through the
process on the new VW's no doubt.

For what it's worth, the Monsoon speakers (and system) in VW's are not bad
at all and can produce very strong bass. The weakness in the system has
always been the head units, whether it be the Monsoon or standard unit. As a
matter of fact, I think the Monsoon and standard system use the same HU. But
the Monsoon has a separate amp and active crossover. Doesn't help much
though because the HU still sucks. I replaced my wifes' '03 Jetta HU with a
Blaupunkt and the difference was astounding. It doesn't even need a
subwoofer and thats with it running off the Blaupunkt's internal amp
(although it does feed the separate Monsoon amp via the speaker leads and
factory harness). Works really well with nice full, rich sound ... and she
hates subwoofers anyway. You can get very nice sound in the newer VW's as
they are very well sound proofed in the doors and body cavities, etc.
compared to some other cars.

- RG

news

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Replacement Speaker for Vox AD15VT Michael L. Pro Audio 22 October 4th 05 10:24 PM
Speaker Replacement Advice Needed David Abrahams Pro Audio 15 November 6th 04 02:49 AM
Help Speaker replacement advice needed ayosha Tech 6 November 1st 03 06:20 PM
Seeking advice on speaker cable Eric the Mac Guy General 12 September 17th 03 11:39 AM