Michael

Default Examples of current, outstanding music:

Hello, all.

We spend a lot talking about vintage stuff, which is all well and good,=20
but a decent amount of current recordings sound great. My personal=20
favorite has to go with Norah Jone=92s =93Come Away with me=94. While it=
is=20
not hot off the presses, it=92s fairly current in the sense that it can=20
still be purchased, and it sounds terrific on my vintage and current hi=20
fi systems. Going in another direction, I thought =93Classic Old-Time=20
Music from Smithsonian Folkways=94 was a marvelous example of=20
re-mastering: all the original songs--such as, The New Lost City=20
Ramblers=92 =93Bill Morgan and His Gal (My Name is Morgan But It Ain't=20
J.P.)=94--sound more lively and accurate than ever.

What current recordings stick out in your mind?

Michael
Russ Button

Michael wrote:

What current recordings stick out in your mind?

I'm very fond of a cabaret singer named Wesla Whitfield.
Some of her earlier recordings have her listed as Weslia.
She typically records with just 2 to 4 instruments behind
her, so there's plenty of detail and air.

From a musical standpoint I really enjoy her singing because
she endeavors to tell a story with every song. She's more
than just a pretty voice.

She lives in the San Francisco area and tours a bit. She also
typically does a run at the Algonquin Room in New York City
every year.

I'm also quite fond of the work of Scott Hamilton. A great
tenor sax player with many of the same qualities that make
Wesla's work so enjoyable.

Lastly I'd like to recommend the solo Bach Partita recordings
of Rachael Podger. They are extraordinary.

Russ Button
Uptown Audio

There are literally tons of great sounding recordings. The shortage
seems to be in great art. This extends to the studio as well as from
the musicians/songwriters. Obviously there are still a lot of great
artists, but the level of work being produced today is at a noticable
level short of the quality it once was. It is so easy to use effects
and processing after the recording that less attention is paid (or
skill directed) to the actual recording itself. The most obvious
offenders are in the "Pop" area where there is a huge void of talent.
I guess I'm getting old, but I remember when the Beatles and others
from the "British Invasion" were considered "Pop" and at least there
was some talent there. I still have a lot of those old recordings,
where I don't even feel any desire to buy much of the newer stuff in
the "Pop" or "Rap" catagories. I do have quite a lot of more modern
music, but many people have sadly never even heard of the artists as
they don't get radio play or "Prime Time" on MTV.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Michael" wrote in message
Hello, all.

We spend a lot talking about vintage stuff, which is all well and
good,
but a decent amount of current recordings sound great. My personal
favorite has to go with Norah Jone’s “Come Away with me”. While it is
not hot off the presses, it’s fairly current in the sense that it can
still be purchased, and it sounds terrific on my vintage and current
hi
fi systems. Going in another direction, I thought “Classic Old-Time
Music from Smithsonian Folkways” was a marvelous example of
re-mastering: all the original songs--such as, The New Lost City
Ramblers’ “Bill Morgan and His Gal (My Name is Morgan But It Ain't
J.P.)”--sound more lively and accurate than ever.