Don Good

Default Telos Zephyr

Hey, all,

I've seen a used Telos Zephyr that I am considering adding to my home
studio for ISDN capabilities. The Telos product line has moved
forward to the Zephyr XStream. I'm wondering if I buy the older Telos
Zephyr will I be regretting it in the not too distant future? Will it
become obsolete? Or will studios continue to support it? Gut
feelings, anyone? What would you suppose is the market value for a
slighty used Telos Zephyr unit?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
Media Voice Productions

Don Good wrote:
Hey, all,

I've seen a used Telos Zephyr that I am considering adding to my home
studio for ISDN capabilities. The Telos product line has moved
forward to the Zephyr XStream. I'm wondering if I buy the older Telos
Zephyr will I be regretting it in the not too distant future? Will it
become obsolete? Or will studios continue to support it? Gut
feelings, anyone? What would you suppose is the market value for a
slighty used Telos Zephyr unit?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Hi Don,

The Zephyr is a nice piece of equipment. It all depends on what
you'd have to pay for it in its used state. In two year's time
codecs will probably all be either in streaming IP-format or over
the web. You'd have to condider if you can cater clients for a
number of years. If they on their part renew all their stuff within
a year from now, your Zephyr will prove to be obsolete.

What are you paying for that second hand? And does it justify the
times you are gong to want to use it? Please answer that, so you
don't spent too much...

Apart from that, it's a very, very relyable codec. I have been using
several myself flawlessly. And even stations that use X-tream format
can connect with you since all models by Telos are backwards
compatible. A proper (outbound) setting for you could be
(considering an ISDN-2 system):

L2-128 Kb/s MONO, which sounds as good as if it were 256 stereo!
If you don't object to 'better than AM-sound return' you could use
the G722-format for the return signal to you. The advantage is, that
you don't have the delay on the way back.

A station (or other client) that talks to you sending G722 uses all
the bandwith of one of the ISDN-2 lines, giving you a little better
than telephone quality return. If a guy on the other side asks you a
question, you can reply immediately! The delay on the way up there
still remains, but that's a mere 0.3 seconds.

If you put the return on L2-128 MONO as well, you have about 0.7
seconds total delay.

Hope it helps...

Best regards from The Netherlands

Edo Peters

Steve King

"Media Voice Productions" wrote in message
Don Good wrote:
[...]

In my voice-over and narration business the old model was narrate in an ISDN
equipped studio to record at another ISDN equipped studio, both arranged by
and paid for by my client. I find that now many of those clients are
choosing to do the sessions by phone-patch and receive their files via FTP
over the Internet minutes after the session concludes. They never have to
leave their editing suite. The economies are obvious. I believe this trend
away from ISDN will continue.

Steve King