Posted to rec.audio.car
Thunder

Default help with subwoofer enclosure!! Please Help!!

I have 2 10" MTX Thunder 8000 subwoofers (model T8104a) that i want to build
a custom enclosure for. I was planning on building a flat enflosure on the
base of my trunk. Still debating doing that. Or i could build a sloped
enclosure but I really don't know what measurements i need to house the
subs. I have a new vw golf and the measurements of the trunk are 18H X 32W
X 39L.

Should i build a sloped enclosure to put in there or should i build a flat
box for the trunk and house them in there?

If i were to build a flat box for would i loose some of the power of these
subwoofers?

If i were to build a sloped enclosure could someone help me with the
dimentions that i would need to get the most from these subs?

Sealed or Ported?

Someone Please Help ME!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
"Thunder" wrote:

I have 2 10" MTX Thunder 8000 subwoofers (model T8104a) that i want to build
a custom enclosure for. I was planning on building a flat enflosure on the
base of my trunk. Still debating doing that. Or i could build a sloped
enclosure but I really don't know what measurements i need to house the
subs. I have a new vw golf and the measurements of the trunk are 18H X 32W
X 39L.

Should i build a sloped enclosure to put in there or should i build a flat
box for the trunk and house them in there?

Whichever is more functional for you.

If i were to build a flat box for would i loose some of the power of these
subwoofers?

In either case, as long as the airspace/alignment is the same it won't
matter. Within reason of course, a driver needs a certain amount of
space behind it to breathe properly.

If i were to build a sloped enclosure could someone help me with the
dimentions that i would need to get the most from these subs?

There are many sites that have easy calculators for these types of
things. Much easier than myself explaining it anyway hehe.

Sealed or Ported?

This is a matter of personal taste and opinion.

Someone Please Help ME!

--
-Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Posted to rec.audio.car
Thunder

There in lies the problem. I know nothing about how much airspace i need.
I know practically nothing about subwoofers but i am good with woodworking.
So the building part is not a problem.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

Just a quick look at the MTX website (mtx.com) shows anywhere between a .5
and 1 cu ft sealed box for those subs. If it were me, I'd make one right in
the middle at .75. That's for EACH one. Of course, if you want to go
ported, the box will have to be larger. I've always been happy with sealed,
your results may vary.

Check out http://www.bcae1.com for a bunch of information about building
speaker boxes.

As a matter of flat or sloped, that would depend greatly on how you want to
utilize what space is left in your trunk, if you want to be able to still
put your seats down for longer items, etc.

Good luck.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
Thunder

Ok...Here are my dimentions that i want to use.
let me know what you think!

I'm making a flat box to go on the floor of the trunk. 39 x 17 x 7 which
gives me 3 cubic feet of space. This box will be ported. How big does the
port have to be and is the 7 inchs enough mount depth space?

"Thunder" wrote in message
I have 2 10" MTX Thunder 8000 subwoofers (model T8104a) that i want to
build a custom enclosure for. I was planning on building a flat enflosure
on the base of my trunk. Still debating doing that. Or i could build a
sloped enclosure but I really don't know what measurements i need to house
the subs. I have a new vw golf and the measurements of the trunk are 18H X
32W X 39L.

Should i build a sloped enclosure to put in there or should i build a flat
box for the trunk and house them in there?

If i were to build a flat box for would i loose some of the power of these
subwoofers?

If i were to build a sloped enclosure could someone help me with the
dimentions that i would need to get the most from these subs?

Sealed or Ported?

Someone Please Help ME!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Thunder

sorry. dimentions that i wanted to use are 39 x 29 x 7

Posted to rec.audio.car
GregS

In article , "Thunder" wrote:
Ok...Here are my dimentions that i want to use.
let me know what you think!

I'm making a flat box to go on the floor of the trunk. 39 x 17 x 7 which
gives me 3 cubic feet of space. This box will be ported. How big does the
port have to be and is the 7 inchs enough mount depth space?

Port size will depend on the driver. You can also use external ports if necessary.
First find something that fits. I installed a stealth system in my 280Z, in
that I added no external box. I used 4 - 6.5 inchers. Ports were not required on my system.

greg

"Thunder" wrote in message
I have 2 10" MTX Thunder 8000 subwoofers (model T8104a) that i want to
build a custom enclosure for. I was planning on building a flat enflosure
on the base of my trunk. Still debating doing that. Or i could build a
sloped enclosure but I really don't know what measurements i need to house
the subs. I have a new vw golf and the measurements of the trunk are 18H X
32W X 39L.

Should i build a sloped enclosure to put in there or should i build a flat
box for the trunk and house them in there?

If i were to build a flat box for would i loose some of the power of these
subwoofers?

If i were to build a sloped enclosure could someone help me with the
dimentions that i would need to get the most from these subs?

Sealed or Ported?

Someone Please Help ME!

Posted to rec.audio.car
Cyrus

In article ,
"Thunder" wrote:

There in lies the problem. I know nothing about how much airspace i need.
I know practically nothing about subwoofers but i am good with woodworking.
So the building part is not a problem.

That, ironically, is a good place to start. Most don't have a grasp on
either and try to jump in too far. IMO If you're interested enough, get
a book on the very basics of how speakers work to get a simple
understanding. Then cheat with modeling programs/online calculators and
such.

The best thing about diy is that you decide how you want it to
look/sound.

After this somewhat long post, sorry but I have no help for you with
ported enclosures. Thats just not my department.

--
-Cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*
Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

WTF kind of size is this? You want this to be 39" wide by 29" high and 7"
deep? What do you want the port tuned at? Your 8000's are single or dual coil?
WTF is the model number, say'n that you have 8000's tells me jack. Dude like
WTF. LOL

In article , "Thunder"
wrote:
sorry. dimentions that i wanted to use are 39 x 29 x 7

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

"sorry. dimentions that i wanted to use are 39 x 29 x 7"

Yes, that will get you "roughly" about 3 cu ft of space, or 1.5 for each
sub. I would say that the port length, using a 3" diameter tube, will vary
slightly depending on the final internal volume of the box (which is listed
on the website). This will be dependent on any bracing you use, the
displacement of the basket (which is listed in the specs on the website),
and the internal divider between the two woofers.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F

"WTF kind of size is this? You want this to be 39" wide by 29" high and 7"
deep? What do you want the port tuned at? Your 8000's are single or dual
coil?
WTF is the model number, say'n that you have 8000's tells me jack. Dude like
WTF. LOL"

Hey Captain!! He did list the model number in his original post, they're
T8104a's.

Lay off the booze, dude!! WTF LOL WTF LOL

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

Lay off the booze, dude!! WTF LOL WTF LOL

Tony

Yes, committing a PWI (Posting While Intoxicated) is never a pretty thing.
And yes, I have committed this offense on occasion. You wonder the next day
why in the world you got so God damn ticked off at someone over a discussion
about wattage or impedance or something. You wonder the next day, "Who the
hell cares?".

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

I don't drink, But I did miss the post with the model number.

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
"WTF kind of size is this? You want this to be 39" wide by 29" high and 7"
deep? What do you want the port tuned at? Your 8000's are single or dual
coil?
WTF is the model number, say'n that you have 8000's tells me jack. Dude like
WTF. LOL"

Hey Captain!! He did list the model number in his original post, they're
T8104a's.

Lay off the booze, dude!! WTF LOL WTF LOL

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Round ports are most gay unless you buy ports with flared ends. Internal
divider/s between the two woofers are a total waste of money and wood unless
you plan on powering each sub from it's own amp and even then it's not totally
needed.

box size 39 x 29 x 7

Wood thinkness 0.75"

VB 2.943 cuft

Total 3.282 cuft

single rectangle port:

5.5" X 4" X 13.5" deep = FB= 34.08hz F3= 29.12

5.5" X 4" X 11.5" deep = FB= 35.92hz F3= 30.17hz

5.5" X 4" X 9.5" deep = FB= 38.18hz F3 =31.47hz

In article , "Tony F"
wrote:
"sorry. dimentions that i wanted to use are 39 x 29 x 7"

Yes, that will get you "roughly" about 3 cu ft of space, or 1.5 for each
sub. I would say that the port length, using a 3" diameter tube, will vary
slightly depending on the final internal volume of the box (which is listed
on the website). This will be dependent on any bracing you use, the
displacement of the basket (which is listed in the specs on the website),
and the internal divider between the two woofers.

Tony

rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
FOR SALE: new 15'' JL audio w3 subwoofer in cuztom enclosure my99cavy Car Audio 0 April 16th 06 06:01 AM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM
rec.audio.car FAQ (Part 3/5) Ian D. Bjorhovde Car Audio 0 March 6th 04 06:54 AM
Need advice selecting subwoofer, enclosure for a boat Captain Norm Car Audio 2 September 15th 03 07:04 PM