Arny Krueger

Default Comparing my '80s era setup to current equipment

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

I am using a NAD 7225 receiver and KEF C30 speakers that
I bought in the mid-80s. I bought a Sony CD player at the
same time, but it died years ago and now I play CDs
through my inexpensive DVD player with no noticeable loss
of quality. I am starting to think about buying new
equipment and wonder how my old equipment compares to
what is currently available.

If nothing else, your old equipment is about 20 years old,
and should be gone over by a tech to see if any parts have
degraded.

I used to think this setup sounded great and my only
complaint was that the speakers were overly sensitive to
their own placement and the placement of the listener.
Now it just doesn't sound great anymore. I don't know if
its in my head or not. It can't be that I am bored with
my music because I add new music and even new genres to
my collection all the time. I checked to see if the
speakers were in phase and everything else I could think
of.

You might consider borrowing a newer receiver and see how
things sound.

My most specific question is: how much would I have to
spend to get better sound than my current setup? More
general questions would be if technology has marched very
far ahead during these last 20 years and if this type of
equipment suffers from age. Also, I spent around $600 for
this stuff at time of purchase. If I spent the same for
replacements, how much better would they sound?

Probably better presuming no degradation of your equipment.
Speaker technology has marched forward in the past 20 or so
years.

I am also thinking of upgrading my setup piecemeal. I am
thinking of first adding a subwoofer and then later
replacing one of the existing components and then later
replacing what was left. Would adding a subwoofer make
sense?

If all is well with your old equipment, a subwoofer will
provide considerably bass extension which is, if done well,
a good thing.

Is one of these two parts so ancient that it must
go first, before anything else is bought?

Nothing a prioir must go. But, you might find some newer
technology, particularly in the subwoofer or replacment
speakers, that could be attractive.

Mr.T

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
Speaker technology has marched forward in the past 20 or so
years.

Certainly, but there are plenty of 20 year old speakers still performing
better than many modern units. The main factor will be the cost in each
case. If cost is not a consideration, then there is no problem getting
improved performance. If cost is an issue (as it usually is) then you should
do a proper comparison before making assumptions.

MrT.

Peter Larsen

hoarse with no name wrote:

I am using a NAD 7225 receiver and KEF C30 speakers that
I bought in the mid-80s.

I would not rush replacing those loudspeakers. I would want to try with
an alternative receiver, Cambridge, Rotel comes to mind as manufacturers
I own stuff by that seems likeable out of the box sans modification.

TIA

Kind regards

Peter Larsen